Private Messages To Me

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:04 pm
@William,
You didn't get Robert's point, that you were loaded-questioning re his (or mods) reading emails. Going all insulted about this seemed very precious, or possibly an intended distraction.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:32 pm
@William,
William wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

I didn't indicate that I found it funny. I was just make the assumption that Robert meant it in jest.

Then again, I have been wrong before.

I understand what a loaded question is Intrepid, but many don’t and they read too. Robert answered my question and his “humorous” remark was not needed, especially to me.

Loaded questions can be identified and I think it should be the concern of all who can, to identify them as to what they are and then just ignore them. That way others learn how to identify a snake when it hisses or a troll when it passes by. Pay them no attention and they will slither and stomp away.

Now why this is a good idea. Even trolls and snakes can learn but never will they eat crow and will go to other domains to express their “new” understanding. To ban them just makes matters worse and the sharper there fangs get and the louder they scream.

Sincerely,
William

Well, he probably found your loaded questions kind of annoying, and you got roundly tu quoqued.

I'd say you're even now.

Actually, you're kind of ahead since you may possibly have learned 2 things.

1. If you have a site problem you ask for help by using the "contact us" feature.

2. Loaded questions imputing that someone has behaved badly with NO evidence that they have are annoying and unfair. Sometimes people may respond in a way which attempts to assist you in understanding this.

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:24 pm
Wm, you are a dry, humourless stick. I predict you won't be here long.
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:27 pm
@Mame,
When did you stop beating your husband Mame?
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:53 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Um, Robert owns this site

Ok?

Butrflynet wrote:

Don't you find it a bit odd that you object to a machine or site owner deciding for you whether or not you are permitted to use a private message system that has been temporarily suspended, yet you want to decide for others what humorous remarks they should ignore?

That’s public! What we are discussing now has to do with what is considered “private”. No one should block those. As far a “humorous” do I not have the right to discuss that humor especially if I think it is not so humorous?

Butrflynet wrote:

Since you understand what a loaded question is and know how to identify them, do you recognize the loaded questions in your first post in this thread?

No, please tell me? Perhaps your definition might be different than mine? That’s a possibility, huh!?

Quote:
I can handle myself as to what others think may be harmful. Let me decide it what another is contacting me is harmful or not. And by the way just who is reading my private messages? I

Butrflynet wrote:
Are you saying that we all should have just ignored your thread due to the loaded questions you asked?

See above.

I have never had a problem with PM’s before in any domain. If anyone has a problem there, they can copy and paste any abuse that is there and forward it. That’s fine with me. I don’t have a problem with that at all. What concerns me is not being contacted first if anyone chooses upon themselves to block access to those messages.

Now what Robert did say was there were problems and those are being fixed and it will take about a month. I understand Robert “owns” this site and surely would want to protect his investment and I am sure there is some private messaging going between Philforum members and their flight from this site is a matter that should concern him.

What a waste if Robert found value in that forum and it’s members didn’t care to stay here. Every PM I have received has been from those members speaking of their discontentment and now all PM’s are blocked???????

I have faith in this forum, I just think it was wrong to abruptly move it with very little notice given. It seems to me Robert didn’t want to hear suggestions as to what was thought there; that would have been quite a hassle I am sure he just did not want to endure. Move now; explain later seems an appropriate appraisal of just what happened.

I don’t plan on leaving here or any forum I choose to frequent. If anyone want to ban me, and that has been done by another “controlling” forum and I care not to got back to that one at all. If this forum has such control over it’s content and decides what is good for it without even as much as a notice, you will not have to ban me, I will leave of my own accord.

I have expressed all my concerns openly as to what was done and I will agree I am not familiar with the maneuvering around in strange domains. I know it will take time and I am in no hurry. I hope this problem is remedied soon. I do contact others privately when I don’t think it appropriate to speak publicly.

William
margo

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:36 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
2. Loaded questions imputing that someone has behaved badly with NO evidence that they have are annoying and unfair. Sometimes people may respond in a way which attempts to assist you in understanding this.

and some may be irritated sufficiently to respond in a less polite way!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:50 pm
@margo,
Ok, I'll be the one. William is a putz.

William, we are apt to like you and perceive your arguments. You are welcome here. Performing as a prince is not all that cute. Just talk with us.

If you want to taunt the site, be well with your own body.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:04 pm
@William,
Leaving aside the tantrum, here is your loaded question:

Quote:
And by the way just who is reading my private messages? I WANT TO KNOW T HAT TOO!!!!!!! or please explain; anyone who can and thank you, Robert. You should know this is your domain or is it?

It is loaded because you are assuming that someone is reading your private messages.

Nobody is reading your private messages, not even you as it happens, yet you assume in your question that someone is.

Hence Robet's illustrative (and, in most eyes it would appear, funny) question to you about beating your wife. It is funnier than your loaded question because Robert is not seriously suggesting that you beat your wife, while you seriously assumed that someone here is reading PM's...which is a nasty charge as it happens, and one that similarly emotive posters are quite likely to pounce on and come to believe.

Quote:
I was just notified that I had one new private message and that message was block from getting through to me. Before this is done in the future again, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I can handle myself what other think may be harmful. Let me decide it what anther is contacting me is harmful or not.

