My daughter (the 4 year old) is driving me nuttie!!!

Sugar

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:16 pm
About the food - I hate potatoes but that's what my mother made for dinner and I had to eat them. She never gave me more than she knew I could eat and wouldn't let me eat anything else until I finished them. My brother didn't like vegetables at all. He'd sit until sleepy and if he didn't eat them she's threaten to put them in the fridge and he'd have them for breakfast (she'd have done it too). He ate them and, after a while, we both figured out that if we just ate what she put in front of us we'd all be happier. We're both still alive.

My aunt and uncle were big eaters and always gave us more than we could eat. My mother knew this and told us we didn't have to finish it, as long as she was satisfied that we had a little of everything.

I don't think onyxelle is forcing her to eat - I think she's angry that her daughter is defying her "don't throw food away" and "don't be a sneak" rules. She doesn't want to finish it? Fine. She doesn't get anything else then. Also, yes, she's only 4 - and 4 year olds know what they are and aren't allowed to do and she knows that she'll be punished if she breaks the rules.

Then again, I'm not anyone's mother, just someone's child. I remember 4 and 14 and 24 - every age had it's rules and consequences from my parents. Everyone has different philosophies on parenting and being a mother is the hardest job in the world. I don't know....the way onyxelle disciplines reminds me of the way my mother disciplined and the way I would hope to be strong enough to discipline my own children someday.

As part of my lengthy ramble, there's one exception. My mother would sometimes (very few times) put soap in our mouths if we lied. GAWD I hated that - worst thing ever. We couldn't wash it out and just try to get a towel to wipe it off of our tongues. The only thing I'll never do. I always wished to just get smacked or yelled at and get it over with. eewwwww....just thinking about it......
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:30 pm
I think this all depends on what you mean by accidently threw food away. Unless you're sure that it was indeed on purpose, I don't think you should punish her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:21 pm
Sounds like you found a nice work-around, onyxelle.
Good to hear your little miss had a little serving of green beans last night. Are they part of her group of 'veggies that aren't disgusting', or are all veggies icky right now?
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:49 am
onyxelle,

You must be consistent!!!!
I have made threats like that before and have learned a valuable lesson.
Try next time to make a threat that will not THREATEN you if you have to follow thru with it.
Threaten to take a toy away, threaten to not read any bedtime stories that night, threaten to make her clean up her toys etc...

You must follow thru!!! Otherwise she will not believe you the next time you threaten something and will misbehave because she thinks your not serious!!!

As far as the whole eating thing...I have the same problem.
And I DO SPANK THEM...I know its not the issue here and I will try not to make it one.

Just stick to your guns if you don't you'll pay big time for it when she is a teenager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies