Thanks, Robert. Looks great so far!

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
@djjd62,
I do use tags or guessed tags to find posts, but I equally use the google custom search window thingy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Well, despite what everyone says about spendius, his command of the
English language is impeccable and he does use terms that are not too common.

Spendius is ok in my books.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

atavistic? give me a break. Remember, spendius' language is english.

A throwback, one might say. Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:16 pm
@Intrepid,
That's it..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Yes. Looks really ... um ... great...:

http://i37.tinypic.com/4i0ao4.jpg
Screen capture of the forum as of Saturday, August 2nd, 2010.

I see lots of cultural and aesthetic progress. Is this influenced by the baroque artistic movement from Europe? Rolling Eyes
Zetherin

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wish I would have screen captured, because it definitely didn't look like that when I viewed it. And judging by the responses, I don't think it looked like that when most of these people viewed it.

But this is to be expected since it was a test site that was linked. It's not done yet, as was mentioned earlier.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 03:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Similar to vestigial..

Not really osso. I meant that laying a curse on me that a bird of paradise pecks my eyebrows out could have been fitted into Macbeth.

Quote:
Round about the cauldron go;
In the poison’d entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Swelter’d venom sleeping got,
Brows of spendi i' the pot.

Plucked by birds with pointed beaks
To charm the spell with double squeaks etc etc.

That sort of thing. I think the coccyx is a vestigal tail. You couldn't say it was atavistic. The former is biology, the latter is cultural.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:00 pm
Great the best of both worlds, fantastic. Cheers Robert and staff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@Intrepid,
Spendi hs always engaged in circular logic and contrarian positions on subjects that require more rigorous analysis than he had been capable of. SO he retreats into meaningless attempts at Victorian prose with smidges of Dylan speak.

Ive got him on ignore cause he adds nothing to discussions other than some weird narcissistic verbal self abuse.

Besides, hes the best constructor of run-on sentences and disconnected phrases that we have here on A2K. Ive got no time for his verbal masturbation when there are many serious correspondents in the "fambly"

Besides, misological misoginy, dressed up with SHakespearian -phrases, gags me.

Intrepid

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 02:50 am
@farmerman,
You are opposed to free speech?

How will you ever know if Spendius no longer meets your expectations if you do not read what he has to say?

I prefer to be open to all dialogue, even if I don't agree with it.

Having said that, I must confess that I do have JTT on ignore. I do check in once in a while and my expectations are met every time. I therefore, keep JTT on ignore.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:07 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Spendi hs always engaged in circular logic and contrarian positions on subjects that require more rigorous analysis than he had been capable of. SO he retreats into meaningless attempts at Victorian prose with smidges of Dylan speak.

fm is a sub-deacon in the all too common communion of the invidious distinction. (ID). People are designated under categories derived from school playgrounds for the sole purpose of crudely suggesting that his qualities are of an opposite nature. That I employ circular logic, for example, is supposed to communicate the notion that he doesn't. Anybody reading his posts with the slightest degree of care will quickly perceive a circularity in his thinking which could reasonably be compared to a whirling dervish spinning on his dick. That I require a more "rigorous analysis" is almost a blurted assertion that rigorous analysis is his special area of excellence.

The sentence, in quote here, is entirely circular although it contains no logic.

Anyone who has the temerity to disagree with him becomes transformed, as if magically, into a contrarian notwithstanding that the dialectic and sophisticated conversation, indeed the scientific method itself, is only possible with contrarian modes of thinking. If one's reading experience has influenced one's style, and it is difficult to imagine any style deriving from any other source, it is assumed to be a weakness except in the special case of his own style, so that "Victorian prose with smidges of Dylan speak" becomes something of a mental illness.

But what is so appalling is the obvious fact that he makes the blithe assumption that his audience is stupid enough to be influenced by his "worthless foam from the mouth" and that the evidence for the validity of the narrow range of his assertions is sufficiently supplied by him having so asserted them.

He has me on Ignore, periodically, simply because it is a convenient method of him avoiding replying to the points I make. His misogyny is so ingrained that he is unaware of it. Anyone who speaks of our delightful companions in this life in a manner which respects their integrity whilst engaging in friendly banter, which intelligent women enjoy, at least escapes the charge of treating them as pet budgies chirping in a cage. Even a gilded one. It is surely up to ladies to be the sole judges of what is and what isn't misogyny and any chap who throws out the accusation has thereby demonstrated the depth of his misogyny. He has assumed that women are too weak and stupid to defend themselves which they are not. He patronises them in other words. It's the one thing feminists hate the most.

And he doesn't even know what he is talking about because if it might be said that Ovid invented Love it was Shakespeare who gave it wings just as he also did the English Language.

And fm never remembers Newton's dictum that "to every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction". He obviously fondly believes that he can do and say anything he wishes and it is the last word on the matter and the deployment of Ignore, the Mom's apron, facilitates his self belief because it avoids the reaction. If he likes you you have my heartfelt sympathy.
Caroline

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:12 am
@spendius,
I found in my thread that you made statements like "empty platitudes" without explaining why you said that, how else am I supposed to understand/learn, I find it annoying that you don't explain your disagreements but I still like you even though you said I wasn't unpopular enough.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:30 am
@Caroline,
I think Caroline that saying that we should get greener cars is a platitude. It is too easy to say and too difficult to do.