This is not really a loaded question, since you didn't ask a question about your erroneous assumption.

Your erroneous assumption is that your message was blocked because someone decided it would somehow be harmful to you (presumably by means of reading it....as you assumed in your loaded question.) Neither of these assumptions is true.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:51 am
@William,
I have been here for five years and at the beginning I did not have PM privileges either. Nobody did until they had made a sufficient number of posts over a significant period of time. This prevented spammers etc.

PM is something that was earned as a privilege not a right of being a member of the forum.

You should get over yourself and settle in. Oh, and don't tick off the natives. Wink
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
Let me end this here. Private messages should never be blocked! Many of those messages are from those who truly want to know but cannot find those answers in those controlled public domains. Robert's example of a loaded question was wiki's offering, not his. A loaded question is that which is asked by one who already has their own answer, intended for one who cannot answer with intent to demean and render helpless.

My question was entirely legitimate as I did not know why my PM's were no longer accessible by me. SPAM? I again asked another legitimate question as to what that was. I haven't gotten an answer to that either that would answer my first question as it relates to my private domain which is what PM's are supposed to be. That's why they are called "PRIVATE MESSAGES".

Paranoia? Now I can answer that question. This is my topic, let us be done with it. I now have all the answers I needed. I understand all your comments and thanks for all your contributions. Putz, huh, Osso, ha! Perhaps no thanks to you, though, ha!

William

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:04 am
@William,
Fear not William; putz is a term of endearment from our ossified buco. I look forward to your stay here.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 08:57 am
@panzade,
Oh no panz, people with his mindset should move on....

http://able2know.org/topic/158723-1#post-4285760
panzade

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@CalamityJane,
hawkeye's sock puppet?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@panzade,
Yep, brothers in crime.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:18 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh no panz, people with his mindset should move on....

http://able2know.org/topic/158723-1#post-4285760

Erk.

Not to mention the tantrums and "THIS IS HOW IT MUST BE!"

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:21 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

hawkeye's sock puppet?

So, I am not the only one to have thought that. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:40 am
@CalamityJane,
Sweetie, I disagree vociferously. People like William and hawkeye are very important to a forum such as A2k.
Why, in the last week the discussion of Polanski and the subject of rape has been very illuminating. Especially when you compare William's posts to Firefly's.
The cabal that tries to control posts and posters(think atheism thread) is anathema to me and my desire to able 2 know.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 09:50 am
@panzade,
yep
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 11:07 am
@William,
William, let me end all your angst over that 1 message that is stuck in your inbox.

I read it (just kidding) and it was from someone in Nigeria. Here's what it said:

Quote:
LAGOS, NIGERIA.

ATTENTION: THE PRESIDENT/CEO

DEAR SIR,

CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS PROPOSAL

HAVING CONSULTED WITH MY COLLEAGUES AND BASED ON THE INFORMATION GATHERED FROM THE NIGERIAN CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY, I HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO REQUEST FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TO TRANSFER THE SUM OF $47,500,000.00 (FORTY SEVEN MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) INTO YOUR ACCOUNTS. THE ABOVE SUM RESULTED FROM AN OVER-INVOICED CONTRACT, EXECUTED COMMISSIONED AND PAID FOR ABOUT FIVE YEARS (5) AGO BY A FOREIGN CONTRACTOR. THIS ACTION WAS HOWEVER INTENTIONAL AND SINCE THEN THE FUND HAS BEEN IN A SUSPENSE ACCOUNT AT THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA APEX BANK.

WE ARE NOW READY TO TRANSFER THE FUND OVERSEAS AND THAT IS WHERE YOU COME IN. IT IS IMPORTANT TO INFORM YOU THAT AS CIVIL SERVANTS, WE ARE FORBIDDEN TO OPERATE A FOREIGN ACCOUNT; THAT IS WHY WE REQUIRE YOUR ASSISTANCE. THE TOTAL SUM WILL BE SHARED AS FOLLOWS: 70% FOR US, 25% FOR YOU AND 5% FOR LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL EXPENSES INCIDENT TO THE TRANSFER.

THE TRANSFER IS RISK FREE ON BOTH SIDES. I AM AN ACCOUNTANT WITH THE NIGERIAN NATIONAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION (NNPC). IF YOU FIND THIS PROPOSAL ACCEPTABLE, WE SHALL REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:

(A) YOUR BANKER'S NAME, TELEPHONE, ACCOUNT AND FAX NUMBERS.

(B) YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS -- FOR CONFIDENTIALITY AND EASY COMMUNICATION.

(C) YOUR LETTER-HEADED PAPER STAMPED AND SIGNED.

ALTERNATIVELY WE WILL FURNISH YOU WITH THE TEXT OF WHAT TO TYPE INTO YOUR LETTER-HEADED PAPER, ALONG WITH A BREAKDOWN EXPLAINING, COMPREHENSIVELY WHAT WE REQUIRE OF YOU. THE BUSINESS WILL TAKE US THIRTY (30) WORKING DAYS TO ACCOMPLISH.

PLEASE REPLY URGENTLY.

BEST REGARDS

You now have one of many of the definitions of spam.
Letty

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 11:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Heh! Heh! I got an electronic message saying that I had won the UK lottery.