Obama's done a lot, but gets little credit for it; why?

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:32 am
July 16, 2010
Obama's done a lot, but gets little credit for it; why?
Comment By Steven Thomma | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Step by step, President Barack Obama is building a record of major legislation that's sure to make a mark on history.

The most sweeping financial regulation since the Great Depression. A vast expansion of health care, which Democrats had wanted for more than six decades. An $862 billion stimulus package that locked in long-sought Democratic priorities.

Yet his job-approval rating remains low. Why doesn't he get any credit?

First, the economy remains shaky. Second, he went farther with a big-government, big-deficit approach than some voters wanted, notably independents, who've turned against him. Third, he broke some of his own vows in the process, such as by becoming a backroom deal-making politician to get health care, alienating young idealists.

There's still plenty of time for Obama to recover and be re-elected in 2012, particularly if the economy rebounds, the unemployed start going back to work and people start feeling the benefits of his achievements in their lives.

For now, however, he's still trying to convince Americans beyond the beltway that his success in Congress will pay off for them. His fellow Democrats are worried that any eventual payoff won't come in time for their congressional elections this fall.

"I don't think he gets any credit on the economy. I don't think he gets any credit for passing the bailouts or his budgets or health care," said Brad Coker, a pollster with Mason-Dixon Polling & Research.

"I don't think he gets credit until things start to work. If they work, he'll get credit. They have to start working by summer or early fall of 2012 for him. But I don't know that there's time for any of it to work by this fall."

So far, Americans give the president middling grades.

Just 44 percent approve of his performance in office, according to the latest Gallup Poll on Friday, while 48 percent disapprove.

They lean against him issue by issue, according to a new Bloomberg News poll:

•On the economy, 44 percent approve and 52 percent disapprove.

•On addressing problems on Wall Street, 42 percent approve and 50 percent disapprove.

•On health care, 46 percent approve and 51 percent disapprove.

•On the federal budget deficit, 37 percent approve and 59 percent disapprove.

The biggest problem is that unemployment remains high and people are worried about their jobs, their paychecks and their savings.

His White House reported this week that the economic stimulus had saved or created about 3 million jobs. Some private-sector economists, such as Mark Zandi of Moody's Analytics, called that a reasonable estimate.

People don't buy hypotheticals, though. Obama said that unemployment would stay below 8 percent if Congress enacted the stimulus package; instead it jumped past 10 percent and is now at 9.5 percent.

They also don't see many benefits yet from such major initiatives as health care, which is being phased in over several years.

"It's hard to see how the average person can see any meaningful change in his life for the better because of these things," said Dennis Goldford, a political scientist at Drake University in Iowa.

The White House is launching a new summertime campaign to turn that around.

In a call with reporters Friday, senior White House adviser David Axelrod stressed the achievements of the president's record, and said the political benefit would take care of itself.

"His motivation was not politics. ... Someone once said that good government is good politics, and it's certainly true," Axelrod said, referring to a quote from the late Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley.

"There are things that relate to people's everyday lives that are going to change for the better," he said. "In so many of the things we've done, we've tried to address concerns people have in their everyday lives."

He cited the new financial regulations' protections for credit card users and mortgage borrowers, the health care law's guarantee of insurance for people with pre-existing medical conditions and the student loan overhaul's expansion of aid to college students.

Another reason Obama isn't getting credit is that some voters are balking at how much he's expanding the power and cost of the federal government.

On health care, for example, Coker said many Americans thought that the president went too far. They wanted changes, but not as many as Obama pushed through.

"They didn't want them taking over the health care system," Coker said. "Most people thought it needed some changes, but weren't necessarily ready to buy the whole package."

However, polls also found that a significant number of those who opposed the health care law did so because they thought it didn't go far enough; many preferred a government-run public option insurance plan, for example, but the law didn't include one.

Finally, in the process of getting his way, Obama's been more Lyndon Johnson than Jimmy Carter.

To get health care, for example, he broke his own pledge to conduct all negotiations on C-SPAN, and he and his Democratic allies cut deals for votes behind closed doors. Young people, who'd voted for Obama in 2008 to change politics, tuned out.

