What Makes Humans Human?

Fido

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:48 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Littlek!

If living things fail to adapt to their circumstances, they become extinct very quickly.

There are many theories as to why apes left the trees. Mine being overpopulation (an inherited trait?). Having no place to dwell, it was a case of 'adapt or die' - Those that did adapt and evolve accordingly faced many new challenges, and the process cycled on and on until we sit here today.

All life has to adapt, move on or die, and in each instance it becomes something other than what it once was. This is the nature of evolution.

The fact is; humans are simply a collective of atomic particles behaving in a way that is suitable.
Whether this is random or planned is open to interpretation.

So the answer to your threaded question is - Molecular variations acted upon by fate or circumstance in relation to linear evolutionary processes governed by the physical laws of the universe and that which is formed due to said processes is what makes humans human.

Have a lovely day!
mark...

They probably got too fat on the one hand eating each other for the branches to hold them, and for the rest it was too dangerous being around a lot of stone killers... I can't say which group we slid out of, but we resemble both: Those with the urge to kill and those with the sense to run away...
The moment we became human we ceased to evolve and began to adapt, and that is the purpose of our forms, because all human progress involves a change of forms... As we think, so we build...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:55 pm
On of our longer monologues
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 12:04 am
@Fido,
Quote:
Nonsense... One must conceive of a thing to speak of it...
Actually Im quoting what several noted paleoanthropologists say> ITS NOT THAT SPEECH WAS THE ISSUE. It was that the maxillary structure was morphing so that speech was possible. Communication and speech became the consequence of the changing throat and mouth structure.
You can come down from a tree , but if you cant tell anybody anything, youre still a monkey.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 12:06 am
@Fido,
Quote:
We were always monkey eaters,

BS. We evolved the practice , till then Australopithecenes were mostly all vegetarians.
Fido

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Nonsense... One must conceive of a thing to speak of it...
Actually Im quoting what several noted paleoanthropologists say> ITS NOT THAT SPEECH WAS THE ISSUE. It was that the maxillary structure was morphing so that speech was possible. Communication and speech became the consequence of the changing throat and mouth structure.
You can come down from a tree , but if you cant tell anybody anything, youre still a monkey.

This isn't a question of which came first, Chicken or Egg... Before people needed to say something, they had to have something to say, and since monkeys already have vocalization all that was needed was the symbolic aspect of this sound having that meaning...Look at yourself... Would you need the words you use if you had nothing to say??? I don't know them all, and I have not heard them all... But clearly words alone are not enough to express human thought, or we would not have numbers, and in any even each is a form of communication...

So, as I said: concepts, forms, and ideas... One must make the mental connection before it is expressed, and a form expressed is still a form.. Forms are meanings, and when we communicate we communicate meaning, and it is safe to say that both grew up together, the sense of meaning, and the forms necessary to express that meaning... And words are culture because while people die, the concepts they named are preserved in their language, so when one speaks another may understand without direct experience of the issue under discussion...

We must have already had complex brains capable of making connections and recognizing patterns before the accumulation a larger vocabulary... You can see that words without thought can only express banality, so what contribution to survival would words have had if they were not themselves forms holding bits of meaning??? It was the need for a larger vocal range that brought about the evolution and not the evolution that gave us language...

And; We are still primates... The fact that most of us have nothing to say is not hindered by the fact that we have thousands of words with which to say it.
There is a girl who works in a store near by who needs a mute button... She carries on all day and must drive her co-workers absolutly nuts... Whether she thinks she is charming or engaging or entertaining, or whether she thinks at all is an open question...She has some mental condition in which little gets in and everything in comes out over and over again... For God's sake girl: Shut up... But she can't, with nothing to say and an endless stream of strangers to say it to.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:48 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
We were always monkey eaters,

BS. We evolved the practice , till then Australopithecenes were mostly all vegetarians.

We have the teeth and the eyes of a preditor, and even a dog can survive on vegitables; but it is not the optimum diet for brain growth... Can you show me a monkey that will not eat other monkeys, even its own kind if the opportunity arises??? It was not a change of human nature that removed humanity from cannibalism, but slavery... We found a more efficient means to eat up the lives of others: We exploit them to the point that they cannot breed, and give them only enough to eat... It is happening today... Removing from cannibalism had more to do with economics than morality...
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:48 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
We have the teeth and the eyes of a preditor.

Actually, our binocular vision is probably more indicative of arboreal activity than predation. The same goes for our color vision which is used by monkeys to identify ripe vegetation. And our teeth are more indicative of generalized foraging then predation.
Fido

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:54 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Fido wrote:
We have the teeth and the eyes of a preditor.

Actually, our binocular vision is probably more indicative of arboreal activity than predation. The same goes for our color vision which is used by monkeys to identify ripe vegetation. And our teeth are more indicative of generalized foraging then predation.

