take back patriotism from a president

fansy

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:27 am
Quote:
This Memorial Day Weekend, we should all take up Dr. King’s call to action. It is time to take back patriotism from a president who has misused it to justify policies that have exacted such terrible costs—from Guantanamo Bay to domestic spying to the War in Iraq itself.

How should we interpret the meaning of "to take back patriotism from a president who..."?

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:38 am
@fansy,
It means that the President has claimed a patriotic position and used it to say that anyone who disagrees with him is unpatriotic. "Take back patriotism" means to take away the false legitimacy the President is trying to use patriotism to create.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:56 pm
I disagree. I don't think it's anywhere near that coherent. I think it's just one more demented version of the same "Let's take our country back!" spew that the right-teabag-wingnuts are flinging.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:06 pm
@snood,
Is it possible, even remotely possible that the president being referred to in this quote,

This Memorial Day Weekend, we should all take up Dr. King’s call to action. It is time to take back patriotism from a president who has misused it to justify policies that have exacted such terrible costs—from Guantanamo Bay to domestic spying to the War in Iraq itself.

is Obama? Surely, it means GWB.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:33 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Is it possible, even remotely possible that the president being referred to in this quote,

is Obama? Surely, it means GWB.

I guess I am becoming inured to the onslaught of nonsense being played on a constant loop of talking points on Faux and by rancid teabaggers, that hangs the responsibility for all those things on Obama after 19 months. As opposed to who really put those things in play - the drooling shrub, in 8 years of his ass backwards braindead administration.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
@snood,
This is a translation question.

What does "take back patriotism from a president" mean?
snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

What does "take back patriotism from a president" mean?

Kinda condescending of you to try to "explain" it to me, but thanks, I know what was meant.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:53 am
It is time to take back patriotism from a president who has misused it to justify policies that have exacted such terrible costs—

This is a rally call.

The writer feels that the office of the presidient has misused the concept of patriotism in order to justify his own agenda. So it is time that the public return that concept of patriotism to its original meaning (whatever that is)

Who is the writer talking about? the time frame covers the Guantanamo Bay prison to the War in Iraq. Probably GWB.

fansy

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 07:32 am
@PUNKEY,
The following is the link to John Edwards' article "A Deeper Purpose" in Huffingtong Post, back in May 16, 2007, but it is still accessible today.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-edwards/a-deeper-purpose_b_48605.html
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:43 am
@snood,
Well, it's pretty clear now that it referred to the idiot president.

It just momentarily astonished me, and I wasn't willing to totally discount the possibility that even a Teabagger could be this dumb.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Bad bad bad bad thing for any ESL to do, especially one at Fansy's level, to try to understand through translation. That only leads to poor language use in the target language.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 06:33 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Kinda condescending of you to try to "explain" it to me, but thanks, I know what was meant.

in that case, perhaps you could have attempted to assist fansy

ha - you don't know from condescending - but it might not be long
snood

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

snood wrote:

in that case, perhaps you could have attempted to assist fansy

ha - you don't know from condescending - but it might not be long

<cue dramatic, foreboding music> Shocked
0 Replies