What Makes Humans Human?

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:54 pm
@littlek,
Some people recognize animal love in their actions. Some people don't see love in other people. That's just the "nature" of things.
littlek

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 02:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Something so simple as a fruit fly can show "emotion-like behavior"....

Quote:
The flies showed a primitive emotion-like behavior. Prompted by a series of brisk air puffs delivered in rapid succession, the flies ran around their test chambers in a frantic manner, and kept it up for several minutes. Even after the flies had calmed down, they remained hypersensitive to a single air puff.

The research showed that Drosophila produces a pheromone — a chemical messenger — that promotes aggression, and directly linked it to specific neurons in the fly's antenna.

http://www.livescience.com/animals/fly-agression-bts-100115.html
littlek

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 02:51 pm
My theory about the dirth of info about animal brain imaging as a means to study emotion and conscience is that the animal would likely need to be MADE unconscious before being scanned. Defeats the purpose....

Another animal study on emotion-like behavior:
Quote:
An animal living in a world where it is regularly threatened by predators will develop a negative emotion or 'mood', such as anxiety, whereas one in an environment with plenty of opportunities to acquire resources for survival will be in a more positive mood state.

The researchers argue that these emotional states not only reflect the animal's experiences, they also help it decide how to make choices, especially in ambiguous situations, which could have good or bad outcomes.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100803212013.htm
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:15 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I'm interested in Thomas idea of brain scans. People here are bestowing upon other animals a lot of traits (or lack there of) that are hard to prove given that the later don't communicate well with us.

Truth be told, I stole the idea from Temple Grandin and her book, Animals Make Us Human. Grandin uses the physiology of animal brains in general, and brain scans in particular, to counter allegations by her opponents that animals don't genuinely suffer in badly-run slaugterhouses, feedlots, and so forth. Investigating moral sentiments in a similar way seemed like a straightforward extension of her idea.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:29 pm
@littlek,
Hence the debate over the intelligence of dolphins, considered by many to be the most intelligent creature in the ocean (though an argument can made also for octopi). Just because we speak a verbal language doesn't mean the type of communications in which they engage isn't highly evolved/intelligent as well. If we allow our biased species-centric definition about what is intelligent and evolved then we could be missing the boat.

As a communal species they have some intricate types of communication of clicks and (beyond-human-hearing-range) sounds that could be considered language. Yes, they have no hands, so they can't write or clearly display to us our species-centric brand of abstract thought; however, as far as working cooperatively within a community to respond to danger, they are unparalleled. They cooperate to defeat enemies (typically sharks) using an uncanny teamwork. I wouldn't overlook dolphins, octopi and cuttlefish as superior intellectual beings.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@Ragman,
They're ugly as hell, but good eat'n.
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Dolphins aren't ugly CI!
Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:08 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Fido!

I agree with almost everything you have written here, with one exception. I do believe that animals have a sense of past and future.

Why does a bird fly south? Why does a bear hibernate? Why do animals give birth in early spring? Why does a predator wait at an ambush site? Why does a bird build a nest? Why do creatures migrate?
Why do animals run from fire? Why do my dogs remember their old haunts? Why does an animal avoid certain places?

I won't go on, but I see this issue in a different way.

Kind regards!
Mark...

I would say instinct is a compulsion, and is not a matter of rational thought, or a weighing of circumstances... Since it cannot be taught it is not learned... In the same sense, much of human behavior, though we contemplate it, is pre rational and has more to do with an instinctual bonding between mother and child first, and then all of ones community... It is not instinct, as I would say Nietzsche presumed, which tears a person apart from his community and makes him criminal, but the instinct for survival that allows for all bonding between people... Healthy people abhore even the deaths they inevitably cause, and we would prefer everywhere to have friends and know peace, and for peace and friendship we are often used and abused... That one who wants peace most is always at a disadvantage; but to want it not at all is psychopathic....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:20 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi!

As for the dog eating its own excrement. This is not unnatural. Some faeces has further nutrition to offer. Some animals do it to remove their scent from an area. Some to clean up a living area.
My youngest dog did it for a while, when young, because he was the litter runt, and his brothers always beat him to the food. The people we adopted him from told us that his mother did it to.

The dog's in question in these previous posts are not showing guilt, they are anxious as to how their owner will react. Whether you beat them is irrelevant - You always reacted negatively and this is what they are responding to. had you praised and patted them at these moments, they would do it more often with wagging tails.

I stopped mine from doing it by not reacting at all. I sprinkled a few drops of hot chilli sauce on it, whenever he went. It stopped shortly afterwards.

Kind regards!
mark...

Years ago I pointed out to a fellow ironworker a man who had once saved my life, and the wit asked: how??? Did he kill a **** eating dog??? Considering that I had that man's respect when Ironworkers are so seldom even capable of self respect, I can only wonder was others less generous said about me behind my back... As one old Ironworker said: I would get my kid into the business, but I don't want to subject him to the assholes... Something about the demands of the job, the constant stress, the hard work, the courage meeting the demands for courage, the desire and the frustration certainly did create a lot of assholes... And some times it is just what you see in people... One Bruiser I got way too close to was once told by a business agent that he would not man his job... The bruiser replied: If you don't man it I'll put it up with pimps and whores... Your buildings do not get erected by people inclined to give up because of an impediment, and they are inclined to look at all people who get in their way as impediments, objects instead of people...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Fido wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Have you ever had a dog? Have you ever caught it eating poop? I have, and the expression of guilt in their faces is so obvious and intense that seeing it makes me feel sad for them every time. [...]

You are clearly projecting... Maybe you have tried the crap sampler plater at Chez Butthole???

