'get in/on" and "get off/down'

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:34 pm
When the bus arrived, the door opened and the passengers got in from the front, while the other passengers got down from the rear of the bus.

1. Are 'got in' and 'got down' correctly used? I was taught that passengers got on or off the bus. The sentence sounds awkward to me.

Could someone please let me know whether the sentence needs rephrasing or is it correct ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 587 • Replies: 4
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:40 pm
It's another one of those questions where either set of answers is correct, I'd say (remember, there's more than one way to say almost anything in probably every language on earth). You get down from a bus because the floor is usually pretty high and you have to come down steps to hit ground. But for some reason I don't think you'd "get up" onto a bus. Get on or off work too.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:42 pm
I might rephrase it as, "When the bus arrived, the door opened and passengers got in at the front, while departing passengers got down from the rear of the bus".

Actually I'd probably use "got on.off" in preference, but your example is okay.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 02:06 pm
. . and all this is not to be confused with "getting it on" and "getting off" - both sexual terms.
0 Replies

basenpat

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:46 am
@tanguatlay,
Ride in/Get out of- small vehicles like cars, taxi, etc.
Ride on/Get off- big vehicles like ship, airplane
*exception= for vehicles that you can't go inside like motorcycles, bikes, etc, use get off
0 Replies