Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasaki?

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
surprised there hasn't been more posts on this thread recently.

Lets see if I can start the ball rolling again with this quote from

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/080505E.shtml

"The bomb was dropped, as J. Robert Oppenheimer, scientific director of the Manhattan Project, said in November 1945, on "an essentially defeated enemy." President Truman and his closest advisor, Secretary of State James Byrnes, quite plainly used it primarily to prevent the Soviets from sharing in the occupation of Japan. And they used it on Aug. 6 even though they had agreed among themselves as they returned home from the Potsdam Conference on Aug. 3 that the Japanese were looking for peace.

These unpleasant historical facts were censored from the 1995 Smithsonian exhibit, an action that should trouble every American. When a government substitutes an officially sanctioned view for publicly debated history, democracy is diminished. "

Byrnes was hoping the bomb would keep the Soviets out of Japan, but Truman was focused on saving American lives if possible. Truman was still trying to get Stalin to go to war against Japan.

On August 2nd, the military faction of Japan's government switched from a position of opposing surrender, to a position of having the Soviets mediate a negotiated surrender so long as there was a guarantee for the Emperor, no occupation of the Japanese home islands, and Japan could hold their own war crimes trials and disarm their own troops.

The government remained deadlocked though, as the other half of the government wanted to surrender just with a guarantee for the Emperor. Because of this deadlock over terms, the Japanese government didn't act and present any offer to surrender. However, the change in the position of the military faction was certainly a likely topic of conversation among those who were reading the MAGIC intercepts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:49 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I just think it very strange that the actual terms forced upon Japan AFTER the a bombs as part of "unconditional surrender", would have secured a surrender and a cessation of hostilities BEFORE the use of the atomic bombs, had they been offered.

I don't see how our response to Japan's first surrender offer would have swayed the military faction had it been offered before they knew that the Soviets were about to go to war against them.

http://www.isop.ucla.edu/eas/documents/surrender-exch.htm

"With regard to the Japanese Government's message accepting the terms of the Potsdam proclamation but containing the statement, 'with the understanding that the said declaration does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of His Majesty as a sovereign ruler,' our position is as follows:

"From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied powers who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate the surrender terms.

"The Emperor will be required to authorize and ensure the signature by the Government of Japan and the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters of the surrender terms necessary to carry out the provisions of the Potsdam Declaration, and shall issue his commands to all the Japanese military, naval and air authorities and to all the forces under their control wherever located to cease active operations and to surrender their arms, and to issue such other orders as the Supreme Commander may require to give effect to the surrender terms. "Immediately upon the surrender the Japanese Government shall transport prisoners of war and civilian internees to places of safety, as directed, where they can quickly be placed aboard Allied transports.

"The ultimate form of government of Japan shall, in accordance with the Potsdam Declaration, be established by the freely expressed will of the Japanese people.

"The armed forces of the Allied Powers will remain in Japan until the purposes set forth in the Potsdam Declaration are achieved."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:21 pm
Thats an interesting link oralloy thanks

If I understand it correctly I think the Japanese said they would surrender providing the prerogatives of the emperor were not compromised

and the Americans replied by saying the Emperor must direct his govt to effect the surrender as they demanded.

but implicit in this is the acknowledgement of Hirohito as the legitimate and continuing supreme ruler of Japan

ie the Japanese got what they wanted, that the Emperor could remain as Emperor. (Provided of course that he directed his govt. to co operate with the Allied Command in supervising surrender).

I still think that this central point, that the honour of the Emperor was not at risk, that his liberty and dignity were to be maintained- could have secured a peace, had it been offered- without dropping atomic bombs on Japan.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:21 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Thats an interesting link oralloy thanks

If I understand it correctly I think the Japanese said they would surrender providing the prerogatives of the emperor were not compromised

and the Americans replied by saying the Emperor must direct his govt to effect the surrender as they demanded.

but implicit in this is the acknowledgement of Hirohito as the legitimate and continuing supreme ruler of Japan

ie the Japanese got what they wanted, that the Emperor could remain as Emperor. (Provided of course that he directed his govt. to co operate with the Allied Command in supervising surrender).

This part gave MacArthur the power to remove the Emperor from power as he pleased:

"From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied powers...."

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I still think that this central point, that the honour of the Emperor was not at risk, that his liberty and dignity were to be maintained- could have secured a peace, had it been offered- without dropping atomic bombs on Japan.

Sort of, but not before the Soviets entered the war.

So long as Soviet mediation was possible, the military faction of their government was not going to surrender unless all four of their terms were met.

Once Soviet mediation proved impossible, the entire government of Japan was ready to accept our terms unconditionally.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 11:56 am
"From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied powers...."

As the Allies won, it would be strange indeed if the document did not make this clear somewhere. But again the document says quite clearly that so long as Hirohito gives his authority to Japanese forces laying down their arms, the Americans will allow him to remain as Emperor. Its hardly the vanquished dragged in chains at the feet of the victors is it?

