Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:27 am
@hawkeye10,
I think firefly proved her point - you actually called her techniques manipulation - what a hoot!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:30 am
@firefly,
I actually at one point thought hawkeye was pulling our legs - in a sense being more and more crazy in his responses just to get a reaction out of everyone - now I think the man may be actually truly insane.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:33 am
@plainoldme,
Yeah - I usually simply bang the side of the jar which tends to loosen it up - I just wanted men to feel they were needed.

I even had used the line (in my single days - well maybe even while married) - eyelashes fluttering - but you're so big and strong (high pitched voice) - most of the men realized I was buttering them up - whether they realized it or not, they would then proceed to do whatever I requested. They like it even when you are faking it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:37 am
@Joe Nation,
agreed
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 07:31 am
@DrewDad,
No, I learned this trick when I worked at Williams-Sonoma. You hold the chair upside down and rap the lid squarely on the floor. You don't hit the rim which might bend the cover. It almost always works.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 07:36 am
Hawkeye has created the impression of having had marital problems early on and of the feeling that his wife did not live up to his expectations of a mother. He has said she will make a fine grandmother. Finally, he writes often that he does not believe in divorce.

I am torn between thinking that this pair worked things out and that divorce might have made both happier.

I do feel that no woman could have lived up to his expectations.

Perhaps, the only woman who could have satisfied hawkeye is elizabeth hasselbeck of The View.

Here is a quote from Salon on her latest statements:

Like everyone else who has seen this video and commented on it, I am completely floored that Elisabeth Hasselbeck is allowed on national television. Although she is certainly not afraid of spouting controversial (and often just plain crazy) opinions on topics as rich and varied as abortion, the morning-after pill, stalking, and Erin Andrews' choice of dress, her latest insight into lesbianism has (rightfully) sparked much internet outrage.

As the ladies of The View speculated on the rise of "late-blooming lesbians" (thank you, Whoopi), Elisabeth Hasselbeck put in her two cents:

"I’ll tell you what’s happening, it’s that older men are going for younger women, leaving the women with NO ONE."

Joy Behar responded forcefully to Hasselbeck's logic, which does seem to strongly imply that being gay is a choice, saying, "Being gay is not just holding hands and walking through the tulips. I don't think you suddenly wake up one day and say, 'Oh, I wanted to do that.' You wanted to do it, but you were just trapped in a system that has just said, 'get married.'"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2010 07:44 am
My ex would bring me a jar and say in a cave man voice: "Do man thing!"
When she wasn't looking I'd run scalding hot water over the lid and come back to her grunting and groaning with the effort. Of course the lid would loosen with a snap and we'd both break out into peals of laughter.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:27 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
You hold the chair upside down and rap the lid squarely on the floor.

Why do you have to hold the chair upside down? Why is the chair necessary to open the jar?

I have a vision of you holding a chair upside down in one hand, and banging the lid on the floor with the other hand. It's quite an image.Laughing

Running very hot water on the lid, then giving it a gentle tap, usually works for me.
failures art

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 02:17 am
I provide help with physical tasks like opening tightly sealed jars to individuals who want more than just my physical input. If a person is not interested in my intellectual input, I'm usually keen to let them figure out how to open the jar.

Fortunately, this is a theoretical policy. I've never had to deal with such a rude person where I'd feel inclined to refuse.

A
R
T
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 07:24 pm
@firefly,
I noticed that just now. I meant to write jar which is pretty far off from chair!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:57 pm
Quote:
Over the last 30 years, women have started to work considerably more hours than they once did, without easing off on child care. In fact, the opposite has happened. In 1965 women reported doing an average of 9.3 hours of paid work a week and 10.2 hours of child care. Now women not only do an average of 23.2 hours of paid work a week, but they do more child care—13.9 hours, according to the latest American Time Use survey. The hours in a woman’s week have not expanded, and mostly women have made up for it by shaving off time in other areas—housework, personal grooming, and, tragically, free time, which women have begun to claim less of in the last decade. (And, no, men haven’t decreased their leisure time lately.) But mostly what the time-use surveys confirm—for the United States and many other Western countries—is a vision of every woman as a slowly expanding colonial empire, failing to cede old territories as she conquers new ones—either because she doesn’t want to or has just fallen into the habit of doing too much Or more likely, because men don’t yet pick up enough of the domestic slack.

