Thomas

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
But my property rights prevent you from using my car even if I don't intend to use it myself.

... and you may well want to take advantage of that by renting your car to me. But even so, your car can only be ridden by four persons or less to any one place at any one time. The Linux operating system, by contrast, is used by millions of people, each for their own purposes, at any given time. The difference in the number of possible users and uses is several orders of magnitude.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
We need to take this one step at a time. I can understand why you'd want to brush off the issue of the amount of damages because you're probably aware of how damaging it is to your position. But that's what I want to focus on, so humor me.

It's not damaging at all. I see where you're going and I already tried to skip to the end. If I violate the contract then I owe you damages up to "the sum that would restore the injured party to the economic position they expected from performance of the promise". In this case, it would be any lost sales. Let's ignore the people that would never have bought it in the first place but would only get it for free and focus on the people that would have bought it but instead got it for free. Let's say there's a million of those people and you're selling your art for $10 each. So, I owe you $10 million dollars.

How exactly does that damage my position? It doesn't. I'd love to hear how you think it does. I never denied that removing copyright laws would be disruptive to the business of others. I simply think that individual liberty is more important than a bottom line or profit margin.

Thomas wrote:
The answer to this question is, "because intellectual property rights create an incentive to produce intellectual value."

Outlawing cars would create an incentive to produce buggy whips. What's your point?

Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
But my property rights prevent you from using my car even if I don't intend to use it myself.

... and you may well want to take advantage of that by renting your car to me. But even so, your car can only be ridden by four persons or less to any one place at any one time. The Linux operating system, by contrast, is used by millions of people, each for their own purposes, at any given time. The difference in the number of possible users and uses is several orders of magnitude.

It looks like someone is starting to understand scarcity. As you can see, a copy of Linux isn't scarce. It's unlimited, even if operating systems of that caliber are few and far between.
north

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:54 pm

Night Ripper

Quote:
I never denied that removing copyright laws would disruptive to the business of others. I simply think that individual liberty is more important than a bottom line or profit margin.

why ?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:57 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Night Ripper

Quote:
I never denied that removing copyright laws would disruptive to the business of others. I simply think that individual liberty is more important than a bottom line or profit margin.

why ?

Why do I think liberty is more important? Well I think that's kind of like asking why lying is wrong. If you have to ask then how can I really convince you otherwise? It's just my opinion. I think that all humans are equal and therefore none of us has any kind of higher authority over anyone else. If you think that people should be locked up for copying music and I think otherwise then your opinion is no more valid than mine. You don't get your way if I disagree with you.
north

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper

Quote:

why ?

Why do I think liberty is more important? Well I think that's kind of like asking why lying is wrong. If you have to ask then how can I really convince you otherwise? It's just my opinion. I think that all humans are equal and therefore none of us has any kind of higher authority over anyone else. If you think that people should be locked up for copying music and I think otherwise then your opinion is no more valid than mine. You don't get your way if I disagree with you.

to the orginator of this music and the company , who put the time , effort and expense , to produce this disc , where is the justice of stealing ?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:12 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper

Quote:

why ?

to the orginator of this music and the company , who put the time , effort and expense , to produce this disc , where is the justice of stealing ?

Please don't confuse stealing with copying.
north

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:26 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper

Quote:

why ?

why , what is the difference ?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:28 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

north wrote:

Night Ripper

Quote:

why ?

If I steal your car, you can't drive it anymore. If I copy your car, you can still drive it and I can drive the copy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:28 pm
@north,
Quote:

Is this a serious question?

'Stealing' implies depredation or loss. 'Copying' does not, for the original information or product remains intact.

Couldn't be simpler. What more, recent studies have been unable to find ANY product which was materially harmed by copying, in terms of either sales or viability.

Cycloptichorn
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

'Stealing' implies depredation or loss. 'Copying' does not, for the original information or product remains intact.

Couldn't be simpler. What more, recent studies have been unable to find ANY product which was materially harmed by copying, in terms of either sales or viability.

Cycloptichorn

I think it's a mistake to even argue that route because even if you could provide countless examples of harm from copying, it wouldn't be enough to justify intellectual property laws. Then again, my position is principled and not pragmatic.
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

so the problem in China with copies of DVD,s , music , etc. is no longer a problem then
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:36 pm
@north,
Quote:
so the problem in China with copies of DVD,s , music , etc. is no longer a problem then

What exactly is the problem? I don't even know what problem you are referring to.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:36 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
It's not damaging at all. I see where you're going and I already tried to skip to the end. If I violate the contract then I owe you damages up to "the sum that would restore the injured party to the economic position they expected from performance of the promise". In this case, it would be any lost sales. Let's ignore the people that would never have bought it in the first place but would only get it for free and focus on the people that would have bought it but instead got it for free. Let's say there's a million of those people and you're selling your art for $10 each. So, I owe you $10 million dollars.

Very interesting. So if you take my novel and copy it, you owe me nothing, but if you sign a contract and take my novel and copy it, you owe me $10 million.

