Our planet is being destroyed, does anybody care?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

William wrote:

TuringEquivalent wrote:

Caroline wrote:

I heard the other day that one country produces 152 million tons of raw sewage a year. The sea is our dumping ground. It's only a matter of time before it bites us on the bum, what I dont get is that nobody seems to give a hoot.
P.S. How come I've got a green thumbs up on all my posts.

That is wrong. It is not your planet.

TE, you couldn't be more wrong. I promise you it is more her's that it will ever be yours. Yes, you are right, no one owns it and it is our gift. The hell of it is so many don't understand her and all she can provide us. This topic has been hijack by those same men who have soiled her and toiled her and in their laughable assumed all mighty autonomy still don't realize that yet. What a pity!

William

Why so personal? This planet is not a property of any particular person.

The answer to that is easy. For many people, religion is always personal, and for those people, environmentalism is their surrogate for religion. Even their language suggests that. We must be the saviors of the planet. And fervent believers are always thinking that those who do not share their faith are headed for the fires of hell (i.e. global warning) and seek to convert the unbelievers. The Environmentalists even have their priests who show them the way. One of their chief priests in someone they call, "algore".

You are attacking the person, and not the issue. Perhaps, what you say is true, but the issue is about the environment.

Yes. I am attacking how the issue is being dealt with, and how the issue is understood. And pointing out that people of that kind are unlikely to have a sane view of the issue, and how the issue is to be dealt with. And I am also defending myself, and all others who think as I do, that the issue of global warming or climate change, or whatever it is now called, has been vastly exaggerated, and has taken on a life of its own which can only be called, unhinged. And people (as the media report) are getting tired of it, and wonder what fuels it. It is the fanaticism that is so suspect, and how, as was pointed out, it has become personal. One should also note how much money is now involved.

Ok, the issue is about global warming, and as such, a matter of scientific dispute. If so, then whether it is exaggerated, or not is not relevant. The consensus tell us that there is global warming, and we ought to always side with the majority of the experts.

But the issue is not just whether there is global warming, but how much, how serious it is, and how to respond to it, if at all. Those are largely policy issues, and not just scientific issues. (And with the scandals concerning even how the data has been collected and fudged, even what the experts have been saying is suspect).

I guess the majority view is that global warming is real, and serious. As such, we ought to side with the majority.

Global warming is a scientific matter, because where the answer lies must necessary come from scientists, and not politicians.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
And it also lessens credibility.

Unless some sort of ban on free speech is implemented regarding the discourse what you will find is that there are kooks on both sides.

That's the problem with people - some of them are kooks - some of them are even right, and still kooks.

So Caroline's "Sewage is destroying the Earth" thing is kooky.

But Glenn Beck's applauding of thieves is also kooky.

And - in my opinion - Caroline's kookiness is perhaps less malign than Glenn's, because:

1) Seems motivated by compassion.
2) The salient facts seem to support caution over willful ignorance.

Quote:
There has also been a lot of spin over whether scientific data have been fudged, and the outcome is not at all clear, as would be expected it would not be.

If you're willing to learn about the salient facts it is actually quite cut and dried that:

1) CO2 absorbs more of the spectrum of infrared radiation than (i) most other atmospheric gasses and (ii) the average of atmospheric gasses taken as a whole (in other words there are atmospheric gasses that absorb more - such as methane - but they aren't very common atmospheric gasses compared to CO2).

2) Molecules which absorb infrared radiation vibrate, and this vibration generates heat (or, more accurately, IS heat).

3) Stands to reason that more CO2 in the atmosphere equates to more heat.

4) Taking carbon that has been sequestered in the ground for millions of years and burning it will increase the % of CO2 in the atmosphere.

5) That's what many human industries do.

6) So we might well expect to see a corrolation between rising temperatures and periods of human industry involving burning previously sequestered carbon.

7) That is apparently the case.

What climate scientists try to work out is whether or not there is a warming trend (clearly according to even the most conservative data sets) and whether other factors might be causing it (it doesn't seem so, though the solar cycle, and patterns involving heat loss from el Nino-la Nina events causes short term disruption of the pattern).

