9 States to back Arizona in legal brief

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:10 am
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/states-arizona-immigration-suit/

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:28 am
This is nothing political posturing. Apparently a primary Republican goal is to avoid getting any Hispanic votes in any election for the next 3 decades.

They way they are going, they very well may succeed.

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:14 am
@ebrown p,
I don't see the criminal alien vote being much of a factor after your man Odinga kills the American economy and they've all gone back to Mexico for better jobs.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:35 am
@gungasnake,
I was born here. I will never vote Republican. My kids were born here. They will never vote Republican. My nephew and nieces born here as citizens, many of them are Hispanic, will never vote Republican.

Republicans hate Hispanics. My five year old understand this.

The percentage of legal voting Americans who are Hispanic will certainly continue to rise over the next few decades.

The Republicans are doing a better job at driving them into the arms of the Democratic party then I could ever hope to do. The Republicans did much the same with Irish immigrants and Italian immigrants as well as African Americans in the past.

As Northern Europeans become a minority in the next decade or so, this becomes a stupider thing to do than ever.

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:17 am
@ebrown p,
I'm a republican and I don't harbor any hatred for Hispanics. What I DO harbor a hatred of is a rogue political party which seeks to import massive voting blocks for itself as a means to permanent power.

What I'd be willing to settle for would be a requirement of American citizenship for 18 years in order to vote.

I had to be an American citizen for 18 years before I was ever able to vote here; some reason why Hispanic illegal immigrants are supposed to be better than I am??
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:29 am
@gungasnake,
Gunga,

You are confusing the Hispanic with "illegal immigrants" (and ironically you did this right after you claimed to not harbor any hatred for Hispanics).

The majority of Hispanic Americans were born in the US.
Irishk

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:31 am
Hateful Racist Massachusetts Senate Passes Crackdown on Illegal Immigrants to Appease Hateful Racist Massachusetts Voters!

Quote:
Democrats had resisted such a sweeping proposal, but spent last evening negotiating today’s measure, shortly after a new polled showed 84 percent of the liberal-leaning state’s voters supported tough immigration rules barring state services to illegal immigrants.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@Irishk,
You're saying they got tired of paying for the upkeep of one of the demoKKKrat party's kept voting blocks??
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:02 am
@ebrown p,
What percentage of illegal immigrants in this country are anything other than Hispanic??
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:12 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

What percentage of illegal immigrants in this country are anything other than Hispanic??

About 20% (and some of those are Irish).

I really if IrishK is reall Irish... and if she is, I wonder how much she knows about the history of the Irish in the US.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:19 am
@gungasnake,
Of course, the number that matters is the number of Hispanics who are American citizens. There are 45 million Hispanic American citizens (not counting the 4 million residents of Puerto Rico).

The number that really matters it the 9.7 million legal Hispanic American voters in 2008. Most of them were born here. This number keeps increasing.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:24 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
... Republicans hate Hispanics. My five year old understand this.

No, some Republicans hate Hispanics, just as some Democrats hate Hispanics. (Maybe you need to be 10 years old to understand this concept.)
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12815177

Quote:
Donations for fund to defend Ariz. law top $1.2m
Associated Press - July 15, 2010 5:54 PM ET

PHOENIX (AP) - Contributions to Arizona's fund to help pay for defending the state's law cracking down on illegal immigration now total more than $1.2 million, with donations over 25,000 people.

Gov. Jan Brewer's office says 24,767 online contributions totaling $1,149,0087 were made through Thursday morning....
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:54 pm
@gungasnake,
If conservatives want to throw their hard earned money money to lawyers, that's fine with me (I figure it keeps it out of the hands of political campaigns where it might actually do some damage).

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:12 pm
@Ticomaya,
You don't see many Democrats pushing laws that Hispanics American citizens see as targeting them.

It is not just SB1070 and continual Republican opposition to comprehensive immigration reform. It is laws banning ethnic studies. It is repeated attempts to keep businesses from speaking Spanish and even race-based opposition to Hispanic judicial nominees.

Sure, there are some Republican individuals who aren't anti-Hispanic, but as a whole, every single political or legal effort that Hispanic Americans see as anti-Hispanic is being predominantly backed, initiated, defended and promoted by Republicans.

Looking at it through the eyes of a Hispanic American, Republicans are the party of anti-Hispanic.
ABE5177

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

It is laws banning ethnic studies.

you're a l;iear LIAR

There's no "laws banning ethnic studies" There's a new law BANNING TAXPAYERES SUBSIDIES ro "ethnic studies" You qnd your ilk LIVE on handouts so you don't know the diff

believe me many of us do and we'll remember come election time

I
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:47 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
It is laws banning ethnic studies.

You're really serious, aren't you??

A law banning ethnic studies?? I mean, why would anything other than common sense be needed to prevent people from wasting time and money on bullshit like that with this economy and today's costs of education???

I mean, why is it that nations with real cultures and achievements don't seem to need "ethnic studies" to get anybody interersted in them?

Ever notice that guys like Pushkin, Goethe, Tchaikovsky, or Richard Wagner don't seem to need ethnic studies??
ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:03 pm
@gungasnake,
My comment was to Tico... and the point to argue about ethnic studies. It is clear that you all and I will have very different points of view on that issue.

The point is that the vast majority of American voters of Hispanic descent see the banning of ethnic studies in public institutions is another slap in the face from the Republicans. My "ilk", as you call them, are American citizens of Hispanic descent and their friends. We get to vote.

(([singing] my ilk is bigger then your ilk..... ))
gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:12 pm
@ebrown p,
Dumb question...

Ever ask yourself why the U.S. didn't simply take Mexico in 1870?

I mean, the U.S. was 25 years ahead of the rest of the world militarily at the end of the civil war and there really wasn't anything anybody could have done about it.

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:15 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I had to be an American citizen for 18 years before I was ever able to vote here; some reason why Hispanic illegal immigrants are supposed to be better than I am??

I can think of thousands of reasons why any given person on the planet is a better human being than you are, Gunga.

But this is about voting and the idiotic red herring you've raised speaks to just how competent you are at being an idiot.

Quote:
What I'd be willing to settle for would be a requirement of American citizenship for 18 years in order to vote.

Yup, you're one fine patriotic, Constitution supporting Republican.