Obama's done a lot, but gets little credit for it; why?

xris

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 11:50 am
From an objective that has had no great expectations but felt he represented an America that had moved the world into a new era, yes I am disappointed. BUT that disappointment is with America not the president. You have laid into him from the start . The right wing press and their actives have done their job they have destroyed and weakened his position and made his intentions look like a damp squids. The contrived public demonstrations reminiscent more of Iran than a free America appeared on my TV screen, with constant repetitive annoyance. Those who knew they would loose their monopoly on the health service, spent millions destroying his intended action. HE DID NOT STAND A CHANCE. His only error was naivety that big money has power , the power to destroy, by any means it feels necessary..They have won and America has lost. The world has lost. Yes and you who desert him are naive and beyond my comprehension. When will you realise that the real power in America does not lie with the people or the President but invested corrupt monopolies ..Your revolution was in vane your no freer than when you paid for tea tax..The teabaggers know the truth, they have the your keys to freedom.
Khethil

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@xris,
Quite right - though expect that virtually no one in that mindset to agree. We're a feisty group these days.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:15 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:

There are a LOT of factors that go into this topic's question and its complexity isn't likely realized by us not completely in-the-know. Even so, I think its a great question. Here's what I see the reasons are for his current predicament:

1. The biggest issue is the 'promises' one; its a trap every US president falls into, except that he did it to levels I've never seen. You see, in order to even have a chance at the presidency, every candidate must make promises they can't keep. This is due to the naivety of the U.S. culture; as if the reality of each situation - which they can't completely know while campaigning - wouldn't change whether or not they'd make these promises in the first place. ...

2. His second biggest mistake is tied to the first: Despite realizing that he can't keep all the promises he made, he pressed to make the reforms he thought he could; volatile, contentious issues. And since any change at all precipitates someone getting pissed and disappointed, the two (Can't keep *these* promises but I'm going to to push through the ones I *can*) just added fuel to the fire. ...

3. The third largest dissatisfaction-factor I see is the environment he came into; mainly, the economy and ongoing wars. These can't be 'fixed' by the president alone and will inevitably take years to recover or solve (if at all) - but we are a country of blame-layers and the president is the only *single* target we can point at. ...

I think he'll be taken out of office at first chance; which really is a shame, but all things considered is not surprising.

Thanks

Clearly no other president has been beset with so many preexisting problems of such complexity and intractability. We have no right to criticize his actions because we lack the unique insights and understanding that makes him the wonder of the age.

Clearly the electorate is unworthy of the wonderful president who wishes to so fundamenatally change and improve the way they live. One can only conclude we need a new electorate, not a new president.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I've seen enough of you Cyclo to realize that as far as you're concerned it doesn't matter what I contend or deny.

Want to make another political bet on the Nov elections?

GOP takes back the House.

If they don't I start a thread entitled

Cyclo Knows More About Politics Than Finn

If they do, you start a thread entitled

Finn Still Knows More About Politics Than Cyclo

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I've seen enough of you Cyclo to realize that as far as you're concerned it doesn't matter what I contend or deny.

Want to make another political bet on the Nov elections?

GOP takes back the House.

If they don't I start a thread entitled

Cyclo Knows More About Politics Than Finn

If they do, you start a thread entitled

Finn Still Knows More About Politics Than Cyclo

Done! Gives me a chance to redeem myself after the last one.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Clearly the electorate is unworthy of the wonderful president who wishes to so fundamentally change and improve the way they live. One can only conclude we need a new electorate, not a new president
I am going to get flamed for this but I dont care: This is the same thing that I have been saying re sex law, food choices, and speech....people dont behave the way they are told to behave, so obviously we need to change people....try to bully them into doing what is wanted, and when that does not work criminalize what ever is not wanted and start locking the sons of bitches up until they comply with the demands. We tried that will alcohol, we are still trying it with drugs, and now we are trying it with a bunch of things.

Enough. The barbarity and the lack of humanity inherent in this mindset is stunning. Might makes right, if what you are doing does not work get a bigger hammer, Compassion and reality be damned.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Good, because if you notice, I took your predictions and made them my sig line. They will remain there till after the elections.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:53 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Good, because if you notice, I took your predictions and made them my sig line. They will remain there till after the elections.

I had noticed; I think it's cute.

