would be vs would have been offended

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:09 am
1. I don't know why so many people were offended by my remark. If I had known they would be, I would have said 'crying in a helicopter' instead of a BMW.

2. I don't know why so many people were offended by my remark. If I had known they would have been offended, I would have said 'crying in a helicopter' instead of a BMW.

Which sentence is correct?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
Sentence No. 1.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm
Sentence No. 1. The "would be offended" is "the future in the past". The people were actually offended. In sentence number (2) "would have been" implies that the people could have been offended but were not.

If I knew that John would be killed, I would have refused to lend him the car. (implies he was killed)

If I had lent John the car, he would have been killed. (implies he is alive)

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 03:24 pm
@tanguatlay,
As I've mentioned before, correct is often not an accurate word to use when asking about different uses in language.

I'd not look, as I think you are, MsTan, for grammatical reasons for one choice over the other. I'd say that word choice, and therefore, semantics are making the decision here.

2. I don't know why so many people were offended by my remark. If I had known they would have ended up being offended, I would have said 'crying in a helicopter' instead of a BMW.

I'm not completely sure that 'would have been offended" is impossible here, I can't see any grammatical reason to prohibit it, though I'll agree that it isn't as likely.

A: Who would have ever thought that they would actually have been offended.

B: Yeah, for sure. If I had known they would have been offended, I would have said 'crying in a helicopter' instead of a BMW.

In this scenario, the speaker focuses on the past action, "them being offended", while in #1, the focus is more on their state "of being offended".

0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 01:04 am
@tanguatlay,
i would have been offended but i have perfect balance
0 Replies