Losing White America

Miller

Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:18 am
Losing White America
Posted on July 22nd, 2010 by Patrick J. Buchanan

On Monday, the Department of Agriculture demanded the resignation of Shirley Sherrod over a two-minute videotape where she appeared to describe to a cheering crowd of the Georgia NAACP how she denied assistance to a poor white farmer about to lose his land.

Declaring itself “appalled” at this “shameful” act of racism, the NAACP said it would investigate the Georgia crowd that cheered her and praised the Department of Agriculture for firing her.
On Wednesday, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack was begging for Sherrod’s forgiveness, and the NAACP was burbling apologies.

For the video turned out to be an excerpt from a speech in which Sherrod described her growth from a bitter black woman whose father was murdered by a white man into one who found joy helping poor white folks keep their farms.

What was it that caused the rush to judgment by Vilsack, the NAACP and a White House that supported the ouster of Sherrod without talking to her or viewing the full tape?

Panic. The White House fears it is losing white America because of a false perception that it harbors a bias against white America.

Outrageous, rail those journalists who celebrated the NAACP’s accusation that the tea party is harboring racists and is too cowardly to confront them.

Yet, as things perceived as real are real in their consequences, if the White House does not eradicate this perception, its lease may not be renewed. Whence comes that perception?

Several incidents.

First was the startling accusation by Attorney General Eric Holder, days after Barack Obama was inaugurated in a gusher of good feeling, that we are all “a nation of cowards” when it comes to facing issues of race.

A real icebreaker for a national conversation.

Second was the instantaneous verdict of the president, when asked about the arrest of Harvard’s Henry Louis Gates by Cambridge cop Sgt. James Crowley. With no knowledge of what happened, Obama blurted out that the cops had “acted stupidly.”

It took a White House beer summit to detoxify that one.

A third was the revelation that Obama’s first Supreme Court nominee, Judge Sonia Sotomayor, the “wise Latina” herself, had gone to extremes to see that the case of Frank Ricci and the New Haven, Conn., firefighters never got to the Supreme Court. Ricci and co-defendants had been denied promotions they had won in competitive exams solely because they were white and no black firemen had done as well.

The fourth was the Justice Department’s dropping of charges against members of the New Black Panther Party, whose intimidation of voters in Philadelphia had been captured on tape.
When a department official resigned in protest and went to the Civil Rights Commission to accuse officials at Justice of ordering staff attorneys not to pursue such cases, that explosive charge, too, was ignored by Justice.

Came then the NAACP smear that the tea party was harboring racists, which Joe Biden explicitly rejected on national television on Sunday, before the Monday firestorm over Sherrod.

Now, whatever one’s views on each of these episodes in which race played a role, white Americans are being forced to address them. And, surely, the White House understands this is bad news for Obama and the Democratic Party.

For though the black community remains solidly behind Obama and the white majority is shrinking toward minority status by 2042 or 2050, depending on which Census survey one uses, whites in America still outnumber blacks five to one. And if forced constantly to come down on one side or the other of a racial divide, most folks will wind up with their own.

In past elections, Democrats have raised race — allegations that black churches were being torched in the South, that George W. Bush’s opposition to a hate crimes bill meant he was coldly indifferent to the dragging death of a handicapped black man — to solidify and energize the minority vote. And, today, that vote remains solid behind Obama,

Where the erosion is taking place is in white America, among working- and middle-class folks who voted for Hillary Clinton in the primaries but took a chance with Obama in the fall. Now, every time some new incident erupts, these folks are being tarred.

Opposition to affirmative action is racist. Supporting the tea party gives aid and comfort to racists. Opposing health care puts you in league with folks who used racial slurs on Rep. John Lewis. To raise the issue of the New Black Panther Party is to play the race card.

One understand the bitterness of tea party folks who carry signs that read: “What difference does it make what this placard says. You’ll call it racist anyway.”

As the National Journal’s Ron Brownstein has been reporting, white America is increasingly alienated and distrustful of all our major economic and political power centers — the banks, big corporations, the government.

And, for the first time in our lifetimes, outside the South, white racial consciousness has visibly begun to rise.