This is all known with confidence by most people with an interest, and it matches all the datasets recorded, whether they derive from bodies accused of fudging or not (and what's more - I repeat that no body has had accusations of fudging upheld against them - people seem pretty sure that fudging goes on until it comes to proving it - then they shut up).

Quote:
In any case the view of scientists is my no means as unanimous as you and others make it sound.

This is a common canard and I think it's easy to illustrate why its a logical fallacy.

It isn't the job of scientists to reach unanimous consent on a given issue - what is considered apt is for those scientists within a field to reach consensus.

So a chemist has no more authority on climatology than a pest controller or a politician or a journalist. It is climate scientists who have the training and knowledge to act as the best authorities.

It's also the mark of a good scientist to remain skeptical, even if things do reach consensus. Otherwise they can't move forward can they?

That said, within the climate scientist community I understand that it is something like 99% who support the notion that the current warming trend (which even the 1% acknowledge) is forced or outright caused by human industrial processes.

That is consensus by scientific standards. As to the reasons behind the doubts of the 1% I am not sure - I suspect it is easier to buy 1% than 99% myself.

The genral scientific community is propbably less convinced - but why would a paeleontologist's opinion of climate change matter any more than John Doe's?

Assuming that scientists tend to respect each other's methods we might expect the number of people within the scientific community to tend towards support that climate change is affected by industry to be greater than that of the general public.

Which is what we do see.

Quote:
By the way, as long as I have your attention: you presented a list of measures environmentalists are plugging. What the hell has not killing whales to do with saving the planet? How would the destruction of whales lead to the destruction of the planet? It is this kind of thing which I find annoying and somewhat idiotic.

Ken.

Go back to that post.

Read it again.

Try to understand all the words and the order they are presented to you.

Tell me where I said killing whales would lead to the destruction of the earth or supported such a notion.

What I actually said was that different people would be effected by different reasons to different degrees. In the case of species destruction I even admitted that the reasons involved were mostly aesthetic in nature.

Nothing to do with planetary destruction.

You're so keen to project your prejudices regarding anyone that sticks up for an environmental issue that you don't seem to be able to actually understand the point.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:17 am
Ken,

I've been watching this thread bounce around and one question keeps coming to mind over and over: On what do you base your "hysterical" assessment? I see what you're talking about and believe I understand your mirth. Presented or perceived as you say, I too would find it annoying as hell - but I haven't and am curious. But for every environmental issue discussed, you seem to be pigeon holing any concern here with words like:

exaggeration
hype
hysteria
doom
unhinged
fudged data
fanatics
etc.

I see a lot on global resource and environmental issues; simply because I'd very much like to see humanity act responsibly and respectfully. But with all I've sifted through, I see almost NONE of the behavior you keep referring to; as if anyone whose concerned at all must therefore be screaming doom and havoc with their hair on fire while wearing some tin-foil outfit. Now, taking the title of this thread, I could see one construing a dire, "oh my god!"-urgency. Is this what you're talking about? Because taken in context, I don't think its so bad or too horribly-disproportionate.

From where does this perception of mass-hysteria come? You seem quite adamant and I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 09:21 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
From where does this perception of mass-hysteria come? You seem quite adamant and I'd love to hear it.

I think the answer's pretty clear.

When some environmentalists spin things to an extreme it is a bad thing and all environmentalists should be tarred with the same brush, hang their heads in shame, and return to the drawing board.

When Ken spins things to an extreme it's perfectly understandable.

From his point of view, I reckon.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:04 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

When some environmentalists spin things to an extreme it is a bad thing and all environmentalists should be tarred with the same brush, hang their heads in shame, and return to the drawing board.

When Ken spins things to an extreme it's perfectly understandable.

From his point of view, I reckon.
I agree: environmentalists who talk as if they know exactly what the climate is going to do next are about as helpful as energy spokespeople who point out that CO2 is a natural emission and therefore can't be called pollution.

I don't think we do know what's going to happen next and if we did, we don't know what possible actions would have a realistic impact.

I'm curious about the gulf stream. I wonder what information there is on what's it's doing now.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:12 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:
I agree: environmentalists who talk as if they know exactly what the climate is going to do next are about as helpful as energy spokespeople who point out that CO2 is a natural emission and therefore can't be called pollution.

