What Makes Humans Human?

Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:54 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
We are the only animal than can ask an abstract question, and have another member of our species understand it (even if they can't answer it).

I agree as far as it goes. But how is that qualitatively different from a Cheetah being the only animal that can run faster than 60 miles per hour?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@mark noble,
Humans rationalize and reason with many important decision of their lives, but that can end up as immoral, greed, criminal, or just plain wrong.

What do you think Hurd was thinking when he falsified his expense reports?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:53 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Not according to hex.
Please don't put words in my mouth, I really hate that.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
HH, "Rationalize and reason" can also be wrong.
Yes indeed, which was quite evident in the medival times with superstision and misconception, not saying these things are erradicated in the modern world.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 07:24 am
@littlek,
We have conscience, that's what sets us apart from animals.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:13 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
We have conscience, that's what sets us apart from animals.
Many animals does have conscience, they just don't have the same ways of expressing it as humans.
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:14 am
@HexHammer,
I mean they're not as aware as us, we have a higher conscience if you like.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:25 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
I mean they're not as aware as us, we have a higher conscience if you like.
I'm afraid that's supersticion. Animals can trek around half the world and still come back to the excat same spot, seems you speak out of ignorence.
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:28 am
@HexHammer,
Can an animal make a rocket, can it add 1 plus one 1, does it know what the sun is, we have a higher conscience. And the only one whose ignorant is you,ie, your spelling is appalling, are you english speaking?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:31 am
@Caroline,
Caroline, Some animals are capable of simple math.
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ok but you can see the point I'm trying to make. Are they really, that's fascinating, how so?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:35 am
@Caroline,
Follow this link to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cognition
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks. Yes it amazes me how intelligent animals are especially mammals.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:04 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:
We are the only animal than can ask an abstract question, and have another member of our species understand it (even if they can't answer it).

I agree as far as it goes. But how is that qualitatively different from a Cheetah being the only animal that can run faster than 60 miles per hour?

I didn't say it makes us better, only different.

Also, being able to run 60mph instead of 30mph is a quantitative difference. Being able to think (and communicate) in a way that no other animal can, is a qualitative difference. We aren't just thinking "faster" than other animals, we're thinking "differently" than other animals.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Can an animal make a rocket, can it add 1 plus one 1, does it know what the sun is, we have a higher conscience. And the only one whose ignorant is you,ie, your spelling is appalling, are you english speaking?
Your point is useless, you can't make a rocket youself, nor can Joe Average, only a select few can actually make a rocket, which does not represent mankind. Most animals are indeed able to do simple math, only showing your poor preception of your own anology.

And attacking my poor spelling only shows what extremely poor ability you have to stay focued on the topic at hand, usually poor debaters resorts to such puerile attacks when they don't have anything clever to say. Pityful.
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:16 am
@HexHammer,
If you're going to miss my point by splitting hairs then you are the who one is ignorant and attacking my post is pitiful. I'm not attacking your spelling you dofus, it is appalling! Go away you sad little man.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
<sigh>
Caroline

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:50 pm
@littlek,
Sorry but he just attacks.
littlek

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 12:54 pm
@Caroline,
I know. Just ignore him.