How do I stop smoking when partner won't quit?

djjd62

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:34 am
@Caroline,
i'd still get it checked out, did the pain start before the thought of getting lung cancer or after

if at the same time or after it could be panic, panic attacks can seem like heart attacks, either way, go to the doctor
sozobe

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:34 am
@Caroline,
But all the worrying can't be good for your health either! Not to mention that if something IS wrong it's far better dealt with sooner rather than later.
Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:36 am
@sozobe,
I know the pains are due to smoking so I guess I figured all I have to do is stop. I'm just too scared that the dr will say it's bad news, maybe I will be brave. Thanks.
0 Replies

Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:40 am
@djjd62,
No the pain came out of the blue and it was really painful. I had no thoughts of lung cancer before, I feel the pain and wish I could say it could be bad heart burn but I cant fool myself, when I smoke I can feel the pain edging it's way back.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:34 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Forget about "willpower" or "staying strong". Willpower is a myth.

It's about motivation. It's about whether you want to quit more than you want to smoke.

Willpower is a myth? What is the difference between willpower and motivation?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:35 am
@sozobe,
Good point. I, mistakenly, assumed that she had seen a doctor.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:49 am
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

I've been worrying for weeks that I'll die of lung cancer unless I quit because I have felt bad pain in my chest. I'm fine on my own all day, it's just I know my boyfriend will be back home soon and then I can ask him for a cigarette. I give in but I have to be stronger. Btw he smokes outside when I ask him to. Is it down to will power alone or does anybody have any tips please? Thanks.

Replace smoking with drink tea ?
Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 11:54 am
@mister kitten,
Hi MK! How are you, good to see you, yes that's a darn good idea, I will try it thanks.
mark noble

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:28 pm
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline!

One cannot simply 'give-up'. It is a matter of transferring one obsession to another.
Addiction is mental, not physical.

I've had chest pains for over 4 decades and I don't care - Haven't seen a doctor since 1982 (great year that, by the way - New romantics, slush puppies, 16kg mobile phones...ahhh.)

Anyway, once the lungs are knackered, they're knackered, so don't worry about it.
I would rather have my testicles removed by a hungry hyena than go without a smoke. It is THE most brilliant thing, after all!

Kind regards!
Mark...
Intrepid

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:35 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Caroline!

One cannot simply 'give-up'. It is a matter of transferring one obsession to another.
Addiction is mental, not physical.

Yes, they can
Quitting is mental as well

Quote:
I've had chest pains for over 4 decades and I don't care - Haven't seen a doctor since 1982 (great year that, by the way - New romantics, slush puppies, 16kg mobile phones...ahhh.)

That is just foolish.

Quote:
Anyway, once the lungs are knackered, they're knackered, so don't worry about it.

That is not true.

Quote:
I would rather have my testicles removed by a hungry hyena than go without a smoke. It is THE most brilliant thing, after all

Kind regards!
Mark...

Is that a personal thing, or do all philosphy folks who smoke think that way?
Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:35 pm
@mark noble,
Hi Mark, I just want to live to old age and I know I'm in serious danger so it can be frightening. I'm just weak at the moment. You enjoy your smokes, that's your choice but I'm getting ill because of it.
Splendid afternoon to ya.
mark noble

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:41 pm
@Intrepid,
Thought I'd spark you!

Why do you 'Allies in ignorance' constantly keep referring to us as 'philifolk'?
We are people, not some freakish sideshow.
The division moronic comments like those create are becoming a bit boorish now.
So remove your reverant head from your respective anus and grow up.

Have a nice day!
Mark...
ossobuco

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:41 pm
I quit cold turkey twice, and it stuck the second time, nearly 30 years ago. I'd been a heavy smoker for many years.

Two things helped me. Back then, cigs were available at all sorts of checkout counters, and I adopted an "other people do that" point of view, which carried over to other situations with others smoking around me. The second thing - for the first week or two, I tended to go around at work (a bunch of us smoked heavily there, including the boss) with a toothpick between my teeth. Not all the time, but a few times a day. I think that helped.

I got used to not smoking fairly quickly, but I still figure if I smoked one cig now, I'd be right back at it. I've also gotten more appreciative of good old breathing, not to sound righteous, just that I like clear lungs, having dealt with some allergy/asthma over the years.

There are a few other threads here on a2k about quitting smoking..

Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you. I remembered that when I managed to get down to one cig a day I thought smokers were mugs as it costs money and your health. Life is far better without them but for some stupid reason I think I cant live without my crux.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:47 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Thought I'd spark you!

Why do you 'Allies in ignorance' constantly keep referring to us as 'philifolk'?

Have a nice day!
Mark...

Spark me? Is that like baiting?

I take it you didn't like my honest post and therefore, decided not to answer my honest post. Rather you found it relevent that I said philosophy folk. Note that philifolk is your speak...not what I said.

Do you disagree that it is a mental state that can help one quit smoking? Do you disagree that the lungs, in fact, can rejuvenate? Do you disagree that it is foolish that you have not seen a doctor in 28 years?

Do you, in your wisdom, consider it non boorish to refer to non "philifolk", as you put it, as "Allies in ignorance"

Thank you for your mature outlook.
mark noble

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:50 pm
@Caroline,
Hi Caroline!

The best way to alter a habit is to form an alternative one. My point with the 'mental' aspect is: The body doesn't require nicotine, hence the craving is mental and not physical.

If you have pains in your chest (central to left) or in the left arm, see a GP. Remember: blood pressure is elevated due to inhalation of nicotine, it is also a stimulant - The combination can be fatal.

If you don't STOP, you will leave your family sooner than you wish, it will be extremely painful and you will DIE HORRIBLY.

This is your ONLY WARNING ::: STOP OR DIE!!!

Kind regards!
Mark...
Caroline

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 01:01 pm
@mark noble,
Urrrrgh!
0 Replies

mark noble

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 01:12 pm
@Intrepid,
Hi!

Of course you were being baited.

The perpetual creating of division is the point, not the terminology. That is just obtuse, and you're intelligent enough to understand that.

My point was: Addiction is 'mental' and not 'physical'
Of course the opposing action is also 'mental', but that was not my point.

I Know that the lungs can rejuvenate, but if you have smoked for thirty years, it will likely take as long for that process to kick in, and never will your lungs be as healthy as they were originally, thereafter.

No! I do not agree. Why do you think I need to see a doctor?

My 'allies in ignorance' is a direct reproach to your stereotyping statement.
I encounter it on nearly every post and thread I attend.

'Do you in your wisdom?' ??

This is a patronising comment made by one who has a tendency to arrogance.

'Thank you for your mature outlook' ??

So is this.

Kind regards!
Mark...
0 Replies

mister kitten

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:36 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Thought I'd spark you!

Have a nice day!
Mark...

LOL, mark you are great. Do you have a beard?
ossobuco

Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:44 pm
Nag me, if I ever relent and post anything re mark noble.
0 Replies