But - to echo Kethil - does anyone actually claim to know what is "exactly" going to happen - or is that a strawman characterisation of people discussing various likelihoods?

Quote:
I don't think we do know what's going to happen next and if we did, we don't know what possible actions would have a realistic impact.

Well the reason we don't know what will happen next because what happens next is decided by actions taken now and its all a matter of likelihoods anyhow.

If actions taken now limit CO2 emmissions what will likely happen next is a mitigation of the warming trend.

If not - it won't.

Strikes me a lot is being done to currently limit CO2 emmissions - dunno if that balances out or counteracts new sources of CO2 though.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:53 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

But - to echo Kethil - does anyone actually claim to know what is "exactly" going to happen - or is that a strawman characterisation of people discussing various likelihoods?
If you're talking about scientists, from what I've seen they vary on how confident they are about making predictions. I posted a link one time to an "Intelligence Squared" debate on the topic... the debate title was: "Global warming is not a crisis."

As for environmentalists, if you're concerned about the present and the future, you're not likely to focus on the how precise the science of climatology is not. There's a lot of emotion involved... a little psychology and sociology says it's not all about the greenhouse effect.

Dave Allen wrote:

Well the reason we don't know what will happen next because what happens next is decided by actions taken now and its all a matter of likelihoods anyhow.

If actions taken now limit CO2 emmissions what will likely happen next is a mitigation of the warming trend.

This is exactly what I've been wondering for some time. What research has sought an answer to the question: exactly how much of a reduction in present CO2 emissions will alter the course we're on?

I'm also curious about CO2 scrubbers. Much curiousness. Not as much actually looking into it. Confused

Funny thing: before the global economy became unstable in 2008, I thought that the easiest way to reduce CO2 emissions in a serious way would be to have a global economic great depression.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:13 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

If you're talking about scientists, from what I've seen they vary on how confident they are about making predictions. I posted a link one time to an "Intelligence Squared" debate on the topic... the debate title was: "Global warming is not a crisis."

To repeat an earlier point:

This is a common canard and I think it's easy to illustrate why its a logical fallacy.

It isn't the job of scientists to reach unanimous consent on a given issue - what is considered apt is for those scientists within a field to reach a consensus.

So a chemist has no more authority on climatology than a pest controller or a politician or a journalist, really. It is climate scientists who have the training and knowledge to act as the best authorities.

It's also the mark of a good scientist to remain skeptical, even if things do reach consensus. Otherwise they can't move forward can they?

That said, within the climate scientist community I understand that it is something like 99% who support the notion that the current warming trend (which even the 1% acknowledge is observed) is forced or outright caused by human industrial processes.

That is consensus by scientific standards. As to the reasons behind the doubts of the 1% I am not sure - I suspect it is easier to buy 1% than 99% myself.

The genral scientific community is propbably less convinced - but why would a paeleontologist's opinion of climate change matter any more than John Doe's?

Assuming that scientists tend to respect each other's methods we might expect the number of people within the scientific community to tend towards support that climate change is affected by industry to be greater than that of the general public.

Which is what we do see

Quote:
As for environmentalists, if you're concerned about the present and the future, you're not likely to focus on the how precise the science of climatology is not. There's a lot of emotion involved... a little psychology and sociology says it's not all about the greenhouse effect.

Sure, any particular environmentalist may be well informed on the matter - or a sheep.

But in regards to anthropogenic climate change - it really is 99% of climatologists who agree that the issue is pressing, and it's not just Greenpeace activist types who share their concerns.

Quote:
This is exactly what I've been wondering for some time. What research has sought an answer to the question: exactly how much of a reduction in present CO2 emissions will alter the course we're on?

Bringing the net increase of CO2 to pre-industrial levels plus a bit would be a forcing factor likely to mitigate the warming. However there are issues in regard to a quick clean up - such as global dimming - which also need management.

Quote:
I'm also curious about CO2 scrubbers. Much curiousness. Not as much actually looking into it. Confused

Well, they would be a very good idea, because they can reduce CO2 percentages without a change in industrial practice. However, they work pretty slowly, so you would need lots of them in order to have an effect (like, forests of the things).