Interesting program on BBC tonight previews as

After the War
Tue 23 Aug, 9:00 pm - 9:50 pm 50mins

Hirohito

In the history of the 20th century there are few figures more controversial than Emperor Hirohito of Japan. With many documents deliberately destroyed and others held in Imperial archives, the issue of Hirohito's responsibility for Japanese wartime conduct remains shrouded in mystery.

Over 14 years the armies of Japan killed millions in the name of the Emperor. To some, Hirohito was a war criminal who escaped trial. To others he was the helpless puppet of a military dictatorship.

Since his death, new evidence has come to light prompting a re-examination. This programme seeks to examine the extent to which Emperor Hirohito can be considered responsible for the war. How did Hirohito evade prosecution and retain his throne?

-----------------------

which I will watch. I still find it difficult to believe that we did not hang Hirohito as war criminal. If we had captured Hitler, would we have allowed him to carry on as Chancellor of Germany and nominal head of the German armed forces, providing he ordered them to stop fighting, and perhaps moderated his language a bit especially towards Jewish people?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 01:40 pm
Hey, Steve, once you get your teeth onto something, you don't let go, do you?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 03:31 pm
Just interested in history ci Smile

I've never said the a bombs were a crime (except in the sense that all warfare is criminal) but I do think it had an undeniable political element which transcended the immediate need of forcing Japans capitulation.

The BBC program on Hirohito was interesting. It demonstrated clearly that he was active in all major decisions of the war from the invasion of Manchuria, Pearl Harbor and the Kamakasi attacks. He personnally aproved of Tojo. In terms of war guilt Hirohito was as guilty as they come.

After the war the Americans manufactured the myth of the Emperor- above politics - a helpless prisoner of his warmonger generals. They did this because Japan was easier to control through the authority of the Emperor. It was complete bullsh1t.

At his trial Tojo said he was proud never to have disobeyed his emperor. Until it was pointed out that this meant Hirohito bore responsibility for the war. So to save his Emperor embarrassment, and lose his own life by so doing, Tojo retracted his previous statement and said the only time he disobeyed the Emperor was to take the country to war against the peace loving intentions of Hirohito. Tojo was hanged in Dec. 1948.
0 Replies

the spokesman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
It's not a war crime when your the winning side. It's not fair, I don't agree with it, but that's the sad truth. British pilots were ordered to shoot down ejecting German pilots, and that's a war crime. But was anyone on the Allied side ever punished after WWII?
Short answer, no.
Long answer, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:00 pm
the spokesman wrote:
British pilots were ordered to shoot down ejecting German pilots, and that's a war crime.

You have some support for that statement? Or are you just indulging some chin music?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:48 am
I dont think they were ordered to kill German airmen parachuting to ground, but I've no doubt some were. But most were allowed to float down into captivity, having lost their particular battle. As Setanta said you should produce some evidence to support your contention.
0 Replies

the spokesman

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
Sorry. Friend of mine (German history fanatic) told me this. I do not know where he got it from but I trust him. It makes sense and seems like "real" history. Just because they're British/Allied/Etc. doesn't mean they were morally perfect. No one is. (except maybe Gandhi, but I'm no expert on him, so, pfh)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:43 pm
spokesman, Welcome to a2k. However, I would suggest for the future that any post you make that is unsubstantiated claims of history, you'll be called on it. We have many historians on a2k that really know their stuff. Just fair warning, but enjoy the site. It's the best on this planet. c.i.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
I understand that even after the second bomb got dropped ,they were still elements in the Japanese army who wanted to carry on fighting, some troop staged an insurection in Tokyo and had to be put down by soldier loyal to the Emperor.
0 Replies

Jaffrey

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
Re: Was it a war crime when US nuked Hiroshima & Nagasak
Japan deserved to taste even bigger and even more savage atomic bomb.
Look at the current situation in Japan.
Look at the Yaskuni stuff in Japan.
Really foolish, absurd, and ridiculous.
Japan deserved to be nuked even more.

babsatamelia wrote:
**The war was over. We knew it.
Europe knew it. Hitler knew it.
Japan knew it. In fact, many
of the remaining Japanese soldiers
were busy committing suicide, for
they had disgraced their ancestors
by their failure
**Hiroshima and Nagasaki were
highly populated cities as were
the surrounding areas; chock
full of women, children, infants
**These were not vital tactical target
sites bombed by the US. The war
was over. There were no bases
here for munitions, no harbors full
of enemy ships and armed forces.
**There was no rationale as to
why these two cities must be
destroyed.
**On the other hand, there may
have been ... a very smart move
on the part of the US to strengthen
our "position at the bargaining table"
as the Allied Forces began to divide
the spoils of WWII.
**The Soviet Union did not possess
such a bomb. Nor did any other of
the Allied Forces. The USA were the
strongest, we had the "upper
hand" - we could have things
"our way"
**Was that worth what was done
to those two Japanese cities?? Was
it worth the after effects, and the
after, after effects of the radiation,
the poisoning, the burning, the
deformities. Many people were
literally atomized, blessedly blown
into oblivion... these were the lucky
ones. Scores of others lived,
suffering, dying, burning, surviving
for hours,days,weeks,months.What a
ghastly sight that must have been.
[/b][/i][/color]
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:39 am
Jaffrey wrote:
Japan deserved to taste even bigger and even more savage atomic bomb.
Look at the current situation in Japan.
Look at the Yaskuni stuff in Japan.
Really foolish, absurd, and ridiculous.
Japan deserved to be nuked even more.