I think you should apply your lovely prose in the service of attacking individual conspicuous consumption which is a psychological category of almost infinite dimensions. You might be well advised to Bookmark Veblen's The Theory of the Leisure Class. It is available online. That would help give your sweet literary confections the bite I feel they lack. Not that I consider that a fault in a lady as young as you are.

I once loaned a paperback of it to a secondary school teacher and her husband returned it to me torn to shreds. It seems she performed this miracle of strength over a considerable period of time after reading no more than six pages.

Caroline

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 05:36 am
@spendius,
If you'd bothered to check my link it'll tell you that electric cars will be widely available by 2012, not difficult, easy. And I'll attack whom I see fit, I don't know why you're so down on greener ideas?
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:14 am
@Caroline,
But the electricity has to be produced.

I am down on the Greens because they don't address the real point of the consumption patterns. They simply make people feel better about their un-Green activities and thus encourage them. We see that with "Green patrol". How can petrol be "green"? It's just Carry on Consuming and feel good about yourself.

Veblen addressed the point goodstyle and paid a high price for doing so.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:23 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You are opposed to free speech? 2 Cents
Quote:

Nice try. I believe in practicality and focus. I am interested in but a few things here and I engage in fora that meet these requirements. Ive given spendi 5 years to come up with something and so far he hasnt. I think the rules of statistics bear out so why do I need to monitor him further? Am I expecting that he shall suddenly no longer treat people (especially women) with rudeness and disdain?.

I think Ive got more experience at dealing with his silly proclivities than you. How I choose to utilize that experince, (ie ignore or engage) is certainly my "Freedoms choice".

Im not , in any way, muzzling the old boy. I merely like to stay on subject, as prosaic as that may be.. Ive spent the first 4 years of his presence here, trying to ferret out some point of relevance in his "Much speaking". Ive never found more than two or three actual relevant discussions out of thousands of posts.

I was actually chided by others to ignore him because many other people had spent their patience with him. I was reminded by one memebr that spendi is "All paint and no engine". He will try extremely hard to insult any previous poster or denigrate that posters contribution as "dull witted".
Thats been spendis entire act. I realizethat he spends time trying to craft language that sounds impressive, but thats merely a cover to the fact that his contribution will most likely be < totally circular, and surely irrelevant,

NOPE, I have never suggested that spendi be banned, there are several people who are impressed by his circular , often run-on posts full of UK slang. I am not. As I stated up ront, I am interested in but a few things, and of these Im either prfessionally involved or amateurishly passionate.

SO, dont lecture me of my choices. Free speech is th freedom to choose whether to listen as well as the freedom to spout off.

Quote:
I prefer to be open to all dialogue, even if I don't agree with it.

Admirable trait.My Threshhold for tolerance of those who are merely game playing is obviously much lower than yours. The A2k admins have come up with the ignore feature probably with individuals like Spendi or Ramafuchs in mind (IMHO). As I said, I spent 4 years engaging spendi and decided to toss in the towel. I do see some fo his contributions when other people quote his posts in rebuttal. Other than that, I dont peek at his ignored posts any more. I will tell you that , even though Wandels thread about "Evolution? educational challenges..." is old and creaky, it moves along so much better without several correspondents taking time off the subject to respond to spendis posts and his insults at the "previous callers".

Quote:
I must admit that I have JTT on ignore
. At least JTT stays on point. His tendencies at argument are correctly focused and dont wander around the hull bottom . So, I guess you know what Id have to say next about kettles and "deposita nigra?"
Caroline

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:31 am
@spendius,
But through out the thread I said consumer patterns need to be addressed or at least mass recycle. What's green petrol? And you were down on my ideas and thoughts not down on the greens, without explaining yourself, it's called constructive criticism which is all I asked for but didn't get, it even turned into a bit of a slanging match with some bizarre posts from you that didn't make much sense to me I'm afraid. And we can create electricity by riding a bike that is rigged up, I'm sure we can think of something.
spendius

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I believe in practicality and focus.

As long as fm defines what those terms mean.

Quote:
I am interested in but a few things here and I engage in fora that meet these requirements.

As long as fm defines what those terms mean.

Quote:
Ive given spendi 5 years to come up with something and so far he hasnt.

A bald and pointless assertion.

All the rest is more of the same, self-congratulatory, tripe. Tossing in the towel is a gesture of defeat. Trying to take credit for it is pitiful.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:45 am
@Caroline,
Quote:
I'm sure we can think of something.

I'm sure we can but I'm also sure that if everyone lived like I do the stock exchanges would tank to single figures. Which would have serious implications. There are no easy answers Caroline.
Caroline

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:56 am
@spendius,
I never said it was easy but possible if we are going to save the environment. And I dont have all if any of the answers but I'm sure we could find a few working as a team. My area is social research not environmental politics but I still believe I had some sound basic ideas that would help alleviate the problem, the rest is up to the experts. Constructive criticism not statements that criticize without explanation, I just got tired of it as these post take the thread nowhere and I got angry at being called blatantly ignorant several times with no explanation to back it up, in the end I just got tired of the less constructive posts and the accusations. It's not hard to figure out the environmental problems, life is not rocket science. It always boils down to money.
0 Replies