American Conservative

ebrown p

Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:23 am
I love Pat Buchanan.
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
Losing White America

have you looked behind the couch?
Foofie

Sun 25 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
If Black Americans were the dominant (economic) group, that came to America and did what WASP Americans did to make this country a prosperous nation, then they too might not care for a white politician that talked in a way that made Black Americans believe that the U.S. might soon become a "cradle to grave" welfare state a la Scandanavia.

We are just not a homogeneous population where higher taxes for social programs is well received by those who tend to be the haves. (In Scandanavia, when the "cradle to grave" paradigm first was accepted, I thought Scandanavia was a fairly homogeneous society where everyone was practically part of an extended family, so extra taxes were not resented for social programs. It was all in the family, so to speak.) I believe race is just a red-herring diversion for those that identify with conservative or liberal values. I say this since there are plenty of white folks, I believe, that would like to see the wealth "spread around." So, regardless of my lack of wealth, I will continue to vote nationally for conservative candidates, since I do not want to think of myself as an ingrate to those families that built this country on conservative values, and had a lot of the proverbial "heavy lifting" to do, before my family came to this country.

Miller

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:38 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Losing White America

have you looked behind the couch?

You mean the little "dust bunnies"?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:13 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
If Black Americans were the dominant (economic) group, that came to America and did what WASP Americans did to make this country a prosperous nation,

That's an intestering... just how did Black Americans come to America (while Wasp Americans were making the country prosperous)?

ebrown p

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:15 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
"One of the strongest causes militating against the full Americanization of several millions of Jews in this country is their belief - instilled in them by their religious authorities - that they are 'chosen,' that this land is theirs, that the inhabitants are idolators, that the day is coming when the Jews will be supreme."

Henry Ford
djjd62

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:24 am
@ebrown p,
oh those wacky jews

as for the topic, i'd say most of the output of movies, tv and music would be a good reason to lose white america

wait, we might be back to the jews again Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:50 am
@Miller,
Interesting post; where will this issue lead to in November?
failures art

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:53 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
If Black Americans were the dominant (economic) group, that came to America and did what WASP Americans did to make this country a prosperous nation,

That's an intestering... just how did Black Americans come to America (while Wasp Americans were making the country prosperous)?

Idea

A
R
T
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 01:30 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

You are not accepting my hypothetical thought by going back to the reality of history. My hypothetical thought is based on slavery not existing for either race.
ebrown p

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 01:34 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
You are not accepting my hypothetical thought by going back to the reality of history. My hypothetical thought is based on slavery not existing for either race.

That is an awfully big hypothetical.

You are also still not addressing the Antisemitism that is a big part of the "hypothetical" narrative Mr. Buchanan (and Miller and you) are continuing.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 01:42 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
"One of the strongest causes militating against the full Americanization of several millions of Jews in this country is their belief - instilled in them by their religious authorities - that they are 'chosen,' that this land is theirs, that the inhabitants are idolators, that the day is coming when the Jews will be supreme."

Henry Ford

I have no idea why you bring up this point; however, I personally never thought Jews were "Chosen," since they were the only ones that came for the proverbial job interview to worship one God (in a world of paganism). In my opinion, the claim that Jews were "Chosen" is an attempt to let Gentiles feel/believe they too were in the "running" and God just chose the Jews. Not so, in my opinion, Gentiles were busy worshipping a whole pantheon of Gods, and they were not in the running, so to speak, nor did they show up for the job interview at Mount Sinai.

Now mind you, this does not make Jews any better than Gentiles (in the monotheistic world); however, it does give them a degree of "seniority" if there is ever a trade union of monotheists. I say this tongue in cheek, but I do feel older than many Gentiles, in a collective sense, since so many of my fellow citizens only have a collective consciousness going back to the Middle Ages at best. I would guess that could easily be utilized by anti-Semites as another pejorative against Jews for being so old a religion. By the way, many of the top Nazis were quite young for a Germany that had been previously ruled by comparatively old Prussians. Maybe I am on to something?

ebrown p

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 05:57 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
have no idea why you bring up this point

Then let me explain it to you. This is an example of antisemitism. Henry Ford was a well known antisemite. I am not supporting antisemitism by posting it, rather I am using it to point the ways that one type of bigotry parallels another.