I will grant you that what I say about dog behavior involves interpretation. Then again, so do the things you say about my behavior, i.e., my post. I don't think there's any more projection on my part when I talk about dogs than there is on your part when you talk about me.

But never mind what I think. We are talking about natural phenomena here, so let's talk about testable, scientific predictions. Sometime not too far in the future, we will be able to run brain scans on dogs who had just done something they shouldn't have, and who are making the "guilty face". (Every dog owner knows just what face I mean.) I predict that the scans will show activity in the same areas of dog brains as the areas active in human brains whose owners feel guilt. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of experiment had already been run---in which case I would be grateful for links to its result.

Mea culpa..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
We have the teeth and the eyes of a preditor,
When australopithecenes broke from the older pongid lines, the family was certainly omnivorous, with carnivorous preferences, hence the teeth and binocular vision ("eyes in front, born to hunt, eyes on the side, runs and hide")

However, Australopithecenes and the earlier "Post common ancestors" were vegetarians (Like gorillas or the great apes who also have carnivore dentition but are "learned vegetarians").

You cannot make "Rules" based upon dentition since evolution deems that we are ALL intermediate species of something. There is no "plateau " of evolution, everything is "becoming something else"

We have stopped human evolution in its tracks, and it is because of our concepts, ideas, and forms that we have been able to adapt...
Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:32 am
@rich8ames,
rich8ames wrote:

this is easy. we love. show feelings and affection. what else really does, and if you say an animal, how do you really know. you can't talk to them.

We cannot talk to animals, but they talk to us... Dog in particular thrive on love and give it... AS I was saying, that emotionalism is the now, and the now is out of time... Do you think you can capture even the most simple of emotions with a word??? The fact that we put our emotions into words means we have put them into the context of past and future, taken them out of the context in which they are natural, new, and genuine... As with all concepts, our names are judgements, and in the case of emotions cannot begin to express the variety and voluum of them...We live in our emotions, but our advance into becoming human demanded that we rationalize them, often to the point of denial to reach a goal of survivl...It is easy to tell that animals feel emotions, simple emotions, and difficult to tell most of us feel emotions, because conealing of our feelings becomes for so many a full thim job...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 09:38 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Quote:
this is easy. we love. show feelings and affection. what else really does, and if you say an animal, how do you really know. you can't talk to them.

Other animals can't speak, but that is no proof of either side of an argument. They can neither tell you that they do love nor can they tell you that they don't love.

I'm interested in Thomas idea of brain scans. People here are bestowing upon other animals a lot of traits (or lack there of) that are hard to prove given that the later don't communicate well with us.

Both dog and cat communicate with me around here... It is mostly one way, and not terribly complex, but no less real...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:18 am
@mark noble,
I think he meant octopi.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:22 am
My son has a pair of eight or nine year old cats, brother and sister from the same litter. He moved four times after acquiring them and has noticed that they adapt different "vocalizations" with each move. His male cat has a particular cry he makes when he wants the litter changed and another when he is hungry. His sister has a cry she makes when she can't find him.

The oldest of our cats comes to fetch us when she wants something, patiently stopping and waiting if we don't catch her meaning.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 10:30 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

My son has a pair of eight or nine year old cats, brother and sister from the same litter. He moved four times after acquiring them and has noticed that they adapt different "vocalizations" with each move. His male cat has a particular cry he makes when he wants the litter changed and another when he is hungry. His sister has a cry she makes when she can't find him.

The oldest of our cats comes to fetch us when she wants something, patiently stopping and waiting if we don't catch her meaning.

I have a 22 year old cat that does the same. I know from her sounds and gestures exactly what she is trying to convey to me. One example is when she wants water (she likes cold water rather than tepid which it becomes in the dish), she makes a sound that actually sounds like waaaaatr and she prances over to the sink and looks up. That is the only time she makes that particular sound.

Our dog, Kelsey, had the same expressions that Thomas speaks of. She had that guilty look and would look away and hang her head. She knew right and wrong, in certain circumstances. She conveyed love with her eyes and her 'hugs'. The cat even seemed to show emotion when Kelsey passed away.
mark noble

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 11:35 am
@plainoldme,
Hi POM!

I know that, thank you. But I couldn't resist such a sitter like that.

Have a good day!
Mark...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

I have a 22 year old cat that does the same. I know from her sounds and gestures exactly what she is trying to convey to me. One example is when she wants water (she likes cold water rather than tepid which it becomes in the dish), she makes a sound that actually sounds like waaaaatr and she prances over to the sink and looks up. That is the only time she makes that particular sound.

Our dog, Kelsey, had the same expressions that Thomas speaks of. She had that guilty look and would look away and hang her head. She knew right and wrong, in certain circumstances. She conveyed love with her eyes and her 'hugs'. The cat even seemed to show emotion when Kelsey passed away.
Eating crap always killed me, too... Oh wait! I finally got my fill..
Dogs communicate with their eyes, and are very eye sensitive.... You can get bit just by looking at a strange dog. You can show disappointment to your own dog by not looking at him... My uncle who likes to be an expert says that Cats can have as many as 18 distinct vocalizations, and I can believe it.. Do any of them have any complex emotions like guilt, which necessarily involves the self conception of a person in the eyes of his community??? No.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 02:00 pm
@Fido,
Are you sure? No you are not. There is no proof either way, yet you take the high road that you know something for certain when that is not possible.

Perhaps you could explain your eating crap line.
mark noble

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 04:37 pm
@Fido,
Hi Fido!

Are you saying that animals have no emotional qualities?
Or that they have less emotions than us apes?

I'm going to start a thread on animal emotions.

Kind regards!
Mark...