Another thing that might offset CO2 without changing industries are these kind of algal chimneys that get the CO2 they need from smoke.

But the most effective reduction is to wean off fossil fuels.

Quote:
Funny thing: before the global economy became unstable in 2008, I thought that the easiest way to reduce CO2 emissions in a serious way would be to have a global economic great depression.

Dunno - as far as I understand it renewable energy concerns employ more people than the equivalent fossil fuel concerns relative to the energy produced - so they are job creating (though that's not all good news - the price of the product may reflect that).
Arjuna

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:54 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

That said, within the climate scientist community I understand that it is something like 99% who support the notion that the current warming trend (which even the 1% acknowledge is observed) is forced or outright caused by human industrial processes.

Dude, I appreciate the bold letters. But if you would actually pay attention to what I wrote: predicting the future climate is a little more to the point than assessing the present situation.

The reason being: we still have limited understanding (umm... I do anyway) about the factors that have made the climate what it is now. Like for instance: the recurring glacial periods the likes of which the climate should be going back into fairly soon... in geological time.

Dave Allen wrote:

Dunno - as far as I understand it renewable energy concerns employ more people than the equivalent fossil fuel concerns relative to the energy produced - so they are job creating (though that's not all good news - the price of the product may reflect that).
Which is why I applaud the success of environmentalists to date... and I mean success in raising awareness. If you're around my age, you've known about the greenhouse effect for decades. The present situation in terms of public attention is obviously a change. As Aedes pointed out: there are many reasons beyond the prospect of climate related social upheaval to get with a change in our energy usage. If the threat of Armageddon is what it takes to have people take that seriously: Run For Your Lives!!!! Very Happy
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:
Dude, I appreciate the bold letters. But if you would actually pay attention to what I wrote: predicting the future climate is a little more to the point than assessing the present situation.

OK, but I'm not sure how that invalidates my point. As to whether "scientists" are good at making predictions depends on:

- The individual's competence and confidence.
- The degree of predictability and how well the governing factors are understood of the relevent field (Quantum mechanics, for example, seems to me to have high predictive power, but doesn't seem very well understood).

So, if you wouldn't trust an astrophysicist to lead a paleontological dig why then would the opinions of "scientists" on a forum mean much about climatology?

In order to learn what climatologists think and predict you need to see what they are saying. The "scientific community" in this regard are not necessarily more enlightened than the general public (though I think they might tend to be - I'd hope so).

Perhaps that's too harsh - but it does strike me that any sort of "there's no agreement amongst scientists on X" is usually an appeal to authority which is made with a fundamental misunderstanding of what that it is which makes the authority an authority in the first place.

Generally of course I'd expect a scientist of any persuasion to have repect and understanding of some other fields as well - I'm merely making the point that just because all scientists don't agree on a given topic - it doesn't imply that the ideas of those working closest to the topic are wrong or inaccurate.

Quote:
The reason being: we still have limited understanding (umm... I do anyway) about the factors that have made the climate what it is now. Like for instance: the recurring glacial periods the likes of which the climate should be going back into fairly soon... in geological time.

What's thought to occur is a general pendulum shift brought about by certain forcing measures. The earth's climate is supposed to reach a certain tipping point that sends it in one direction or another, and much like the forces that would tip a see-saw - once the motion is begun the forces act to an increasing degree until they reach a point where they can't go further, and then they swing to reverse.

The major forcer is solar activity, which is observed to go through 11 year cycles (approximately speaking) and is thought on a theoretical basis to have other patterns which extend beyond our abilities to observe within a human lifetime (or even during a particular era).

Quote:
If the threat of Armageddon is what it takes to have people take that seriously: Run For Your Lives!!!! Very Happy

Right - but as this thread illustrates the downside is that some people will get wise to that trick, and they may manipulate the perception in reverse by saying things like "this is to some extent hysterical hyperbole - you can't trust these people!"

It's a discount to claim people have to run for their lives.

But I think "this discount defines environmental concerns therefore they are not to be trusted" is another discount, and a more malign one.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:45 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

Perhaps that's too harsh - but it does strike me that any sort of "there's no agreement amongst scientists on X" is usually an appeal to authority which is made with a fundamental misunderstanding of what that it is which makes the authority an authority in the first place.

