11
   

Private Messages To Me

 
 
William
 
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:35 am
I was just notified that I had one new private message and that message was block from getting through to me. Before this is done in the future again, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I can handle myself what other think may be harmful. Let me decide it what anther is contacting me is harmful or not. And by the way just who is reading my private messages? I WANT TO KNOW T HAT TOO!!!!!!! or please explain; anyone who can and thank you, Robert. You should know this is your domain or is it?

William
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:39 am
@William,
How do you know?
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  6  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:45 am
@William,
Have you sent a note to "contact us" at the bottom of the page?

General members can't address your question and posting this kind of specific question may not even be noticed by the moderators. They're volunteers and don't have a lot of time to just look around the forums.
0 Replies
 
Region Philbis
 
  2  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:54 am
@William,
Robert Gentel wrote:
PMs are disabled for new users right now
http://able2know.org/topic/152716-34#post-4273157
0 Replies
 
JPB
 
  2  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:59 am
@William,
How did you decide that someone read it?

My guess is that you're part of the group that's recently had PMs blocked. That doesn't mean someone read it, it just means that someone sent you a PM but that your access to it has been blocked because you don't have PM privileges.

That is sort of strange that you'd be notified that you've received a PM and then told you couldn't access it. I imagine it's a situation where the PM notification is automatic when someone sends you a PM whether you have PM privileges or not.
0 Replies
 
William
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:20 pm
I have a problem logging in period. Every time I do an error message pops up asking me if I forgot my password. I got through the drill every time and reset my password that has always been the same go to my email click on the link provided and THEN I am logged on again. Just like now, I am informed that I have (1) in my inbox at the top right of the page and when I click on that I get this;

Private messages temporarily suspended due to mass PM spam. We were open to discussion of alternative forums above-board but the underhanded attempts at recruiting were just not cool. To those uninvolved in the spam we apologize for the inconvenience and will restore access to PMs shortly.

William

William
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:26 pm
I do appreciate any effort attempted to keep my information in my personal computer safe. It doesn't bother me at all if anyone cares to "browse" there because I know there are those that can. What I am concerned about is that anyone can intervene whether it be man or machine between me and anyone I wish to contact or who wishes to contact me. I will decide if I will open that email or read that private message.

William
Butrflynet
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:41 pm
@William,
William wrote:

I have a problem logging in period. Every time I do an error message pops up asking me if I forgot my password. I got through the drill every time and reset my password that has always been the same go to my email click on the link provided and THEN I am logged on again.

I have advised you several times in other threads that the only people who can resolve this problem are the site administrators and that you need to click on the Contact Us link at the bottom of each page to open a Help Ticket. Have you done that yet? Are you getting a response?


Just like now, I am informed that I have (1) in my inbox at the top right of the page and when I click on that I get this;

Private messages temporarily suspended due to mass PM spam. We were open to discussion of alternative forums above-board but the underhanded attempts at recruiting were just not cool. To those uninvolved in the spam we apologize for the inconvenience and will restore access to PMs shortly.

William

This too has been explained in several threads, some of which you have participated. This is not an email notification of a private message. This is an on-site alert that tells you of the reason your use of PMs have been temporarily blocked.

0 Replies
 
Butrflynet
 
  2  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm
@William,
William wrote:

I do appreciate any effort attempted to keep my information in my personal computer safe. It doesn't bother me at all if anyone cares to "browse" there because I know there are those that can. What I am concerned about is that anyone can intervene whether it be man or machine between me and anyone I wish to contact or who wishes to contact me. I will decide if I will open that email or read that private message.

William


The only intervention is your inability to understand that no one is reading your messages, that the use of the PM system here has been temporarily suspended and that is why you can not access that message in your inbox.

The site owners have every right to rescind the privilege of using the PM system at any time. You agree to that when you make use of this site.
0 Replies
 
Khethil
 
  2  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:49 pm
Mine is blocked too William - fortunately, I'm showing a zero net to the word "Inbox" that I'm taking to mean there's nothing that I'm missing. That message is just letting us know what the deal is. Nothing to worry about.
0 Replies
 
William
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:00 pm
Thanks everyone. It's just the first time I have ever had these problems. Sorry for the "ALL CAPS". One of these days someone might explain to what "spam" is? Everyone have a nice evening.

