More Than One Way to Euthanize a Cat

streetskater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 03:31 pm
@kickycan,
It's amazing how many of you semi brain-dead supposed cat lovers just freak out at the thought of home euthanasia. Over the last 30 years or so I've had to put down two pets and in both cases I preferred to let them pass at home. I did have access to the euthanasia meds to inject as my parents had a Ranch in Texas.
I'm now living in New York and have no possibility of getting those. The ISSUE IS FOLKS: My cat in late stages of some kind of Cancer goes absolutely ballistic when put in a box and taken to a vet. The whole experience is deeply traumatizing to her and always has been. I've had herr six she was 6 weeks old and she's actually never had an especially bad experience at the VET. It's just the way she's always been,'

I DO NOT INTEND her last hours on this earth to be spent in DEEP Stress Trauma.
I probably will wind up taking her to a vet but I intent to sedate her heavily with Clonazapam. I would be willing to let her pass on an overdose of that but I really don't trust an oral administration. I'd have to be able to inject it and I don't have access right now to a syringe.

Just want to make it clear! It's not about the money, it's about the stressful way many pets go out, being hauled off to the Vet. I've had NO pet ever, that enjoyed those visits.

I, BTW: cannot even imagine giving Rat Poison to Euthanize cat,
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 03:42 pm
@streetskater,
Welcome to A2K, streetskater.

You have happened to stumble across a 5 year old thread, started by someone who was famous for this very type of subject, and nearly always started with a very big tongue in cheek.
Check his threads out. Nine times out of ten you will be in for a zany trip which will raise a smile to say the least.
streetskater

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 03:52 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Not feeling too much like smiling at what was apparently a tongue in cheek Post that opened this thread..

Yeah I was just perusing the internet trying to get some sense of what an appropriate dosage of clonazpam (to sedate not euphanize) my pet would be---as I take her off on what to her will be a terror experience. Every thread I've hit has pretty much the same overall tone and tenure--don't be so cheap, have a vet do it!

Most folks who respond to these queries quite obviously have never had "farm/ranch level" experience with animals.

This isn't a barn yard cat however, she's a house cat and I WOULD vastly prefer that she could go out of this world at home rather than a the Vets.

The Rat Poison idea: I have a friend who is HIV positive from whom I thought I might be able to get a syringe. Rat Poison was his suggestion as well! ???
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 03:58 pm
@streetskater,
I understand what you're saying, as here in the UK quite a few vets provide a home service for such events.
I've had the vet come to me a few years ago, and although it was still awful for the humans, at least my dog didn't have any unnecessary distress.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Edit: I've just seen your rat poison addition. I certainly wouldn't consider that. A qualified vet who knows what he or she is doing every time, imo.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:23 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I believe rat poison is agonising?

Seconding on the home vet idea. I really understand anyone not wanting their animal to be traumatised before its death.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:50 pm
@dlowan,
Yep. Warfarin if I'm not mistaken. It causes internal bleeding, and far from pain free.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:59 pm
@Lordyaswas,
A friend's black lab ate some rat poison, or so she learned, somewhere in the hills where they lived back then. The lab made it through, probably for being a husky (in the other sense) big guy with a lot of feistiness.
0 Replies

Thewb

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have any valium, but I do have some Hydrocondone...will that work do you think? And how much.
0 Replies

f4f4f4

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:12 am
@chai2,
'they treated her like a little queen.' > 'I didn't see what happened, they did it in another room, that made me feel absolved of guilt which is why they did it that way. They treated her like a slab of meat, but treated me like a child and my obliviousness has continued to this day on the subject to the point I give bad advice to strangers on the internet born of my own ignorance."
0 Replies

f4f4f4

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:13 am
@chai2,
'When we had to put Lulu down, they treated her like a little queen.

She didn't mind the car ride there, as she was fading anyway. Plus she was in my arms, which comforted her.
They took her in the back for a moment, and clipped her hair has gently as possible, inserting the IV.'

Translation from stupidese:

'I didn't see what happened, they did it in another room, that made me feel absolved of guilt which is why they did it that way. They treated her like a slab of meat, but treated me like a child and my obliviousness has continued to this day on the subject to the point I give bad advice to strangers on the internet born of my own ignorance."
f4f4f4

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:17 am
@mlewis92104,
You need to seek help. For yourself, and your cat. Although given the age of this post it may very well be too late to suggest this.
0 Replies

f4f4f4

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:20 am
@iguana,
"humane home remedy: place the pet in a box with a personal item like shirt, run vacuum cleaner hose from car exhaust, run car until pet is gone to the next life. humane, painless, carbon monoxide. legal. still painful for you...I've done it twice when no other options were available "

