Thanks, Robert. Looks great so far!

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:27 pm
Though this isn't a philosophical matter, have you guys seen what Robert has been working on?

http://groups.able2know.org/philforum/

It really does look like the old forum, and I for one can't wait until its completed.

Just wanted to say thanks to Robert for his efforts in making us philforum folk feel more comfortable.

-Zeth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 9,036 • Replies: 114

Jebediah

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:50 pm
Awesome!
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 10:44 pm
Wow, that is way cool.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:37 am
i'm glad you guys got your forum back and i can see why you wanted it, it's some kind of time machine i'm guessing, you log in and it takes you back to the internet circa 1999, cool Razz

okay i'm a smart ass, but i'm sincere in the congrats
Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:57 am
@djjd62,
There's no place like home, there's no place like home.

(Robert's a good egg)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 08:44 am
How does the new PhilForum integrate with A2K?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 09:13 am
@joefromchicago,
I don't think it does, joe!

I like the phil set up better than ours here at a2k. I wish we could incorporate
that here too.
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 09:27 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
How does the new PhilForum integrate with A2K?

Robert's still workin' on it. The link is not ready for prime time.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
Robert deserves a lot of credit not only for trying to fulfill the needs of the Philosophy Forum folk, but for the hard and difficult work involved in building the group software in such a relatively short time while doing many other things.
I suspect that we will soon have an "official" announcement about it and this will answer many questions.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:02 am
@djjd62,
Funny thing is, that is almost exactly what I did. I fired up archive.org's wayback machine to get the design.

In any case this seems like as good a place as any for something I've been meaning to mention:

The old philforum topics were moved to the new group, other topics from the old database that were never imported to a2k still need to be imported.

Anyway, that's just a quick update because some of the topics moved were active so if anyone is wondering where they are that is the deal. We should be ready for it to be used in a few days but keep in mind that this is new forum software built from scratch by 2 people in a couple of weeks part time. Basically, expect a lot of things to need to be polished up and a lot of features that need to be added. We'll be iterating it a lot to improve things but it's initially not anywhere near perfect.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
I dunno, CJ. Maybe I just don't like change, but I would need some time to feel at home. It was good to see a different interface, though.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:59 pm
@roger,
most of the original boards i frequented looked like that, one still does, but they also have a new posts page that resembles A2K that most folks seem use
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:09 pm
They forgot Natural Philosophy which grew exponentially to encompass all of modern living.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:45 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I like the phil set up better than ours here at a2k. I wish we could incorporate
that here too.

nooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't want to go back to the dark ages.

nooooooooooooooooooooo
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Me either...

though I would play around doing a little color changing on my own (given the alternatives) on the present a2k schema. I might do that and still come back to the present colors, which I'm basically ok with.

I won't crit the philforum group board style or navigation, though - I didn't study it that long, and that's what the philforum folks like a lot, it seems.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:55 pm
@ehBeth,
The old site was a well-polished, modern-looking site.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:56 pm
@Zetherin,
I understand that the puffers like it.

dezzym

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:11 pm
@wayne,
HEY I AM NEW HERE
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Another attempt to insult. Why?

By the way, for those who aren't familiar with "puffer":
"A faggot, homo, queer. One who smokes on cocks or takes it in the arse."
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:08 pm
@Zetherin,
not sure what ehbeth meant by puffer, but' it's not what you're saying, i know ehbeth and she wouldn't use that kind of slur, it's also not something used in canada (where we're both from) so her usage is unfortunate from your understanding of the term but not intentional