what is the oldest item of clothing in your wardrobe that you still wear?

Sglass

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
I have a pair of lime green hushpuppy shoes that are almost 20 years old, "still comfortable as all getout".

Whazup with your oldies but goldies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 6,588 • Replies: 48
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:51 am
I have my "go to" dress up jacket that I've worn to almost every dress up event for the last 13 years or so.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:41 am
@Sglass,
My shoes. I've gone down three clothing sizes in this year (the hard way), which I was proud to put on my renewed drivers licence this month. I will take tons of clothes to the Goodwill as soon as I finish bagging it all.

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 11:57 am
@Sglass,
Probably my Eddie Bauer olive green long sleeved cotton (sort of a thick flannel) shirt that I bought from the men's side of the store since it had a small mandarin collar (I've loved those near forever, and rarely see them) and fit me. Now its nice and soft after hundreds of washings but retains its form and color. I think I bought it in the eighties, so it's at least twenty years old.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:50 pm
Actually I have a Geoffey Beene torquoise jacket, very stylish from the early 80's. I still adore it.

Gee, doesn't anyone else hang on to their old clothes?

Wonder if Gus has any dated overalls laying around
Mame

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:06 pm
@Sglass,
Maybe we're not old enough! lol

Acutally, I wouldn't be caught dead in anything I wore in the 70's or 80's, so my oldest thing would be a jacket from the 90's - still... 20 yrs old
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:15 pm
I have a number of skirts/suits/dresses that I bought just before I moved to Chicago in 1988. Some are back in style, some are classics that never go out of style, some will be back in style someday. Some of them still fit.

My daughter wears my Frye boots that I bought in 1969.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:27 pm
So, I get up and go look in my closet. Everything that is old there I no longer wear because they no longer fit. But, they are very expensive, just can't part with them. Silk blazers, silk blouses, nice slacks. I wore them in the 90's and they still look new. The blazers have huge shoulder pads. What to do? This stuff will never come back! Blazers?

The oldest piece of clothing that I wear constantly would be a pair of stretchy black capris with a pink stripe up the leg. Too, too comfortable. And, two of those long sweater sets that were the "new" look last winter worn with a belt. Odd. But, those are only from the 90s.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:34 pm
I have a dress that I bought for myself on my 45th birthday. I'm 63.

I also have the shell from a cashmere twin set that I bought before I met my ex in 1974 but after I graduated from college in 1969. The cardigan died in early 2007 when I put my elbows through it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 08:49 pm
@Pemerson,
Virtual everything in my closet is from thrifts, but that's a lie, I do have some bought old stuff by me. But even most of those are from thrifts.
margo

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:14 pm
I still have some t-shirts that I bought when I ran away to sea, about 22 years ago.

I wear them sparingly now because they're starting to look their age a bit. The track pants from then are just about rags - but still wearing them.

Have just discarded my favourite 20 year old t-shirt - it must have got splashed with bleach or something - some white spots appeared right in front and centre Sad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:14 pm
@Sglass,
I have a wool sweater that I bought 45 years ago ($75.00 in 1965) and I still wear it to this day. Has stayed in perfect shape except for a small hole on the sleeve. It was just a bit big for me in '65 but fits me well now.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:16 pm
@Intrepid,
Tell us about that sweater..
Sglass

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:19 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That is wonderful BBB, I have lost 35 pounds and am looking to lose another 40. All because of my high blood pressure and cholesterol. I think that I am going to have to have granny flap surgery somewhere down the line.

But by golly I do feel better with the weight off.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Tell us about that sweater..

What would you like to know? It is dark blue. I bought it at a men's shop where I had my pants custom tailored.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:25 pm
@Intrepid,
So, what is it, cotton? wool? cardigan?
Sglass

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:26 pm
@JPB,
Love Frye boots!
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 09:30 pm
@Sglass,
I have a thirty year old cashmere sweater. That was back in the day when cashmere wasnt rat fur. Its maroon, I like maroon sweaters. I wear this one first cold day of each late summer. Sort of a traditional way of welcoming the Fall.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I should have said that we had a fire (whole house inside) and lost everything, all my clothes. That was about 1991. Had planned to donate some older things to our local little theater, they were sixties clothes - mini dresses, long skirts, very colorful those 60s. Also had all my tee shirts & sweatpants stolen from a laundrymat in about 2004. Bummer, loved all those kick-around-in things.

So, now I really must part with these new/old clothes hanging in 3 closets. Don't think I'm going to get that small again. I always think I will, though.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:09 pm
@Pemerson,
My memory fails in that I might have known this, Pem.

What can I say, but good grief.
Be well..
0 Replies