My understanding is that the theory of the greenhouse effect has been solidly supported by climatologist for quite a while. Anybody who doesn't know that is just not clued in.

The general consensus is that the main contributor to the present levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is human consumption. Some offer alternate notions. But as you said: they're allowed to. (As they're allowed to question whether fossil fuel actually comes from fossils. Ever hear that one?)

The last time I read a book on climatology, the author suggested that it's partly a science of wild guesses in terms of understanding the underlying long-range forces. Now I'm inspired to renew my knowledge on the subject. Good book?

Dave Allen wrote:

Right - but as this thread illustrates the downside is that some people will get wise to that trick, and they may manipulate the perception in reverse by saying things like "this is to some extent hysterical hyperbole - you can't trust these people!"
I know. It's a very old pattern at this point. It's called apocolypticism.
Dave Allen

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:34 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:
The last time I read a book on climatology, the author suggested that it's partly a science of wild guesses in terms of understanding the underlying long-range forces. Now I'm inspired to renew my knowledge on the subject. Good book?

Good question - what was the one you read?

To be honest I think if you're looking for a precis the best thing to do is find decent online articles, magazine articles and even some Youtube vids. If these are written by a credible type they should cite the scientific papers they draw their conclusions from - so you get the best of both worlds really - the dry data and a digestable intro to it.
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:51 pm
@Dave Allen,
And then what do you do? Getting the best of both worlds is not a permanent situation in ordinary circumstances.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:26 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:

Arjuna wrote:

Good question - what was the one you read?

To be honest I think if you're looking for a precis the best thing to do is find decent online articles, magazine articles and even some Youtube vids. If these are written by a credible type they should cite the scientific papers they draw their conclusions from - so you get the best of both worlds really - the dry data and a digestable intro to it.
I think it was called Our Planet Earth and the author had a scandinavian sounding name. I've been looking for it ever since. Can't find it, but this was a while back. The way technology is these days I'm sure a lot more is known than was then. (This was early 90's when my big quest into ancient Egypt became all about ice ages... such is the nature my education.)

Internet it is. I've actually found good books that way. Sometimes you can google the author of an article and find that person's book on amazon.com. It's particularly timely because they say the earth's electromagnetic field has a hole in it over the Atlantic of the type that might be caused by the beginning of a reversal of polarity north/south.

Scientific American maybe? I'll report back with the scoop.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:16 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

I heard the other day that one country produces 152 million tons of raw sewage a year. The sea is our dumping ground. It's only a matter of time before it bites us on the bum, what I dont get is that nobody seems to give a hoot.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:20 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

This is only 1 problem amongst endless of other enviroment disasters caused by humans, we can't give all of these endless problems top priority, we have to prioritize.

I don't really understand how you can ask such question, it's not like all countries has nothing to do, and has endless of money to throw after all the worlds problems, havn't you noticed all the enviroment organisations who fights for a better and cleaner world?
north

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:27 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Caroline wrote:

Quote:
This is only 1 problem amongst endless of other enviroment disasters caused by humans, we can't give all of these endless problems top priority, we have to prioritize.

I don't really understand how you can ask such question, it's not like all countries has nothing to do, and has endless of money to throw after all the worlds problems, havn't you noticed all the enviroment organisations who fights for a better and cleaner world?
[/quote]

lets hope that for the most part , we can get away from the old thinking of who cares about the enviroment

my enviroment is where I live , expand the clean house
HexHammer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:40 pm
@north,
north, I put you on ignore on PF, seems I have to do it again, just to save me from some headache.
north

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:44 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

north, I put you on ignore on PF, seems I have to do it again, just to save me from some headache.

you will do , what you do , for your own reasons
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:47 pm
What most of you guys totally forget when quoting all these statistics on population growth and landfill mass is natural selection. These things can simply not be measured with statistics. There's no way we could ever hit one person per square meter on the planet, simply because that would kill so many of us so quickly that our population would be sliced and diced until there were enough resources for us, however few, to live.

I've already stated how silly the idea is that we're destroying our planet.
0 Replies