William
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  3  
Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:07 pm
@William,
William wrote:
I have a problem logging in period. Every time I do an error message pops up asking me if I forgot my password. I got through the drill every time and reset my password that has always been the same go to my email click on the link provided and THEN I am logged on again.


I saw you say to someone that you were going to contact us about that (but you haven't) and I even saw you contact me on facebook about it (but I do not use my personal facebook account to answer questions about a2k) but if you just change your password next time you get that reset password link (you can even change it to the same one you last used) it will stop happening.

It just puts you into your account, if your current password isn't working you need to change it.

As for your other questions, nobody is reading your PMs. However I am a bit concerned about how hard and how often you hit your wife. Could you let us know a bit more about your wife-beating habits and whether you like or dislike loaded questions?

PMs are blocked for all users beyond a certain date because we don't feel like spending a lot of time policing the spam from some members who have been very abusive with this community.

Sure, I know you may not like that but this is a free service and I've already lost enough sleep and time with the spam, the crude limit will be in place until those efforts cease and I'm sorry that it inconveniences others.

At some point I'm going to sit down and tweak that to be less crude but like I said, this is a free site and it gets by with what resources it has, the spam has taxed those resources and spread us thin so the spam is being stopped by a crude, temporary, restriction. It will probably be modified sometime this month to something more nuanced.
William
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 03:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

William wrote:
However I am a bit concerned about how hard and how often you hit your wife. Could you let us know a bit more about your wife-beating habits and whether you like or dislike loaded questions?


Please explain?
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:56 am
@William,
You may be too philosophical to have caught the humour. Wink
William
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:46 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You may be too philosophical to have caught the humour. Wink


Philosophical, I am not; but perhaps we do have different definitions as to what "funny" is? I consider myself immune to that kind of contagion and particularly glad I didn't catch that humour.

William

Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
@William,
I didn't indicate that I found it funny. I was just make the assumption that Robert meant it in jest.

Then again, I have been wrong before.
William
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

I didn't indicate that I found it funny. I was just make the assumption that Robert meant it in jest.

Then again, I have been wrong before.


I understand what a loaded question is Intrepid, but many don’t and they read too. Robert answered my question and his “humorous” remark was not needed, especially to me.

Loaded questions can be identified and I think it should be the concern of all who can, to identify them as to what they are and then just ignore them. That way others learn how to identify a snake when it hisses or a troll when it passes by. Pay them no attention and they will slither and stomp away.

Now why this is a good idea. Even trolls and snakes can learn but never will they eat crow and will go to other domains to express their “new” understanding. To ban them just makes matters worse and the sharper there fangs get and the louder they scream.

Sincerely,
William
Intrepid
 
  3  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:32 pm
@William,
Um, Robert owns this site
0 Replies
 
Butrflynet
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:50 pm
@William,
Don't you find it a bit odd that you object to a machine or site owner deciding for you whether or not you are permitted to use a private message system that has been temporarily suspended, yet you want to decide for others what humorous remarks they should ignore?
0 Replies
 
Butrflynet
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:55 pm
@William,
Since you understand what a loaded question is and know how to identify them, do you recognize the loaded questions in your first post in this thread?

Quote:
I can handle myself what other think may be harmful. Let me decide it what anther is contacting me is harmful or not. And by the way just who is reading my private messages? I


Are you saying that we all should have just ignored your thread due to the loaded questions you asked?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Adding Tags to Threads - Discussion by Brandon9000
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Merry Andrew - Discussion by edgarblythe
Spot the April Fools gag yet? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Great New Look to A2K- Applause, Robert! - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Head count - Discussion by CalamityJane
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
The great migration - Discussion by shewolfnm
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Private Messages To Me
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/15/2019 at 02:42:22