gun metal gray

fansy

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:46 pm
What is this colour? Is it the colour of gun shat shoots cannon balls, or the colour of a hand gun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 870 • Replies: 4

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:57 pm
@fansy,
http://www.google.com/images?q=gun%20metal%20gray&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Above is a link to images that came up when I googled the phrase. It refers to handguns. Unfortunately, guns can be made of various metals with various colors. The images look to run from what I would call brushed nickle to blue gun metal.

roger

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:52 pm
@littlek,
Yep. The Army used to use a protective finish called Parkerizing on the M-1 and M-14 rifles, but that isn't what is meant by gun metal gray.
0 Replies

hudson155

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:41 pm
its a matte silver.

please help me answer my question at: http://able2know.org/topic/158815-1
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:37 pm
@hudson155,
gun metal grey is a HEX or Munsell color number. It was from the family that gave us "Battleship Grey"

Munsell numbers cover as many colors as we can define. I think that there are tens of "Gun Metal greay" shades on the Munsell liswt. Google up "Munsell color+ Gun Metal Grey" and you will get an alpha numeric tag. A color described by some given name like gun metal is actually vague to those in color engineering (or in mining, a careful and repeatable description of the rocks being mined)
0 Replies