The question then becomes: why is the contract so important? After all, if you take anything else from me -- say, for instance, my car -- we don't have to have a pre-existing contractual relationship in order for me to collect damages from you. So why is the contract necessary in the case of my novel?

Night Ripper wrote:
How exactly does that damage my position? It doesn't. I'd love to hear how you think it does. I never denied that removing copyright laws would be disruptive to the business of others. I simply think that individual liberty is more important than a bottom line or profit margin.

Well, let's see. You have now, for the first time, acknowledged that the creator of a work of art can suffer damages as a result of having that work of art copied without authorization. That's something you hadn't acknowledged before. You still, I presume, take the position that the creator suffers no damage if the art is copied absent some sort of pre-existing contractual relationship between the copier and the creator, but then that's an inconsistency you need to explain.

But now that you recognize that the creator of a work of art can suffer some sort of economic damage as a result of unauthorized copying, let's change the hypothetical situation a bit. Suppose I have written my one-of-a-kind novel that I want to charge people to read and that I don't want copied without my authorization. And let's say there are a bunch of other creators who have taken the exact same approach to their novels, artwork, music, and other productions that would, under the current legal regime, be covered under copyright. Now, suppose instead of each creator insisting on each consumer entering into a separate contract, whereby the consumer promises not to copy the item, the legislature passes a law that, in effect, does the exact same thing. In other words, it passes a law that says "consumers shall not copy a novel, artwork, piece of music, etc., without authorization from the creator, and if they make a copy they shall be liable for the damages." Given that you've already conceded that, if you enter into a contract with me not to make a copy of my novel and yet you go ahead and do it, you would be liable to me for damages that result from that unauthorized copying, shouldn't you also be liable to me for damages if the state passed a law that achieved the same result?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Why is the contract so important?

Contracts are voluntary agreements involving some kind of exchange, in this case money for a copy of the book. You entered into the agreement willingly knowing the terms and by taking your part of the exchange without following the terms, that is stealing.

joefromchicago wrote:
After all, if you take anything else from me -- say, for instance, my car -- we don't have to have a pre-existing contractual relationship in order for me to collect damages from you. So why is the contract necessary in the case of my novel?

Your car is real property so that's theft. I'm not arguing that theft should be legal.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, let's see. You have now, for the first time, acknowledged that the creator of a work of art can suffer damages as a result of having that work of art copied without authorization. That's something you hadn't acknowledged before.

I acknowledged that back on page 5 when I explained what I do for a living. It's not my fault you're ignorant of that fact. You should follow the discussion closely before declaring what I have or haven't said.

joefromchicago wrote:
You still, I presume, take the position that the creator suffers no damage if the art is copied absent some sort of pre-existing contractual relationship between the copier and the creator, but then that's an inconsistency you need to explain.

I never claimed that no damages were incurred. I claimed that it's simply not relevant. If you are selling lemonade for a dollar and I start selling it for a penny, I've damaged your business. So what? Damages aren't relevant. Culpability is. By violating an agreement, I've committed a form of theft or possibly fraud. Those are genuinely wrong acts. Copying is not.
drillersmum

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:48 pm
I started reading these posts because of the keywords 'copyright infringement'. Recently a music group "Men At Work" were ordered by a judge to pay out 5% of their royalties from one of their songs to 'Larriken' company simply because a few notes on a flute in one of their songs "Down Under" sounded a bit like a song written decades ago. Well, some people, even the judge, reckon the tunes on the flute sounded very much like a very old song called "Kookaburra". The ironic thing is that no one ever connected the old song "Kookaburra" to the Men At Work's song "Down Under" until it was mentioned on a tv show "Spicks and Specks" many years after it was released.
Until this happened I never really gave much thought to copyright ... I think I know the rules. I understand the concept and why it is necessary to have such laws. What I can't figure out is this... if a new song is written... and just a few notes in that song seem to resemble some notes in another previous song... how can the copyright police attack the composer of the newer song if there was no intent or even knowledge that another song existed in the first place with similar notes.
Sorry, but this latest issue with "Men At Work" vs "Larriken" has really annoyed my sense of justice. In closing I have to mention that initially Larriken wanted 60% of the royalties from the song. I'm glad they never got what they asked for. And hopefully all the new publicity for the song "Down Under" will more than make up for the 5% in royalties that have to be paid to Larriken who bought the copyright to the song for $60,000. (Big sighs)
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:19 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Contracts are voluntary agreements involving some kind of exchange, in this case money for a copy of the book. You entered into the agreement willingly knowing the terms and by taking your part of the exchange without following the terms, that is stealing.

It's stealing? Then you do recognize intellectual property rights, at least in some cases, correct?

Night Ripper wrote:
Your car is real property so that's theft. I'm not arguing that theft should be legal.

Well, a car isn't real property, it's tangible property. And I know you're not arguing that theft should be legal, it's just that you define "theft" to exclude taking intellectual property, and that's begging the question.

Night Ripper wrote:
I acknowledged that back on page 5 when I explained what I do for a living. It's not my fault you're ignorant of that fact. You should follow the discussion closely before declaring what I have or haven't said.

