Critical thinking and political matters.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:24 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Trust me. The possibility that the mosque will be build on that site is dead. And so it should be.

Trust you? You can't even make a coherent argument but we should trust your conclusions?

There are a lot of reasons why it might not be built. Public opinion is pretty short on the list. If it takes 3 years to get funding, the public won't care about it in that time period. They will be up in arms over something else that the RW has ginned up as some horrible thing that will destroy America.

You are confused-again. I did not ask you to trust me about whether the building should be erected. Why would I do that? I asked you to trust me that the building will not be erected on that site. And you need not even do that, since it should be clear even to you that the mosquerteers are giving up, as they ought to, and as they have to.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:29 am
@kennethamy,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Trust me. The possibility that the mosque will be build on that site is dead. And so it should be.

Trust you? You can't even make a coherent argument but we should trust your conclusions?

There are a lot of reasons why it might not be built. Public opinion is pretty short on the list. If it takes 3 years to get funding, the public won't care about it in that time period. They will be up in arms over something else that the RW has ginned up as some horrible thing that will destroy America.
kennethamy wrote:

You are confused-again. I did not ask you to trust me about whether the building should be erected. Why would I do that? I asked you to trust me that the building will not be erected on that site. And you need not even do that, since it should be clear even to you that the mosquerteers are giving up, as they ought to, and as they have to.
That 's very clever.

Did something happen, causing u to believe
that thay have given up ??

David
kennethamy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:

Quote:

kennethamy wrote:

That 's very clever.

Did something happen, causing u to believe
that thay have given up ??

David

Given up on that site? Yes. They are going to "discuss" moving the site with the Governor of New York. That would not happen if there wasn't going to be a change. Anyway, they have not collected any money to build on that site, and unless Saudi Arabia comes up with the cash, they won't since public pressure is too strong. I think that Governor Patterson mentioned something about "offering" them a different site. That can't mean State land, since that would conflict with Church/State separation, but he may be able to offer them a little sweetener. Anyway, the fact that "discussions" will be held means that's the end of that story.

Don't your fonts contain lower case letters? It is considered rude to shout.
parados

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:15 am
@kennethamy,
I guess I wasn't clear. I assumed you would understand I meant on the site...

Let me clarify.

Quote:

There are a lot of reasons why it might not be built on that site. Public opinion is pretty short on the list.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Don't your fonts contain lower case letters? It is considered rude to shout.

My critical thinking detects hypocrisy.

kennethamy wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Never mind. I guess courtesy is foreign to you. Most A2Kers, as a rule, do not abuse the quote button.

Come again?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:17 am
@kennethamy,
But when you bring up public opinion in the framework of democracy and elected persons acting on that public opinion then it IS a constitutional issue. When the government acts, it can only act under the framework of the constitution. If the government stops the building of a mosque it becomes a Constitutional issue.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sometimes a hammer is needed to bring across some simple idea.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:00 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
But when you bring up public opinion in the framework of democracy and elected persons acting on that public opinion then it IS a constitutional issue. When the government acts, it can only act under the framework of the constitution. If the government stops the building of a mosque it becomes a Constitutional issue.
Can 't deny THAT.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Sometimes a hammer is needed to bring across some simple idea.
Please use a clean hammer; thank u.

David
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It is clean; it's called nature clean.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
Can 't accept that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I guess you have no need to piss or crap. Even birds do it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I guess you have no need to piss or crap. Even birds do it.
It is impolite to raise scatological topics.

David
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:
Can 't deny THAT.

David

What government has stopped the building of the mosque? Apparently the White House was all for it. It even tried arguing that if anyone tried to stop it, that would be illegal. (That was the red herring argument of Obama's Ramadan speech).
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:20 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
It even tried arguing that if anyone tried to stop it, that would be illegal. (That was the red herring argument of Obama's Ramadan speech).

It WOULD be illegal to stop it, and it's not a red herring in any way. It's against the law to discriminate based on religion.

Cycloptichorn
kennethamy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
It even tried arguing that if anyone tried to stop it, that would be illegal. (That was the red herring argument of Obama's Ramadan speech).

It WOULD be illegal to stop it, and it's not a red herring in any way. It's against the law to discriminate based on religion.

Cycloptichorn
kennethamy

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

It is not be illegal to try to stop it by the use of public opinion (as was done) but it would not be legal to argue that the group did not have the right to erect the building. But, in a democracy, the use of public opinion is never illegal, since it is protected by the First Amendment. And, apparently it has been stopped by public opinion. If you think that is illegal you are free to sue.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

It is not be illegal to try to stop it by the use of public opinion (as was done) but it would not be legal to argue that the group did not have the right to erect the building. But, in a democracy, the use of public opinion is never illegal, since it is protected by the First Amendment. And, apparently it has been stopped by public opinion. If you think that is illegal you are free to sue.

I didn't claim that that was illegal, so why would I sue? And, I would point out, neither did Obama.

I do think this whole thing is ginned up by a bunch of closeted and not-so-closeted bigots, who were looking for a hot-button item to get the mouth-breathers riled up about in advance of the Fall elections. Sad to see just how effective they are at doing that.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy, Your assumptions are based on fiction; we're not arguing about the right to protest. We're basing our argument on the right of any religion to build a church/temple/synagogue/mosque on any land in the US where it's not legally prohibited. You're talking about feelings and sensitivity; we're talking about ethical, logical, and rights.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It even tried arguing that if anyone tried to stop it, that would be illegal.
(That was the red herring argument of Obama's Ramadan speech).
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It WOULD be illegal to stop it, and it's not a red herring in any way.
It's against the law to discriminate based on religion.

Cycloptichorn
Not necessarily; it is in some ways, but not in others.
It depends on how u do it.

David