"He ran against the good old boy politics. But to get things done, he's played legislative hardball," Coker said. "So even on style points, he loses for getting most of his agenda through."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/07/16/97695/obamas-done-a-lot-but-gets-little.html#ixzz0txD4l5xA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 5,368 • Replies: 99

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:53 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
the economy, jobs, afghanistan, iraq, the economy, health care, jobs, afghanistan, the economy, afghanistan, the economy. BP, politics as usual, afghanistan, jobs. BP, oil spill response, afghanistan, health care and some other major issues.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:09 am
@dyslexia,
worse than all that, he's an elitist, i heard the other day that he has a favourite tv show, and is it some common man american idol or survivor network show, no, it's a cable show, and not a real working man american cable show like ice truckers or those endless documentaries on the hitler, er, history channel, it's Mad Men, now i ask you, how can a man like that relate to the average american
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:46 am
Maybe the powers that be only want him to have one term in office, and then a more popular Democrat will carry the ball after 2012?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:18 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Doing a lot and getting a lot done (in the sense of solving problems) are two very different things.

He claims, with some validity, that he inherited the financial meltdown, but he also inherited his solution for it: massive governmental bailouts. If the bailouts worked and saved us from falling off the precipice, his contribution was to continue the remedy put into place before he took office.

His response to the economic fallout of the meltdown -- recession and attendant unemployment -- was hardly bold and innovative: a President McCain would have pressed for a stimulus plan as well.

Obama and the Democrats, however, got to decide how the proceeds of such a stimulus plan would be spent and in that decision they deserve whatever credit or blame is appropriate. Notwithstanding the entirely unsupportable claim of millions of "saved" jobs, his stimulus plan has fallen well short of expectations he and his advisors initially set. It's rather childish of him and Biden to argue that although the plan didn't deliver what they promised, without it things could be a lot worse than they are.

Obamacare was an overreaching response to a much narrower problem, and it was rightly perceived to have been shoved down the throats of a public that did not, in the majority, favor it and through political chicanery.

I happen to believe that, for the most part, his policy on Afghanistan has been correct, but it's execution has been anything but a success, and we are getting closer and closer to an artificial deadline for withdrawal which, if met without a significant turn-around, will almost certainly result in another disaterous Vietnam style pull out.

The financial reform package is another 2000 page monstrosity that no one has read in its entirety and no one truly understands. Enough non-partisan critics have already voiced concern that it will not help to prevent another 2008 meltdown to leave a bad taste in an already skeptical public's mouth.

Iran remains firmly on course to obtain nuclear weapons and Islamists are still trying to kill Americans both here and abroad. There is no objective reason to believe that the rest of the world appreciates us any more than they did during the Bush years despite a succession of breast rending, hair-shirt speeches by the One.

His government's handing of the Deep Horizon Oil Spill is seen as incompetent and ineffective.

All of his grand promises of transparency have been proved to be fraudulent as has his promise to break free of partisan business as usual politics.

His thin-skin, scolding tone, and endless excuses have given lie to the promise of an eloquent and inspirational new leader.

If he didn't have the media still covering for him his numbers would be even worse.

He gets no credit because he deserves none.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:36 pm
Isn't this symptomatic of the American desire to having everything be instant? I'm constantly annoyed at both Dem and GOP actions because the important stuff takes longer than 4 years to get done, and too many won't dare go there because it will harm their chances for reelection if it doesn't bear its fruit by the appropriate November...

A
R
T
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:54 pm
Jumping in the economic slurry pit , is easy, getting out is so much harder. The threat of a depression that made us all shudder has been averted, could it have been so much better if had inherited a stable economy with no massive debt. In my opinion the Republican propaganda machine has worked its wicked way and by its drip drip effect has deprived Obama of any real chance to succeed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 04:32 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The Republican strategy is to diisconnect the start and gearing up of the economic crisis and to place it all on Obamas head.
As if the guys who got us into this knew how to get us out. Further, GOP has been entirely obstructionist in its bag of "solutions". The GOP only wants to, by doing nothing, make it more difficult to extract the economy from the spectre of a full-frontal Depression.

The tea baggers are a movement that was shortly constituted after Obama took office and hadnt even gotten his hands dirty. SO, in its long term objectives, the tea baggers are kind of aryan nation types. (Periodically some of these loonies almost spurt out ":White Power" in a moment of passion)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 10:50 am
IMHO, the biggest reason he gets very little credit can be placed at one thing.