I wonder why everyone is so dead convinced that the Republicans are going to take back the house. They would have to win 40 seats or more in order to do so - actually, 39 or more - without losing a single one that they have held. This is certainly possible but hardly guaranteed.

I think the Dems have yet to begin making their strong argument against the GOP this year, preferring to keep their powder dry somewhat longer.

Also, the real factor that nobody is counting on is the splitting of the Republican vote from the Tea Party vote. There exists more than one race in which the Dem is going to win due to divisions on the other side.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:56 pm
@xris,
What utter tripe.

Obama won the presidency.

Democrats held the House.

Democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate

The mainstream media has, all along, been in the tank for Obama.

Wall Street contributed more money to the Obama campaign than it did to McCain.

The full force and funds of the Unions and the Trial Bar have been behind him from the outset.

The idiotic health insurance industry, AARP, and the AMA cut foolish deals with him on healthcare, and provided their support.

He got want he wanted on TARP, the auto-industry bail-out, stimulus, healthcare and financial reform.

He was rebuked on Cap and Trade thanks to members of his own party, but he's still pushing it hard.

He got his first SC appointee and is poised to get his second.

He won the frickin Nobel Peace Prize.

And you make the absurd claim that he's been the victim of the American Right.

Not surprising since you've made it clear you have little regard for Americans.

It can't possibly be that we have reason to disapprove of him. How could we when you have made the determination that he's not only America's last best chance, he's the world's as well. After all you can't be wrong.

Disappointed with America? Who the hell cares?

And in keeping with the Leftist trope you suggest that reservations about his lack of experience and record indicates racism.

Yes, that must be it. Feeling trepidation about someone without a track record running the country must be sinister, because it's entirely illogical.

I'm sure you would have no problem investing all you have in the decisions of someone who has no record of success, but talks pretty...and if he's black---well there you go, to do anything otherwise would make you a racist after all.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 03:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Democrats had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate

Untrue. The Democrats held 58 seats in the house, with 2 independents - one of whom, Lieberman, did not side with the Dems on several issues this year.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I am not sure the repubs will take back the house.
I hope they do, but I'm not gonna bet the farm on it.

Look at it this way, if you are correct, then my keeping it up where everyone see's your prediction helps you.
If your wrong, then ...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Finn said Senate, you said House.
Those are 2 different bodies, btw.

I think you meant Senate, and judging by your numbers you did, but you said House.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
what's the prob Finn?, you sound panicked.
According to a Gallup poll released yesterday, Democrats have taken a six point lead over Republicans in generic ballot preference for the upcoming midterm elections.

The poll, conducted last week, shows that voters prefer Democrats over Republicans by a 49 to 43 percent margin -- the first statistically significant lead for the party since Gallup began tracking the trends weekly in March. Prior to yesterday's poll, support had been leaning in favor of Republicans, who held a four-point or higher lead in three of the polls.

According to a statement by Gallup, the finding is attributable largely to a shift in the preference of independents. While Democratic and Republican support for their own parties remained steady, independent support for Democrats increased five points, from 34 percent to 39 percent.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011082-503544.html
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 06:39 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Finn said Senate, you said House.
Those are 2 different bodies, btw.

You're right, I meant Senate.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 07:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
There is an vast difference between what he proposed and what has been allowed. The drug industry sabotaged the best system by its underhand propaganda. Can you remeber the letters,the blatant lies? Conservatives and the monoploies that support their twisted self interested views are constantly spreading disinformation...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:08 am
@dyslexia,
Not at all.

I'm willing to include you in the bet on the House changing hands if you'd like.

I don't believe the GOP will take back the Senate, but its possible.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:22 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

There is an vast difference between what he proposed and what has been allowed. The drug industry sabotaged the best system by its underhand propaganda. Can you remeber the letters,the blatant lies? Conservatives and the monoploies that support their twisted self interested views are constantly spreading disinformation...

What were the "big" differences?

No president or party ever gets exactly what they have proposed.

I've not heard Obama bitching about the extent of his victories, in fact he agreed with Biden that Obamacare was a BFD.

xris

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
He had no option. Objecting would have carried with it an admission of failure.
A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 09:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'll tell ya right now - the Dems will hold both houses of Congress after the election, and Obama will be re-elected in 2012. You can take both of those to the bank. Cycloptichorn

Crap. My bank failed, one of 95 so far this year...
xris

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 06:20 am
@A Lone Voice,
So the banks are failing because of what?
0 Replies