Top Preforming CEO fired for lying on his Expense Report

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't give a hoot what the investors think or believe; they have never run a company the size of HP. Majority belief about most things contrary to ethics is wrong. You can tell them, I said so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
If they are OFTEN ignored, please provide proof of the culprits and which company they belong to?

Was it Enron or Worldcom?

I worked in management for several companies, and we lived by the Personnel Handbook/Manuel's codes. Depending on the infraction, we either gave them warning or they were terminated. There is always a process for disciplinary action.

I've never seen a Personnel Manual that allowed the CEO a second chance for turning in fraudulent expense reports. Please show me one, because that'll be news to me!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 09:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here is the evidence against your your assertion, it is a counter and opposite assertion from a more reputable source.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/01/the-valley%e2%80%99s-mess-why-codes-of-conduct-dont-work/?source=yahoo_quote
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 01:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Nowhere in that article did I see the words "Personnel Manual."

Have you ever worked for a company with a Personnel Manual where an employee broke the rules and did not pay the consequences? Show me, because you still haven't answered my question.

What the so-called bosses do between companies is an entirely different matter from unethical behavior as an employee of a company. If the board doesn't act on information of the bosses improprieties, that's their problem. That only means they are unethical too. It doesn't justify their wrong-doing.

I'm not so naive to believe hanky panky doesn't happen at big companies; we've learned from many large companies that have lied to their employees while they gained for their own stock sales, and those that have gone bankrupt. The employees paid a high price for those; they lost jobs, and their retirement savings.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:01 pm
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — In naming Mark V. Hurd, the former chief executive of Hewlett-Packard, as Oracle’s new co-president, Lawrence J. Ellison, Oracle’s chief executive and largest shareholder, has put his money where his controversial mouth is.

Late on Monday, Oracle announced that Mr. Hurd had joined the company as a president and a director. Mr. Hurd resigned from H.P. one month ago, after an investigation by the board into a personal relationship with a contractor turned up questionable expense reports.

Mr. Ellison, a personal friend of Mr. Hurd’s, criticized H.P.’s board last month in an e-mail message to The New York Times, saying it was “the worst personnel decision since the idiots on the Apple board fired Steve Jobs many years ago.”

Now, Oracle intends to capitalize on H.P.’s mistake, Mr. Ellison said
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/technology/07oracle.html?_r=1&hp

HA!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Two peas in a pod. Doesn't show me anything positive, except there are unethical CEOs willing to hire other unethical ex-CEOs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:14 pm
Quote:
RTTNews) - Business software maker Oracle Corp. (ORCL: News ) announced Monday that the ousted CEO of technology giant Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ: News ) Mark Hurd has joined it as president and as a director. Hurd serves as co-president alongside Safra Catz and succeeded Charles Phillips, who resigned from the positions.

In his role, Hurd will report to Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, who has been his long time friend and had lashed out at HP's board for forcing Hurd to resign from his positions over sexual harassment allegations.

Ellison and Hurd have been close personal friends. With both being avid tennis players, they often plays tennis at Ellison's house in Silicon Valley.

Business-wise, Redwood City, California-based Oracle has been a close partner of HP and bundles enterprise software along with the large computing systems that HP sells to corporations. However, they became rivals after Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems earlier this year.

"Mark did a brilliant job at HP and I expect he'll do even better at Oracle. There is no executive in the IT world with more relevant experience than Mark. Oracle's future is engineering complete and integrated hardware and software systems for the enterprise. Mark pioneered the integration of hardware with software when Teradata was a part of NCR," Ellison said in a statement
http://www.rttnews.com/Content/TopStories.aspx?Id=1410641

I am thinking that Larry must have felt very strongly that Hurd is good for business. He basically fired a long term employee to make room for Hurd.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Isn't that what friends are for? The other guy must've been to honest for his own good.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The opening bell for Oracle will tell all....
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, it doesn't. What it will say, though, is that people's greed has no ethics.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It is hard to fault Oracle’s timing of its appointment of Mark Hurd to replace the outgoing Charles Phillips. A long holiday weekend that US analysts take seriously so few were paying attention other than the hard core Twitterers.

The markets will likely welcome the news as representing a strengthening of the board to deliver more profit to shareholders. Look for an up tick in the stock price. The Wall Street Journal notes early thoughts by one analyst:

“I think Hurd is a perfect fit for Oracle,” said Brent Thill, an analyst with UBS Securities. “This is a guy who can help take the company to the next level.”

