Tobaccy?

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:16 am
What does "tobaccy"and "hop" mean?

Context:
A: *sigh* once again you are making totally retarded remarks..

B: Yeah totally dude........are you hopped up on the wacky tobaccy right now??

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,292 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Monger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:27 am
"Hopped up", in that context, is slang for being under the influence of narcotics.

"Wacky tobaccy" is street slang for marijuana.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:28 am
Re: Tobaccy?
oristarA wrote:
What does "tobaccy"and "hop" mean?

Context:
A: *sigh* once again you are making totally retarded remarks..

B: Yeah totally dude........are you hopped up on the wacky tobaccy right now??

TIA

I'm sorry to say that B. is a rude remark, Oristar, implying that you're not in a correct mental state. "Yeah, totally dude" is agreeing but not really agreeing with you, while "hopped up" means high on drugs and "wacky tobaccy" is marijuana... tobaccy is a dialect/slang form of tobacco and wacky is slang for crazy.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:30 am
. . .Reinforcement from Piffka. Wink
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
Thank you both.
What "sorry" Piffka? A and B are not me at all. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:12 am
Oristar, I am old enough to not enjoy rude remarks.* I'm sorry that you, who are an ESL student, are learning these. How much better to be learning something literary instead of something rude. Does that make my comment more understandable?

Edited and re-edited for sloppy writing.... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:22 am
(Hiya Monger!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:42 am
Piffka- Am I missing something? I perceived Oristar's references as something he has either read or heard. I thought that he did not understand the meaning of the sentences, and wanted some clarification.
I don't understand why you perceived it as rude.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:46 am
Phoenix, I believe he was telling Oristar that that's not a polite way to talk to someone in english, and giving him a head's up that, should he say something like that to someone, he might expect to offend them :-)

I have a terrible time in foreign languages learning what is ok to say and what's offensive. . . it's always a bummer when my new favorite work or phrase turns out to be a curse. . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:57 am
The Princess has everything right there except... well... except I'm a she. heeeheee (should that be sheeesheeee?)

I just wanted to be sure that Oristar realized that it was a rude remark. If I were asking somebody about something in Chinese, I would definitely want them to tell me if it were rude.

My comment "I'm sorry to say that's rude" is just typical blah-blah. I could have said, "Well, oopsie, that's rude."
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:59 am
<brainfart> I knew that! I really did!

doh.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:02 am
Quote:
I just wanted to be sure that Oristar realized that it was a rude remark

Piffka- Gotcha! For some reason, the way that I read your post, I thought that you were accusing Oristar of being rude. See, and English is my mother tongue! Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 09:11 am
PrincessSash -- Very Happy Glad you're back!

Phoenix -- No problem! I woke up way too early and I could have been a lot more clear. Oristar also wondered what I really meant. (Keep 'em guessing... that's apparently gonna be how my day goes. Maybe I ought to go back to bed?)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:18 am
Piffka, Uh oh. I disagree with you. One dude talking to another dude. Not rude. Just the way dudes talk. I don't see the rudeness here, even if one dude isn't talking to another dude.

I'm inclined to think of such expressions as extremely informal. Things you might say to a friend or peer, but never to your boss or teacher. At least this is the distinction I make for my students.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:22 am
Roberta, That sounds right to me.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:10 pm
Roberta, that sounds right to me (Phoenix, I've borrowed your word! Very Happy )
Piffka, yes it is much better to be learning something literary instead of something rude. But I have to know what is rude and what is polite. Right?
Princess, you are an FSL (Foreign language as a Second Language) student . Eh, misery loves company. Razz
0 Replies

grottomaster

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:17 pm
I wish I was hopped up on wacky tabaccy this morning--- Whoops! It's afternoon! Another wasted day.
Hey, rude stuff and obscenity can be some of the world's top literature, e.g.:
"Shut up you whore!"
(from Hemingway's "To have and have not")
Also, Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" is full of lots of goodies like this.
The Holy Bible can be pretty ornery too.
All top literature.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:46 pm
Very Happy
Percentage:

Graceful stuff: 90%, rude stuff: 10%
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:12 pm
Ooh, FSL. . . I think I will call myself that from now on. . . much better sounding than "hopelessly monolingual" :-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:47 pm
Well, IMO I read (B) as someone pretending to agree and then asking if "the dude" is inebriated (implying he doesn't know what he's talking about).

Another slang way of saying (B) would be:

"Yeah right, guy,... are you f***ed up on something?

For example: Two dudes are at the mall and Dude One sees a shirt. Dude Two comments positively on it and Dude One says:

"Yeah totally dude, are you into the wacky tobaccy right now?" (...'cause you ain't makin' no sense.)

That's because if the dude is high, his friends don't comment on it that way (you smoking wacky tobaccy?) unless the dude has said or done something stupid.
0 Replies