More Than One Way to Euthanize a Cat

chai2

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 03:02 pm
@faithbrooks,
faithbrooks wrote:

i know you made this post a few years ago but my cat has a rapid growing tumor. she won't eat or drink & she can hardly walk. I'm refusing to take her to a vet & have them out her down. They won't give me any medicine to help comfort her or anything. Do you any suggestions as to what I could give her to put her down at home? i'm worried that she won't die & that she'll just go into shock or something if I don't give her enough ):

Call a mobile vet who will come to your home.
0 Replies

4knots

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:11 am
@kickycan,
I just had the vet put my sweet cat, Dolly, down, and even though they came to my home, it was the hardest thing to do. She was only 6 years old, but she was disabled from birth, and she was no longer able to control her bowel or kidney. It was doubly hard because she was so young, and she was such a trooper. She could still jump onto our bed as well as over the pet gate we bought to prevent her trying to go down the stairs, but she would jump it, sit there a minute to recover from the jump, then she would literally fall down the stairs...this happened over and over again. And when I would go upstairs, she would crawl back up the stairs. If I was only up there a few minutes, I would carry her back down with me. I love her still and I miss her beautiful green eyes and her sweet disposition, and, yes, I will forever feel guilty for putting her down via euthanasia.
0 Replies

4knots

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:17 am
I had a vet come to my house to euthanize my sweet cat, Dolly. I still feel guilty for doing it, even though she could not control her bowel of pee.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:44 pm
@4knots,
I understand the feeling of guilt, 4knots, but you didn't really have a choice.
0 Replies

Chris Johnson

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 03:18 pm
@kat361,
Hi Kat,
I read your response about euthanizing a cat and appreciate your point of view. One thing that you said was of particular interest, you mentioned the ease of getting the right drug in Mexico and I was hoping for more information.
I spend 75% of my time in Westlake village CA which is 180 miles North of the San Ysidro border crossing. The other 25% is spent 99 kilometers South, I have a house that is 10 minutes N. of Ensenada (pop. 1\2 mil.) and I should be able to get anything there.
Can you please tell me how you go about getting the right drug and how is it administered? I have taken my mom's old dogs to the local shelter to be put down but the last time I went, they said it would take 5 days before they can get to it. My cat is about 16+17 years old and I want her to have death with dignity.
Thanks for any information you can provide, it's truly appreciated.
Chris Johnson
[email protected]
0 Replies

maschneider63

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 11:08 am
I have read the posts on this site. I thoroughly understand wantint to euthanize your beloved pet at home. The vets charge a lot of money! My beloved cat of 10 year was diagnosed this last year with leukemia. I went through expensive chemo and steroids to no avail. She is literally starving to death at this point. I am a compassionate and responsible pet owner. I want my beloved friend to go in peace in her own home. I am not cruel. I know this will be hard. Has anyone tried sleeping pills? I take generic Ambien. I don't know if this would work. I want my beloved to cat to pass without any pain. Thanks so much!
0 Replies

metzcettera

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 09:40 am
I recently had my cat put down (cancer/lots of pain) the "normal" way at the vet, and while they had her on a warm rug and blanket and tried their best to be gentle and kind, I question how humane it really was. They gave her the first shot to make her fall asleep -- which took quite awhile. Then the second drug that kills her had to go into a vein. They had a difficult time finding a good vein and it took three different tries in different areas. I was told this wouldn't hurt because she was out, but I know I felt her flinch. I believe it either hadn't fully taken effect, or the "knockout" drug left her semi-conscious but unable to move. She was a cat that always freaked out at the vet, and was scared, and for all I know, in terrible pain. While it would have been a terrible day no matter what, it could have been far less awful. I would have much rather have given her Valium and let her fall asleep in my arms. I haven't done it, but if I ever have another pet in a similar situation, I might consider it.
0 Replies

Kimgrits

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2017 04:20 am
Tonight her mama and daddy are going to put our beloved pussycat down in her house and in her favorite place (a basket) we crushed up a pain pill and Xanax and stand by with potassium. She is 23 1/2 years old. We are doing this because we love her. She'll be with us and she will feel safe. It is truly a shame that a similar method is not available for humans. The cost of home euthanasia $200.00 which seems excessive. There have been no seizures or other problems. Our friends are coming over for a celebration of her life and a burial. Grieving already. She has been a blessing for our family.
0 Replies

revelija

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 06:57 pm
@Sumeklam,
Have you ever done this yourself? Helium is an inert gas, it is not poisonous of itself, it kills through lack of oxygen. Simply holding it under an animals nose will absolutely not be fatal as plenty of oxygen will still be drawn in. The only way to make this work would be in a sealed container where the oxygen has been replaced by helium, easier said than done. Taking no stance on the advisibility, carbon monoxide from a vehicle is a much more reliable method.
0 Replies

spanx

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:29 am
@iguana,
how long does it take ... you didn't mention
0 Replies

spanx

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:33 am
@xxkanemagexx,
i want to humanely put my cat down as he is in kidney failure and it's so hard to see him in so much pain that he is writhing and growling and hissing last night.
i woke up today to find him hiding behind the toilet and when he saw me he came out on his own.
it's like he's looking me in the eye and asking me to do something.
i have been crying for 2 days now.
i want him home to pass.
how much did you give to help your kitties pass.
please i need to help him.
not just for me but for him as he is in so much pain.
0 Replies

spanx

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:38 am
@Sumeklam,
if i get a balloon with hellium in it will that work?
i'm curious as to how much it will take.
it sounds humane to leave them sleep and then let them breath it in to pass comfortably in their sleep.
0 Replies

spanx

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:44 am
@FLORIDACRANEOP,
but you didn't say how long and do they thrash etc.
i want him to sleep painless with no thrashing.
0 Replies

spanx

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 10:35 am
@kickycan,
i am going to check that out as well. thank you
mm25075

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:34 am
@spanx,
spanx

Let me first say that I am sorry this sort of thing has to happen to your cat *hugs* It's always tough when we have to let go of our furry companions.

Not every cat reacts the same way to being put to sleep. I have had several cats that had to be let go. After the first shot they seemed very peaceful and comforted by the attention I gave them till they were fully asleep and then the vet gave the 2nd shot.

I do not recommend doing this sort of thing yourself. There is no guarantee that just because the cat is at home, that it's passing will be any more peaceful. You will remember their last moments with grief. Do not create a situation for yourself that could cause even more hardship for you.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 09:13 pm
you realize that the person who posted this has actually been euthanized by the state of Missouri?

It was a first offense so it was just a warning.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2019 10:36 pm
@farmerman,
Are you as creeped out as I am?
0 Replies

17Bob

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2020 11:33 am
My cat has never been to the Vet except when he was a kitten and now he is over 17 yrs, cant clean himself, nothing but skin and bones no matter how much he eats. I want to put him to sleep here at home in his surroundings. How many Zanaz would it take?
0 Replies