And what does the canines of a cat and its binocular vision actually indicate??? As we have moved away from opportunistic foragers we have evolved into even better killers, and not less so... Would that be possible of cattle, or rabbits since they have not the raw material to begin with??? It is the mentality which has made us what we have become because as soon as we could conceive of a reality outside of the immediate, and communicate our conserved concept we began to adapt rather than evolve...

I have hunted, and I have beat the beast at his own game, and it was not on the basis of superior animal abilities... I could not run as fast, nor smell so well, or see with such perception, or be so vigilent against danger... I could extend my reach nearly to the limit of my sight, and I could track, and I could plan because I could conceive of the animal and his behavior... The deer had his moment, but I had past and future... I could learn him as he could not learn me...And it had no way to transmit knowledge in the smallest sense that I received culturally, almost as a rite of passage... And something more... In the quasi conception of life is found the desire for death, and to paraphrase Hemingway, the fact that we die, and know we will die does not make us more merciful in regard to nature, to other animals, and to ourselves; but less so...
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:47 am
@Fido,
Hi Fido!

I agree with almost everything you have written here, with one exception. I do believe that animals have a sense of past and future.

Why does a bird fly south? Why does a bear hibernate? Why do animals give birth in early spring? Why does a predator wait at an ambush site? Why does a bird build a nest? Why do creatures migrate?
Why do animals run from fire? Why do my dogs remember their old haunts? Why does an animal avoid certain places?

I won't go on, but I see this issue in a different way.

Kind regards!
Mark...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:50 am
@mark noble,
Elephants cry when one in their brood dies.
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
Hi!

As for the dog eating its own excrement. This is not unnatural. Some faeces has further nutrition to offer. Some animals do it to remove their scent from an area. Some to clean up a living area.
My youngest dog did it for a while, when young, because he was the litter runt, and his brothers always beat him to the food. The people we adopted him from told us that his mother did it to.

The dog's in question in these previous posts are not showing guilt, they are anxious as to how their owner will react. Whether you beat them is irrelevant - You always reacted negatively and this is what they are responding to. had you praised and patted them at these moments, they would do it more often with wagging tails.

I stopped mine from doing it by not reacting at all. I sprinkled a few drops of hot chilli sauce on it, whenever he went. It stopped shortly afterwards.

Kind regards!
mark...
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hi CI!

And they return to seemingly long forgotten places when they sense death on the horizon.

Mark...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:04 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Have you ever had a dog? Have you ever caught it eating poop? I have, and the expression of guilt in their faces is so obvious and intense that seeing it makes me feel sad for them every time. [...]

You are clearly projecting... Maybe you have tried the crap sampler plater at Chez Butthole???

I will grant you that what I say about dog behavior involves interpretation. Then again, so do the things you say about my behavior, i.e., my post. I don't think there's any more projection on my part when I talk about dogs than there is on your part when you talk about me.

But never mind what I think. We are talking about natural phenomena here, so let's talk about testable, scientific predictions. Sometime not too far in the future, we will be able to run brain scans on dogs who had just done something they shouldn't have, and who are making the "guilty face". (Every dog owner knows just what face I mean.) I predict that the scans will show activity in the same areas of dog brains as the areas active in human brains whose owners feel guilt. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this type of experiment had already been run---in which case I would be grateful for links to its result.
mark noble

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:10 am
@mark noble,
I sprinkled the sauce on the faeces, not my dog.

For the benefit of the quick witted.

Not the sprinkling - This additional post.

Mark...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:15 am
@Fido,
Quote:
We have the teeth and the eyes of a preditor,
When australopithecenes broke from the older pongid lines, the family was certainly omnivorous, with carnivorous preferences, hence the teeth and binocular vision ("eyes in front, born to hunt, eyes on the side, runs and hide")

However, Australopithecenes and the earlier "Post common ancestors" were vegetarians (Like gorillas or the great apes who also have carnivore dentition but are "learned vegetarians").

You cannot make "Rules" based upon dentition since evolution deems that we are ALL intermediate species of something. There is no "plateau " of evolution, everything is "becoming something else"
rich8ames

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:52 am
this is easy. we love. show feelings and affection. what else really does, and if you say an animal, how do you really know. you can't talk to them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 11:53 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
There is no "plateau " of evolution, everything is "becoming something else"

Some people never understand this process.
0 Replies

dadman

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:01 pm
@littlek,
God made us human ..
we are created in his image ..
God gave us a human spirit ..
true - animals have a soul, but not a spirit
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@dadman,
dadman, The only problem with your statement is god is a creation of man. Nobody has ever seen god - unless you're talking about some religious leader who claims to be "in the image of god."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm
@rich8ames,
Quote:
this is easy. we love. show feelings and affection. what else really does, and if you say an animal, how do you really know. you can't talk to them.

Other animals can't speak, but that is no proof of either side of an argument. They can neither tell you that they do love nor can they tell you that they don't love.

I'm interested in Thomas idea of brain scans. People here are bestowing upon other animals a lot of traits (or lack there of) that are hard to prove given that the later don't communicate well with us.