interview ar Burger King

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:41 pm
The interview at Burger King really opened my eyes.

The boss at Burger King is a no-nonsense type of woman and much tougher than the one I had at McD's. At the beginning of the interview, she was like, "We have a good crew team bc I got rid of all the misfits." Between shitload of questions, she said a few times of people who she had to can. That got me thinking, these ppl couldn't have been canned for any infraction more serious than mine. Very few people would commit infractions THAT serious.

I could tell if I embarrassed HER in front of customers and made a scene resulting in several customer complaints, she's show me the door. Hell, even if I just burned myself and screamed, she'd fire me for that. That said, the boss at McD's had cut me some slack. At least she didn't fire me as most others would.

btw, a crew came up to her during my interview and she was like, "You need to go home as soon as possible."

"But I get off at 4."

"You got my message. What you do with it is up to you." The mgr said that so flippantly.

I'm not upset with my former boss anymore. I'm only mad at myself for throwing away my second chance. Everything I do has consequences. Mine happened to be light. I shoulda just taken it.

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:04 am
I am picking up that you think this new boss may be flippant and manages people in a hard ass manner.

These are qualtities that ruffle your feathers.

She probably thinks there will be a dozen people waiting to take anyone's job who quits.

Not a good fit for you, I think.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:13 am
DD, as someone who has been on both side of job interviews a lot in my many years, I would suggest you don't take this job. This woman is not a good manager and the two of you would be like gasoline and a match. Keep looking.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:08 am
I don't have any advice. But I really enjoy your threads DD. Your candor about these foibles is both admirable and freaking hilarious.

I know it's not supposed to be funny but that's my problem.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 10:20 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Keep looking.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 01:53 pm
@Gargamel,
That's my feeling, too.
0 Replies

vietnamveteran

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:19 pm
@Green Witch,
well, there are other jobs out there..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:24 pm
@Green Witch,
it could however be an excellent learning experience

dangerous possibly, but if she could pull it together and survive the rigours it might be a big help to her
Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:48 pm
@djjd62,
I can't agree. I am fairly positive DD has Asperger's syndrome, and I think she now even admits it. I have hired people with Asperger's with mixed results. One thing I do know is if they are in the right environment with people who are aware of their problem they can perform very well and be outstanding employees. If people are not sensitive to their needs the Asperger's sufferer ends up hurt, confused and even, in extreme cases, suicidal. You can't just unlearn Asperger's, it's not like learning table manners as an adult if someone didn't show you in childhood. Asperger's people tend to be rather bright, but socially clueless. They are rather hardwired on this and it is not something they can just re-program in themselves. They just don't get it and don't get why we don't get it. They are spontaneous and outspoken, they do not stop to think how their actions will be received. It is not fair to put someone like this in with insensitive people who will provoke the most difficult parts of their personality. This manager sounds like someone who would enjoy pushing DD's buttons and I don't think it would be good thing for anyone.

djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:58 pm
@Green Witch,
i can see where you're coming from
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
@djjd62,
I will take this job if it's offered. She'll be strict enough that I don't test the limits. Meanwhile, I have a 2nd interview at that place next Wednesday.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:01 pm
@Green Witch,
btw, I think what happened to me was really the result of bad behavior. There's not a single workplace that tolerates bad behavior.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:02 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Did you deliberately test people's limits previously?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:06 pm
@Green Witch,
no I wasn't aware of making a huge scene in a crowded store. Embarrassing my boss publicly was by accident.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:11 pm
@Green Witch,
Which is why I think I mentioned earlier that DD should avail herself of help on all that, and not just deny it. Not sure, maybe I just thought it, but I think I said it, and DD tossed it off.

I surmise there is interest and help out there.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I am seeing a professional.
Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:21 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
It's awesome that you are seeing a doctor. Seeing a professional might not be enough to immediately get hired in a service like fast food . It's not like the help will be immediate and the behavior change magical. This could take awhile. DD are you prepared for it take time? Isn't that what the professional person is telling you?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:23 pm
@Ragman,
She's helping me become aware of my actions and behaviors and yes, it will take awhile.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:25 pm
Counseling does exist. I don't know how well it works. Anyone see the movie Mary and Max? Max has Asperger's. In order to try and understand people he draws simple little faces in a book. The faces are labelled based on their expressions with tags like "angry", "confused" and "happy". Max looks at his these images when he is trying to figure out what emotion people are trying to express to him. I thought it summed up Asperger's very well.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
are you seeing a professional re asperger's? I'm not all that clear, also not just arguing with their takes.

It is clear to me that you are bright, DD. I mean you well.
0 Replies