men, meanwhile, are moving into new areas much more slowly than women. Over the same period of time, men have decreased their average work hours per week from 46.4 to 42.6. And their childcare hours have upped from 2.5 to only a modest 7. Despite decades of self-help literature imploring men to explore their nurturing sides, the stay-at-home dad remains a rare phenomenon. Only 2.7 percent of Americans in the latest census count themselves as full-time stay-at-home dads, although that does not include single fathers or part-time dads.
In fact, one picks up an overwhelming note of reluctance, resistance, and in some cases revolt against the new breadwinner wife regime. In more traditional or more macho cultures, the concept of the alpha wife is especially hard to swallow. In South Korea and Japan, men from rural towns, and more recently even cities, are importing brides from poorer Asian countries with more traditional notions of marriage. In Spain, 20 percent of all marriages are now between a Spanish and a foreign partner, up from 4.7 percent in 1996. High-achieving women in Spain marry progressive men from Belgium or Switzerland, while Spanish men seek out wives from Ecuador or Colombia. “When a man here marries a woman from Colombia he is marrying the kind of woman he would have married 50 years ago in Spain,” says Esteve. “I suppose the women are marrying the kind of man they will find 50 years from now in Spain. The Spanish men,” he adds, “are looking for a woman from the past, while the women are looking for men of the future.”
The problem with this strategy is that the Colombian women don’t stand still, either. The men are only delaying the day of reckoning. Soon there won’t be “that kind of woman” to marry anymore.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/09/breadwinner_wives_when_the_women_make_more_money_who_holds_the_power_.2.html

MEN SUCK!

WOMEN ARE WONDERFULL!

This is story line which has become so common as to become trite.
firefly

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 11:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
MEN SUCK!

WOMEN ARE WONDERFULL!

This is story line which has become so common as to become trite.

I don't see how you arrived at that interpretation of the article, either from the excerpt that you posted or from the entire article you linked to. Where is it making value judgments about either gender?

What, in the article, made you conclude it was saying, "MEN SUCK!"?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:13 pm
@firefly,
The assumption that men are not picking up the domestic roles because we are dithering, with no mention of the other possibility which is that women keep these dutues because they refuse to give up control of the domicile even as they take control of the bread winning.

Most men are very familiar with the hostility of females towards how we chose to keep house and look after the children. Men are generally alllowed to do these jobs only so long as we follow our instructions...we are not allowed to be in charge.

Mens roles are not so much changing as they are shrinking. Shrill bitches should look at what has happened to the black family for a lesson on what happens when women refuse to make room for men, share power with men.

Edit: above is just one example of the bias against men displayed by the author....it is visable in at least a half dozen places. This will be hardly noticed by most though, as our culture is currently generally biased against men.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Most men... Men are generally... we

stats?

Sounds to me like you're generalizing from a datapoint of one.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Most men... Men are generally... we

stats?

Sounds to me like you're generalizing from a datapoint of one.

Given how well the feminists have done over the years to supress science which might contradict their assertions and agenda there is not good data to use. This is no different than attemting to use data to get to the truth of our erotic life, not currently possible.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 12:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
How convenient for you.

Let me just say that if you can't back it up with data, then please stop making fantastical claims.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 01:27 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

How convenient for you.

Let me just say that if you can't back it up with data, then please stop making fantastical claims.

so you have data which indicates that my claims are fantastical.....please present it then.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 01:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're the one making the claims, not me.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 01:54 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You're the one making the claims, not me.

You did make a claim, and since your position is that no claims should be made without data to support them then by your own standards you should have data.

If you don't then you shoulld have remained silent, as you say I should have.

Not that I would ever follow your rules anyways, as I believe that anything and everything should be open for discussion by everyone. It is only acts which the collective has the right to restrict, and the discovery process for truth is good for the preservation of the human race. Unlike many I have not yet given up on people.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 02:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
You made the claims of "most men" and "men generally."

I consider those pretty fantastic claims, especially when you have no data on which to base your claims.

To paraphrase a common Internet expression: data, or GTFO.