"Fun" as an adjective

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:05 pm
In the last few years the word "fun" has been commonly used as an adjective as in "It was so fun". Formerly. one would have said "It was much fun" or something similar where "fun" is a noun. Is this new usage accepted by professionals? I assume that if it is not, it soon will be, but so far I have been unable to get such phraseology past my lips.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,700 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:08 pm
Quote:
fun (fun)
n.

A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure.
Enjoyment; amusement: have fun at the beach.
Playful, often noisy, activity.
intr.v. Informal., funned, fun·ning, funs.
To behave playfully; joke.

adj. Informal.
Enjoyable; amusing: "You're a real fun guy" (Margaret Truman).

idiom:
for (or in) fun

As a joke; playfully.

[Possibly from fon, to make a fool of, from Middle English fonnen, to fool, possibly from fonne, fool.]

USAGE NOTE The use of fun as an attributive adjective, as in a fun time, a fun place, probably originated in a playful reanalysis of the use of the word in sentences such as It is fun to ski, where fun has the syntactic function of adjectives such as amusing or enjoyable. The usage became popular in the 1950s and 1960s, though there is some evidence to suggest that it has 19th-century antecedents, but it can still raise eyebrows among traditionalists. The day may come when this usage is entirely unremarkable, but writers may want to avoid it in more formal contexts.
[/b]

Well...............That's telling us!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
The examples given such as a fun time, a fun party, or a fun guy are forms that I have often used and give me no problem. The example I gave has "fun" standing alone, used as what in my day was called a predicate adjective.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:18 pm
Well, I don't accept it, and I edit as part of my job. Would that usage appear in any formal writing? I don't think so. Not if the writer (or editor) cares about how he or she sounds!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
I don't know if it is a coincidence or if Yottos is toying with me, but he has a riddle titled "This is a fun riddle---" and uses the expression "It's pretty fun" in the text. Logic would have me guess he is "toying" with me, but he would have to be a very fast typist since his post has the identical sending time as mine.
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:04 pm
I don't think being an editor is any excuse for being a language fascist. Besides, adjectives and nouns go hand in hand. Just look at some of the writings of H. P. Lovecraft or J. R. R. Tolkien, or read anything in Japanese. (Like a gazillion adjectives imported from Chinese through Korean are both adjectives and nouns.)

This is just a thing that happens to languages, they change over time. Why being conservative should make an editor more serious about his job is beyond me.

That being said, it's your own choice, obviously.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:13 pm
I have said for a long time that if I never hear anybody say "funner" again it will be soon enough. Yes, funner. As in, "We had a way funner time today than we did last week."

Yeesh.

p.s. yes, there is a "funnest" too...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 10:17 pm
Flyboy, The use of "fun" in your example is not standard or acceptable usage. In fact, it makes me gag.

Rounin, I've been an editor since 1967. I consider myself a good one and a conservative one. I had no idea that I was a fascist. But, hey, if the shoe fits, . . . I can't speak for all editors, so I'll speak for myself. My focus in my job is to make the ideas and language of the writer as clear and precise as possible. A good editor should leave no trace evidence. By this I mean that a good editor should make changes that seamlessly fit into the author's writing. If a writer is very informal, the editor--this editor--adjusts. However, if I saw "That is so fun" in even the most informal writing, I would change it, unless it were a quote. So there you have it. Another fascist heard from. Yup, I ended that sentence with a preposition. It's become acceptable to do that. See, even fascists keep up with changes in the language.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:52 pm
Maybe editors don't like the usage because it makes their writers sound illiterate. Glad to hear it's wrong, because it sure isn't pleasant.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:14 am
You don't have to be a language fascist, whatever that may be, to reject "fun" as an adjective.

I hope it never becomes one, much though I enjoy slang expressions in the right context.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:39 am
Where did you get that definition, Phoenix? It is very thorough!

Roberta wrote:
Flyboy, The use of "fun" in your example is not standard or acceptable usage. In fact, it makes me gag.

Rounin, I've been an editor since 1967. I consider myself a good one and a conservative one. I had no idea that I was a fascist. But, hey, if the shoe fits, . . . I can't speak for all editors, so I'll speak for myself. My focus in my job is to make the ideas and language of the writer as clear and precise as possible. A good editor should leave no trace evidence. By this I mean that a good editor should make changes that seamlessly fit into the author's writing. If a writer is very informal, the editor--this editor--adjusts. However, if I saw "That is so fun" in even the most informal writing, I would change it, unless it were a quote. So there you have it. Another fascist heard from.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Roberta. Language fascists together! Why is trying to stop English becoming the laziest and most contrived language 'fascist?' The use of 'fun' as an adjective just stems from laziness, from not being able to use 'humorous' and the like. It's sad that the accepted standard of English is coming from the bottom, rather than from the top. That's probably why hardly anyone learns acceptable grammar: 'why go through all that work when people will understand you, anyway?'
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:46 pm
I don't mind being called a fascist (in this regard, at least) if it means adhering to some sort of standard. The question posed, Rounin, was not "What can I get away with?"; it was "Is this usage accepted by professionals?" And that's what people in this thread responded to.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:33 am
I would say that fun as in 'a fun time' is a noun modifier. You can find loads of them - a forum junkie, junk food, a food buff... therefore funner and funnest don't apply. W

But what do my fellow editors think about 'That party was fun'? A postpositive adjective?

A sinister meaning of fun has crept into the advertising world - a fun size of chocolate bar. It means very small but packaged to look like the real thing and therefore more expensive than an ordinary piece of chocolate.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:24 am
Yeah, a big hiss to "fun size" chocolate! Another thing they're called is "snack size," which makes the full-sized ones what -- a meal?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:04 am
I don't see what's wrong with fun as an adjective. Just because it came into usage 50 years ago doesn't make it wrong - a lot of other words and usages aren't that old either.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:53 am
I have no objection to "That party was fun" and no objection to "We had a fun time." Why? I don't know. Seems okay to me. What bothered me, and still bothers me, is "That was so fun." Still gagging over that one.

As for "fun size," another euphemism. Now fun means small. I guess a "really fun size" would be microscopic, or perhaps bite-sized.

I'm remembering when a Three Musketeer bar was big enough for three people. It had the indentations for easy sharing. Now it's just a name. Sigh.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
Roberta, your O.K.'s and not O.K.'s are identical to mine. If you ever figure out what makes the unacceptable hair raising, please let me know.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:46 am
Flyboy, That's gonna take someone far more linguistically knowledgeable than I.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:00 am
Roberta, thanks for mentioning the shareable 3 Musketeers! I didn't know if I was remembering something that never existed, or not!

I suppose you could still share one with two friends... better for the waistline anyhow! Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
Clary wrote:
But what do my fellow editors think about 'That party was fun'? A postpositive adjective?

That party was fun
That meal was good
The sky is clear

Good point. I think used like that, it is an adjective. Gosh. But I would never write "a fun party", and I cannot exactly say why. Maybe just usage.
0 Replies