for being 1st in class for/in English.

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:19 am
This certificate is awarded to Johnson Smith of Primary 3A for being 1st in class for/in English. (What is meant is that he topped his class in English.)

Should I use 'for' or 'in'? Are there any errors in the sentence?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 549 • Replies: 5
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:27 am
English is the name of a class in most English-speaking schools I know of. It's where you learn grammar and reading and writing skills. Smith was among the top students in that class. I'd use "in".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:28 am
English is the name of a class in most English-speaking schools I know of. It's where you learn grammar and reading and writing skills. Similarly, you might have classes called "French" or "Spanish" or "World History". Smith was among the top students in that class. I'd use "in".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:46 am
But English school systems and other ex-British school systems may do it differently. PGWOdehouse was always awarding his fictional students prizes in things like "Scriptural Knowldege", and "class" can also mean "all the students in a particular year of school", so Smith could have done the best at studying English amont all the 8-year-olds.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
In the UK we would generally say "Frank was first in his class in history" if we are talking about a position in a list or ranking. However when taling about the individual alone we might use "at" - Frank was good at fencing or French.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
@tanguatlay,

This certificate is awarded to Johnson Smith of Primary 3A for coming first in English.

0 Replies