As he campaigned, he said over and over that there would be NO TAX INCREASE for families making under $250,000 per year.
Since then he has increased spending and proposed new taxes on EVERYONE, not just the "wealthy".

And some of those tax hikes are directly aimed at those making the least money.
parados

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 11:08 am
@mysteryman,
He doesn't get credit for what he is done because you blame him for something he hasn't done?

That makes almost no sense at all MM.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 11:29 am
I believe the question at the start of this thread makes a presumption that flies in the face of the facts. Most of the opposition to Obama relates entirely to things he (and his party in Congress) has done and others he intends to do. He most certainly is being "given credit" by his opposition for his actions, both taken and asserted to be forthcoming.

It may be that some of his loonie supporters are focused on additional actions he hasn't yet taken. However, I believe that represents a fairly small and extreme slice of the electorate. Such outliers are almost always dissatisfied with the government in power.

I certainly give him credit for an initiative that will vastly expand government entitlements and very likely worsen the quality of health care in this country; for mindless spending on his political constituencies that will burden the country with debt for generations and slow our economic growth; and for a financial regulatory regime that will harm major elements of our banking anf financial systems (and corporate governance as well) but leave out entirely the principal culprits behing our recent catastrophie (Fannie Mae & Freddy Mac). I'm also willing to give him credit for an expected attempt to cripple the economy with a nonsensical cap & trade policy with respect to carbon emissions.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Hi georgeob 1. I am the least of the social scientest so I was hopeing that you may be able to help me to have a more comeplete understanding of economics.
When you speak of what you believe, "Are you refering to your studies as a student of social science mainly economics, or are you perhaps a professor of economics?
The political economy is way over my head and I was hopeing to meet others who are more informed than I. Thanks for any help. Reasoning Logic
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 01:40 pm
The answer is that he has not formed an emotional connection with the citizens, and he has not done what the majority wanted. He is on the corporate classes team, not ours.

His plan was to do it anyways, even though it is not what we wanted, and then later he would convince us that he did the right thing....that he had to do it this way. He forgot that we dont trust Washington, and that by looking like traditional Washington he has no chance to come back later and convince us because we now dont trust him. It does not make any difference what the facts are, him being completely right in the end will not save him, and there is scant evidence that he was right in the majority of his positions.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you serious about this quote? I find it a little odd! Maybe I am wrong.

[It does not make any difference what the facts are, him being completely right in the end will not save him.]
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
Sure I am sure, relationship and perception trumps technical facts. Look at Palin and in the past Edwards on the upside, or the defeat of Carter and the withdrawal of Gary Hart on the downside. Even the election of Obama, who was an unproven unknown. And as I said, the midterms in the first term of Clinton.

You can also look at how Obama keeps trying to sell his story of success using facts and numbers and how not only is America not buying it, but we keep downgrading our opinion of Obama
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
[It does not make any difference what the facts are, him being completely right in the end will not save him.]

i think it's the fact that he's completely left, that's going to be his undoing Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Ok i think that I may see your point of view in your quote, but you say we. Do you include yourself? Part of your quote. "Sure I am sure, relationship and perception trumps technical facts. Does this apply to you also?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Does this apply to you also?
Contrary to rumour I am human, so yes it does.
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Contrary to rumour I am human

wait, what?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 08:13 pm
@parados,
How did you get that out of what I have said?

He did raise taxes on people making less than $250,000 a year, even though he campaigned on the promise not to.
He said his health care proposal was not a new tax, yet now the admin is calling it a tax and defending the tax increase.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/health/policy/18health.html?_r=1

Quote:
WASHINGTON — When Congress required most Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty, Democrats denied that they were creating a new tax. But in court, the Obama administration and its allies now defend the requirement as an exercise of the government’s “power to lay and collect taxes.”

Quote:
The law describes the levy on the uninsured as a “penalty” rather than a tax. The Justice Department brushes aside the distinction, saying “the statutory label” does not matter. The constitutionality of a tax law depends on “its practical operation,” not the precise form of words used to describe it, the department says, citing a long line of Supreme Court cases.

Moreover, the department says the penalty is a tax because it will raise substantial revenue: $4 billion a year by 2017, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

In addition, the department notes, the penalty is imposed and collected under the Internal Revenue Code, and people must report it on their tax returns “as an addition to income tax liability.”

So, he HAS raised taxes on the very people he promised would not se a tax increase.
Thats just one example, there are others.