Evangelical Christian Fundamentalism and American Politics

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:41 pm
bookmark...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:45 pm
The issue of gay marriage as a red flag for the Christian Right intrigues me. Even if gay marriage were permitted, couldn't certain churches still refuse to perform them? Of course they could. So what's the problem? If the church I hypothetically belonged to permitted such ceremonies, what business is that of someone who belongs to another church?

Churches differ on practice all the time...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:53 pm
How did this get diverted into a debate on gay marriage? Of course there are those who have a stick up their ass and don't realize they are enjoying it.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 02:55 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
The issue of gay marriage as a red flag for the Christian Right intrigues me. Even if gay marriage were permitted, couldn't certain churches still refuse to perform them? Of course they could. So what's the problem? If the church I hypothetically belonged to permitted such ceremonies, what business is that of someone who belongs to another church?

Churches differ on practice all the time...

and that brings us full circle back to the issue of Evangelical Christian Fundamentalism and American Politics.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 03:46 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
How did this get diverted into a debate on gay marriage? Of course there are those who have a stick up their ass and don't realize they are enjoying it.

Seems relevant to me...
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 03:49 pm
Exactly that Frank, I hardly refer to myself as a Christian because of what so many people believe about them. I can hardly consider myself in a group of self-righteous individuals who try to shove their religion down everyone's throat. Of course, that's not what I think of them. That's what so many people think of them. I don't like to confuse the issue by identifying myself with that.

I simply state what I believe having read the Bible and looked over many of the other major religions. Sometimes, when I state my opinion, I'm immediately categorized as a Christian. I'll defend my views and I can try to explain their's, but I don't want clumped with such a group. What confuses the issue even more is that I would readily say I too follow much of what Jesus taught. But, then again, the world's major religions point to the same truths in that sense. That makes it truth enough for me. Doing good is doing good no matter what language you speak. That's a pretty sure thing I might be on the right track.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 03:57 pm
MichaelAllen wrote:
self-righteous individuals who try to shove their religion down everyone's throat

This is so true of the area of the country I come from, but your point is well taken (by me anyway). I would hate to be accused of being "one of them" in reverse and fight very hard to keep an open mind - Thanks for clarification.......
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:11 pm
I have had Christian acquaintances who are liberals and also conservative. The liberal Christians are much less apt to expound on their religion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:13 pm
a different kind of religion
Since I'm an athiest, I find that when I do good things, I feel good. When I do bad things, I feel bad.

Is that too simple a credo to live by?

BBB
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:33 pm
and, it matters not is any one else knows it .......
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:40 pm
Very good points everyone......

Even thought Butrflynet's question was addressed to pistoff, I'm also interested in the question:

Butrflynet wrote:
Quote:
Give it some thought and see if you can articulate why the actions of the Christians is so foreign and outrageous to you when compared to the similar things we did. This is the heart of the issue that Lola is wanting to explore with this thread.

I agree that this is at the heart of what I would like to discuss on this thread. One answer I come up with is that this highly organized minority's tactics are different in a very important aspect from those employed by us hippy baby boomers of the 60s and 70s (loveable creatures that we are).

This minority is using techniques which disguise their true intentions. I believe if they came out and expressed their true intentions, as was done by Pat Robertson and Pat Buchanan at the 1992 Republican convention, they would lose the vote, just as they did in 92. They claim to be gaining power through the democratic process, however, they are actually gaining power by lying, hiding and manipulating the voter, like MiachelAllen who does not know their real intentions or recognize their motivation to carry them out.

Sorry I can't give more time now to answer everyone's fine points now......but I'm extra busy today. I appreciate everyone's participation. And I'll have more time later tonight or tomorrow. Carry on please.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:42 pm
Exactly what I was aiming for -- I'm totally put off by religious loud mouths. They aren't any better, nor admittedly any worse, than political loud mouths. Put them together, however, and you've got one long boring drone.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:00 pm
I came back to the topic to read over a few points. I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that you wanted everyone to agree on the topic. Anyone who disagrees in this forum is obviously a manipulated moron with absolutely no thought processes of his own.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:01 pm
Michael Allen made the comment a page back, that Christianity emphasizes forgiveness. I would suggest that this is one of the (many) aspects of the right-wing fundamentalists that sets them apart form what I call "secular" Christians. The evangelicals don't exactly hold with a doctrine of forgiveness. Condemnation seems to be their strong suit instead.

I was glad to see Morrone's book mentioned. I think he has a very strong thesis throughout the book. Also worth looking into are the actions and ideology of the revivalists of the early twentieth century. The current marriage of christianity and right wing politics seems to originate in this era. Billy Graham was one of the figures who came to prominence in this period, as did Amy Semple McPherson.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:02 pm
MichaelAllen wrote:
I came back to the topic to read over a few points. I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that you wanted everyone to agree on the topic. Anyone who disagrees in this forum is obviously a manipulated moron with absolutely no thought processes of his own.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:09 pm
bob - I disagree with "The evangelicals don't exactly hold with a doctrine of forgiveness." which is right in line with MichaelAllen's comments, they do forgive only if you accept their doctrine....

However, in all fairness to MichaelAllen, he emphasizes that he doesn't believe in fundamentalism. And, I take it that this is one of the primary reasons he doesn't take their view.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:19 pm
I'm sorry MichaelAllen...........I didn't mean to insult you. I'm simply saying that if you don't know these folks you don't know the real dangers. Ignorance is quite different from stupidity. I welcome your point of view, whatever it is.....as long as we don't get into pissing contests.

It's presumptuous of me to assume what you would feel if these folks were honest and direct about their beliefs and goals. They scare hell out of me.......and I know them well. They are not a benign force and intend nothing short of imposing, forcing their judgemental, punitive, guilt provoking attitude and rules of behavior on us all, without our true consent.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:27 pm
Agree or not.
I certainly don't view Lola's intent as seeking agreement of her views. The topic is open to various views. I did find it interesting that the control issue seems to be at the heart of of the topic. Sure, it is about control. It is also about just how certain groups go about gaining a measure of control. Right now the USA seems to be centrist yet those seemingly in more control are far to the right in the political spectrum. Damn right that bothers me!!!

The Patriot Act 1 and now 2 and the stealth tactics of sneaking in more power of control over citizens doesn't seem to worry many people. The justification seems to be: If one is a "law abiding citizen" where is the concern?

How does this relate to the exact topic of this thread? Right Wing Christians seem to be 100% behind these measures. It seems to be in line with their agenda. Yeah, maybe a slight exageration but close enough for me to be real concerned. When Fallwell said various negative things about the Muslim religion it was quite alarming. I ued to view these people as a pathetic joke and mock them. Now I still mock them but they are no longer just a side show of Religious freaks. He and the other leaders of the Right Wing Christian crowd have clout with the Govt. regime that is in power and four more years of that power block will spell doom for liberty in the USA in my biased view. Remember that little instituriton called The Supreme Court?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:34 pm
Good comments everyone.

Michael -- I got your message loud and clear. Thanx.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:39 pm
Lola wrote:
I'm sorry MichaelAllen...........I didn't mean to insult you.

You didn't insult me. I can take it. I've been battling this front on three different topics all day. I love this s#&t.

What's hobitbob doing? Are you rolling your eyes?
0 Replies