babsatamelia wrote:
**The war was over. We knew it.
Europe knew it. Hitler knew it.
Japan knew it. In fact, many
of the remaining Japanese soldiers
were busy committing suicide, for
they had disgraced their ancestors
by their failure
**Hiroshima and Nagasaki were
highly populated cities as were
the surrounding areas; chock
full of women, children, infants
**These were not vital tactical target
sites bombed by the US. The war
was over. There were no bases
here for munitions, no harbors full
of enemy ships and armed forces.
**There was no rationale as to
why these two cities must be
destroyed.
**On the other hand, there may
have been ... a very smart move
on the part of the US to strengthen
our "position at the bargaining table"
as the Allied Forces began to divide
the spoils of WWII.
**The Soviet Union did not possess
such a bomb. Nor did any other of
the Allied Forces. The USA were the
strongest, we had the "upper
hand" - we could have things
"our way"
**Was that worth what was done
to those two Japanese cities?? Was
it worth the after effects, and the
after, after effects of the radiation,
the poisoning, the burning, the
deformities. Many people were
literally atomized, blessedly blown
into oblivion... these were the lucky
ones. Scores of others lived,
suffering, dying, burning, surviving
for hours,days,weeks,months.What a
ghastly sight that must have been.
[/b][/i][/color]

I thought at first you were being ironic. But after re-reading your contribution, I dont think you are capable of it. Normally I would welcome people to a2k. In your case I make an exception.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:36 pm
Steve, even though it's been ages since I posted this
thread about Hiroshima and Nagasaki; I am amazed at some of the
responses. However - I mostly wish to thank you for your succinct
reply to "jeffrey" whoever he may be. Thank you.
And, I do strenously agree that all war is evil & is a crime against
humanity. No one can argue the fact that, in war, the winner's have
the luxury of declaring who has committed war crimes, when ALL
are murderers and in that sense all are equal..... equal in evil. I
recall a quote: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for
good men to do nothing." Winners always gets to speak out
against losers. Winners are NEVER found guilty of war crimes,
nor do they accept responsibility for committing them. Perhaps
this is one reason WHY, that as highly evolved as the human race
ought to be by now, we have not reached the point where we
understand that in war - no one wins. That in war, everyone is
involved is committing horrible crimes against others. Winners
get the luxury of splitting the spoils of war which leads to more
hatred and resentment. But the human being who fights, who kills
who lives, who dies, HE never sees the spoils of a war he fought in.
Naturally the losers now attempt to perfect & improve their ability
to do maximum damage in warfare (as do we).
Ironically, we are also the nation that systematically very nearly
succeeded in efforts to effect genocide against all the races of
American Indians -- and for that...we do have a lot of nerve
blaming anyone else for committing the same. As always, when
you point your finger at anyone else for their transgressions,
you've got 4 fingers left pointing back at you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
>But again the document says quite clearly that so long as Hirohito gives his authority to Japanese forces laying down their arms, the Americans will allow him to remain as Emperor.

While I agree that it was our intent to do just that, I don't see where the document says anything like that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:57 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
>I've never said the a bombs were a crime (except in the sense that all warfare is criminal) but I do think it had an undeniable political element which transcended the immediate need of forcing Japans capitulation.

You should read the book "A World Destroyed: Hiroshima and the Origins of the Arms Race" by Martin Sherwin.

It does lay out solid evidence that the US hoped the bombs would make the Soviets more manageable after the war.

However, the book also makes it clear that this consideration came only after the decision to drop the bombs had already been made, and that decision was based solely on the Japanese question.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:11 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I thought at first you were being ironic. But after re-reading your contribution, I dont think you are capable of it. Normally I would welcome people to a2k. In your case I make an exception.

Keep in mind that the horrible things Japan did, combined with the fact that they largely got away with it, leads many to have hard feelings over the war even today.

I know it was our fault that Japan largely got away with it, because we put a greater priority on political expediency, but that doesn't change the fact that those hard feelings still exist in some people.

Maybe he lost a relative in the Bataan Death March.

My grandpa was relatively close to a Kamikaze hit, but the bomb failed to explode, and he had snuck under a life boat to play a game of cards, and the boat shielded him from the fire from the plane's fuel.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:16 am
babsatamelia wrote:
No one can argue the fact that, in war, the winner's have
the luxury of declaring who has committed war crimes, when ALL
are murderers and in that sense all are equal..... equal in evil.

I think the international criminal court was established in part so that even the winners could be prosecuted for crimes.

I do not agree that all sides are always equal. When one side commits brutal atrocities and the other doesn't, only one side is guilty of brutal atrocities.
0 Replies