Even so, many questions remain. The same Wall Street Journal article raises questions about the conditions of Hurd’s departure from H-P and the fact his $35 million payout will be impacted by confidentiality conditions. This is a tricky one. H-P could sue on the assumption that as he is now working for a competitor his ability to maintain confidentiality goes out the window. Experts believe the non-compete will be hard to make stand up but that still leaves the question - what about the money? I guess we’ll have to wait see if H-P sues. I’m betting that Larry Ellison has provided Hurd with assurance that whatever his potential loss, Oracle will cover with stock options and the promise of even greater riches at Oracle
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/howlett/questions-for-oracle/2432

The HPQ board has a big decision to make...should they sue Hurd and attempt to get the money back. Considering how pissed their stockholders are that they paid the money my guess is yes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your imagination grows with the strength of okie's; ideas that nobody else has even contemplated, but you can't hold back your imagination from these boards that doesn't make any sense to anybody else.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 08:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Your imagination grows with the strength of okie's; ideas that nobody else has even contemplated

That is hilarious, considering that I make it a practice to document someone in authority who is saying what I am saying. In the case of the possibility of an HPQ board clawback of Hurds severance the person is
Quote:

Dennis Howlett
Dennis Howlett has been providing comment and analysis on enterprise software since 1991 in a variety of European trade and professional journals including CFO Magazine, The Economist and Information Week. Today, apart from being a full time blogger on innovation for professional services organisations, he is a founding member of Enterprise Irregulars and an investor in a European start-up. Prior to, Dennis was technology and tax partner in a British firm of Chartered Accountants for 10 years. Prior to that held various senior finance roles across a broad range of industries.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/howlett/microsoft-does-the-atlassian-pogo-dance/205
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 11:41 pm
Quote:
HP’s nightmare gets worse — Mark Hurd joins Oracle as co-president
September 6, 2010 | Dean Takahashi

Oracle named former Hewlett-Packard chief executive Mark Hurd as its new co-president today. That puts Hurd in a position to do some serious damage to HP, which is now his competitor.
http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/06/hps-nightmare-gets-worse-as-mark-hurd-joins-oracle-as-co-president/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Venturebeat+%28VentureBeat%29

Quote:
Dean Takahashi
Dean is lead writer for GamesBeat at VentureBeat. He covers video games, security, chips and a variety of other subjects. Dean previously worked at the San Jose Mercury News, the Wall Street Journal, the Red Herring, the Los Angeles Times, the Orange County Register and the Dallas Times Herald. He is the author of two books, Opening the Xbox and the Xbox 360 Uncloaked. Follow him on Twitter at @deantak, and follow VentureBeat on Twitter at @venturebeat.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:40 pm
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Oracle Corp. /quotes/comstock/15*!orcl/quotes/nls/orcl (ORCL 24.35, +0.09, +0.35%) Chief Executive Officer Larry Ellison sharply criticized Hewlett-Packard Co. /quotes/comstock/13*!hpq/quotes/nls/hpq (HPQ 39.80, -0.12, -0.30%) for its lawsuit against former H-P chief Mark Hurd, describing the move as "vindictive" and against the interests of H-P shareholders. "Oracle has long viewed H-P as an important partner," Ellison said in a statement. "By filing this vindictive lawsuit against Oracle and Mark Hurd, the H-P board is acting with utter disregard for that partnership, our joint customers, and their own shareholders and employees." Hurd was forced to resign from H-P last month following a sexual-harassment accusation. Oracle named Hurd to serve as its co-president Monday, prompting a suit from H-P, which said Hurd would be violating a non-disclosure agreement by working for Oracle. Ellison said the suit would poison the waters between the two firms. "The H-P board is making it virtually impossible for Oracle and H-P to continue to cooperate and work together in the IT marketplace," he said.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oracles-ceo-ellison-slams-h-p-suit-against-hurd-2010-09-07?siteid=yhoof2

However, Oracle was up about 6% today, a strong vote of confidence in Ellison and Hurd. HPQ was down 1%.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
So, hawk, what do you think about the non-disclosure agreement? Mean anything to you?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
So, hawk, what do you think about the non-disclosure agreement? Mean anything to you?
I have not heard anyone who thinks HPQ can make it stick, the consensus is that they can not but that they might be able to get the money back. The assumption is that Ellison has promised to back fill what ever Hurd has to give up to HP.

I was more impressed that Ellison blasted the HPQ board for damaging the relationship between HP and Oracle, this after Ellison has previously blasted the HP Board and after hiring Hurd which is clearly meant to be a finger in the eye towards the HP Board. A lot of the pot calling the kettle black here.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
HP sues Mark Hurd over trade secrets

A day after taking becoming Oracle's co-president, Mark Hurd is facing a lawsuit from Hewlett-Packard, his former employer
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
In other words in your world, it's okay for an ex-CEO to break his contract promises, because it means more money for the investors of Oracle?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 06:33 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
HP sues Mark Hurd over trade secrets
hopefully you took note that this is the same suit that when I talked about the possibility of it not 24 hours ago CI claimed that I was fantasizing.