No, you really didn't acknowledge that unauthorized copying causes damage, but I'm glad you've cleared that up. As for your own efforts to thwart unauthorized copying of your software, we haven't even begun to explore all of the inconsistencies that entails.

Night Ripper wrote:
I never claimed that no damages were incurred. I claimed that it's simply not relevant. If you are selling lemonade for a dollar and I start selling it for a penny, I've damaged your business. So what? Damages aren't relevant. Culpability is. By violating an agreement, I've committed a form of theft or possibly fraud. Those are genuinely wrong acts. Copying is not.

OK, fine. Let's go back to the last of the many questions that you haven't answered. I wrote:

Suppose I have written my one-of-a-kind novel that I want to charge people to read and that I don't want copied without my authorization. And let's say there are a bunch of other creators who have taken the exact same approach to their novels, artwork, music, and other productions that would, under the current legal regime, be covered under copyright. Now, suppose instead of each creator insisting on each consumer entering into a separate contract, whereby the consumer promises not to copy the item, the legislature passes a law that, in effect, does the exact same thing. In other words, it passes a law that says "consumers shall not copy a novel, artwork, piece of music, etc., without authorization from the creator, and if they make a copy they shall be liable for the damages." Given that you've already conceded that, if you enter into a contract with me not to make a copy of my novel and yet you go ahead and do it, you would be liable to me for damages that result from that unauthorized copying, shouldn't you also be liable to me for damages if the state passed a law that achieved the same result?

What's your answer?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:

It's stealing? Then you do recognize intellectual property rights, at least in some cases, correct?

I meant taking the money would be stealing. Contracts come with terms that include what happens if that contract is breached.

Quote:
That is to say, a contract is an exchange of promises with specific legal remedies for breach. These can include Compensatory remedy, whereby the defaulting party is required to pay monies that would otherwise have been exchanged were the contract honoured, or an Equitable remedy such as Specific Performance, in which the person who entered into the contract is required to carry out the specific action they have reneged upon.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, a car isn't real property, it's tangible property.

Tangible means real.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1SNNT_ENUS347&=&q=define%3Atangible&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

See the second definition? You're playing word games. I know that "real property" can also refer to real estate but I meant that real property is property that exists physically, i.e. tangible. You're so desperate to be right about something, anything, that you've resorted to pedantry.

joefromchicago wrote:
Suppose I have written my one-of-a-kind novel that I want to charge people to read and that I don't want copied without my authorization. And let's say there are a bunch of other creators who have taken the exact same approach to their novels, artwork, music, and other productions that would, under the current legal regime, be covered under copyright. Now, suppose instead of each creator insisting on each consumer entering into a separate contract, whereby the consumer promises not to copy the item, the legislature passes a law that, in effect, does the exact same thing. In other words, it passes a law that says "consumers shall not copy a novel, artwork, piece of music, etc., without authorization from the creator, and if they make a copy they shall be liable for the damages." Given that you've already conceded that, if you enter into a contract with me not to make a copy of my novel and yet you go ahead and do it, you would be liable to me for damages that result from that unauthorized copying, shouldn't you also be liable to me for damages if the state passed a law that achieved the same result?

Only I can enter a contract on my behalf. The state can't do it for me. The fact that a state passes a law is irrelevant since I don't agree with that law. I don't consent.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:33 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
See the second definition? You're playing word games. I know that "real property" can also refer to real estate but I meant that real property is property that exists physically, i.e. tangible. You're so desperate to be right about something, anything, that you've resorted to pedantry.

"Real property" is a legal term that has a specific meaning. Even though a car is "real" and "property," it's not "real property."

Night Ripper wrote:
Only I can enter a contract on my behalf. The state can't do it for me.

The state wouldn't be entering into a contract on your behalf. It would simply be passing a law that accomplishes what thousands of individual transactions would do while eliminating the transaction costs. Such laws are passed all the time.

Night Ripper wrote:
The fact that a state passes a law is irrelevant since I don't agree with that law. I don't consent.

Are you saying that you take a pick-and-choose approach to laws, i.e. you're only bound by the ones that you agree with?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Even though a car is "real" and "property," it's not "real property."

Like I said, you're just being pedantic in a desperate attempt to be right about something. I'm just going to ignore anymore discussion about this since it's pointless and doesn't take away from my argument at all.

joefromchicago wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
Only I can enter a contract on my behalf. The state can't do it for me.

The state wouldn't be entering into a contract on your behalf. It would simply be passing a law that accomplishes what thousands of individual transactions would do while eliminating the transaction costs. Such laws are passed all the time.

As I said before, a contract is between two parties. If I violate the contract and then a third party uses my violation of that contract to make further copies, a contract can't do anything about that since they were never a party to the contract in the first place. The law you're suggesting would change that and make everyone bound to that contract even if they never agreed to it.

joefromchicago wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:
The fact that a state passes a law is irrelevant since I don't agree with that law. I don't consent.

Are you saying that you take a pick-and-choose approach to laws, i.e. you're only bound by the ones that you agree with?

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" -The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America (JULY 4, 1776)
Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:01 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Like I said, you're just being pedantic in a desperate attempt to be right about something.

Laughing