You're an idiot. Having had to recover several dozen suicide victims bodies, and having had medical training, the last minute terror, panic, and convulsions of this method so hard that you can break your own neck is terrifying. You've closed them in a box so you can't see what you're doing to them absolving yourself of the guilt that you've inflicted a horrific death and you're now recommending other people do it? There's a reason carbon monoxide poisoning breaches all decent first world nations humane laws. Inhalants are not an appropriate method of euthanasia. They're easy for you to kill someone or something with though, because you aren't watching and are just firing and forgetting like a coward.
0 Replies

f4f4f4

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:26 am
@Mame,
"I think rat poison would work. Or a hefty dose of sleeping pills. Cost us $177 to put down Itchy last year."

If you knew how rat poison worked you would eat it out of shame for even suggesting this. If even one person took your advice and gave their pet one of the most horrifically gruesome and agonizing deaths then you deserve it. Rat poison works by thinning the blood so drastically that they bleed into their lungs and begin to cough causing them to rupture internally and bleed out inside themselves spasming and asphyxiating on blood filled lungs. Rat poison is so nasty it shouldn't even be used on rats if you're a decent human being. I can't believe someone is that ignorant and stupid to suggest using it, let alone using it to euthanise a beloved family pet. You're ... ugh. I don't even have words for you, you imbecile.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 04:48 pm
@f4f4f4,
f4f4f4 wrote:

'When we had to put Lulu down, they treated her like a little queen.

She didn't mind the car ride there, as she was fading anyway. Plus she was in my arms, which comforted her.
They took her in the back for a moment, and clipped her hair has gently as possible, inserting the IV.'

Translation from stupidese:

'I didn't see what happened, they did it in another room, that made me feel absolved of guilt which is why they did it that way. They treated her like a slab of meat, but treated me like a child and my obliviousness has continued to this day on the subject to the point I give bad advice to strangers on the internet born of my own ignorance."

What exactly are you going on about? You obviously didn't read what I said in full.

I was there for the entire process besides when they inserted the IV. They brought her back in still very much with us, very comfortable and calm, and gave my husband and I all the time we needed to say our goodbyes, which took quite some time. She wasn't treated "like a slab of meat" and we weren't treated like oblivious children.

My Lulu was 21 years old when we put her down, after she let us know she was done. Lulu was there for me through thick and thin, and I was there for her. I made sure that her end was dignified, comforable and pain free in every way possible.

You sir, are an asshat. If you would be kind enough to go **** yourself, I think all here would appreciate it.
Lionheart3344

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 10:36 am
@kickycan,
I disagree that vets screw people out of money...at least here in Japan. They have studied long and hard and have done wonderful work with my cats. If you get a pet, or a car, or plants, or children, you should factor in the necessary costs of living and ah, er dying/ disposing. I wish you well.
0 Replies

animal nut

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 01:28 am
will valium work for dogs too? pekingese, about 4kg. ive attempted suicide once with large dose amitreptiline & anti anxiety tabs. just got very sleepy & finally lost consciousness. no pain. was unfortunately found & taken to hosp. in coma 4 few days but they brought me back. will these meds work for cats & dogs too? id prefer to have them transition to heaven peacefully, in my arms with almost or no discomfort. how much valium / kg (pounds) will be enougj?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 10:44 am
@chai2,
I read some of 4F's posts. Obviously this person is not an animal person, this person is a self absorbed douche bag with evangelical predilections , BUT, a douche bag no less.
0 Replies

Jennifer Julson

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 10:55 pm
A cat in a carrier can have Dry Ice in a confined area. When the cat sleeps and the CO2 helps make them sleepy, while they are asleep they will suffocate without waking up. Dry ice is CO2 it sinks to ground level. be careful of other animals in the area because it can kill other animals near the CO2. A bathtub will limit the CO2 to stay in tub. CO2 sinks as it is heavier than air, and it displaces the air. The animal passes quietly in their sleep. You can buy Dry Ice at the grocery store.
roger

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 11:23 pm
@Jennifer Julson,
Helium would be much more humane, though harder to handle due to its being lighter than air. Carbon dioxide will stimulate the suffocation reaction.
0 Replies

FLORIDACRANEOP

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 07:16 am
@iguana,
It better be an older vehicle like from the 80'. The newer vehicle put out very little toxins . My friend's wife locked herself in a garage with a 2014 Nissan and took sleeping pills. The house is 2 years old (sealed garage) she was I there for at least 48 hours possibly 72 and did not even have a headache. In a foreign country (banned in USA) Hyundai had a commercial stating their vehicle emissions are so low you cannot commit suicide with them.