The arguments that conservatives make against Blacks and Hispanics are exactly the same as the arguments used to justify hatred of Jews in the 1930s (and later). Antisemites claimed that there was a Jewish Invasion. They claimed that Jewish inability to assimilate was a threat to American culture.
There were angry mobs stirred up to oppose immigration (some of which was illegal) in the run up to WWII who were screaming send the Jews back to where they came from.

And most relevant were the claims that Jews were part of a plot to use welfare and other social programs to steal money from "white protestants".

To hear people who identify themselves as Jewish use the same canards against other minorities that were used against them is rather disturbing.

In general Jewish groups, such as the Anti-Defamation league, have been at the forefront in standing against bigotry toward any group. In my view, bigotry is bigotry no matter which minority is the target.

Foofie

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:44 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
have no idea why you bring up this point

Then let me explain it to you. This is an example of antisemitism. Henry Ford was a well known antisemite. I am not supporting antisemitism by posting it, rather I am using it to point the ways that one type of bigotry parallels another.

The arguments that conservatives make against Blacks and Hispanics are exactly the same as the arguments used to justify hatred of Jews in the 1930s (and later). Antisemites claimed that there was a Jewish Invasion. They claimed that Jewish inability to assimilate was a threat to American culture.
There were angry mobs stirred up to oppose immigration (some of which was illegal) in the run up to WWII who were screaming send the Jews back to where they came from.

And most relevant were the claims that Jews were part of a plot to use welfare and other social programs to steal money from "white protestants".

To hear people who identify themselves as Jewish use the same canards against other minorities that were used against them is rather disturbing.

In general Jewish groups, such as the Anti-Defamation league, have been at the forefront in standing against bigotry toward any group. In my view, bigotry is bigotry no matter which minority is the target.

O.K. point understood. Also, one never knows where one's friends might be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Trujillo

He had a policy of allowing Jews from Europe to have asylum in the Dominican Republic. And, what was once a very Jewish neighborhood in Manhattan (also Irish I believe), Washington Heights, is now very Dominican.

However, I think the antipathy to Jews was just the importation of European anti-Semitism, since there are never enough Jews to really change a culture. The fear with Hispanics, I think might have something to do with the love of their language, and not usually being Protestant. So, based on their numbers, and birthrate, the fear is grounded in concerns other than old-fashioned anti-Semitism which was more of an economic fear, I thought.

Regardless, this is a big country, and it will be awhile before there is no room for more people. By that time the population might just be something different than it is presently, based on mixing.
0 Replies

Eorl

Mon 26 Jul, 2010 07:51 pm
http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/skin-colour-map-indigenous-people

I don't see "white" anywhere. I do see that perhaps people of European ancestry should return to more polar latitudes to where they are better adapted. That should be up to them of course.
Miller

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:25 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

http://maps.grida.no/go/graphic/skin-colour-map-indigenous-people

I don't see "white" anywhere. I do see that perhaps people of European ancestry should return to more polar latitudes to where they are better adapted. That should be up to them of course.

Good idea! After this heat wave we're having in many parts of the US, I've decided to buy a small condo up in Alaska for use during the Summer months.
Oh, how I love the word "POLAR".
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:31 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

Henry Ford

I have no idea why you bring up this point; however, I personally never thought Jews were "Chosen," since they were the only ones that came for the proverbial job interview to worship one God (in a world of paganism). In my opinion, the claim that Jews were "Chosen" is an attempt to let Gentiles feel/believe they too were in the "running" and God just chose the Jews. Not so, in my opinion, Gentiles were busy worshipping a whole pantheon of Gods, and they were not in the running, so to speak, nor did they show up for the job interview at Mount Sinai

Chosen:

The word "chosen" was and is used by Jews to signify that they were the ones CHOSEN" by God to receive the TORAH .

That's what the word "chosen" means. Nothing more, and nothing less.
Miller

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Interesting post; where will this issue lead to in November?

The Tea Party gaining more momentum?
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 06:36 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

Henry Ford

Too bad old Henry isn't around to see two Jewish women sitting on the Supreme Court.
0 Replies