Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:08 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Why should copyright infringement be illegal?

Because property in copiable ideas, like property in anything else, provides an incentive to produce value. Abolishing copyright would reduce the amount of intellectual assets people produce.

Now, I'll grant you that the case for intellectual property, including copyright, is weaker than the case for property in manufactured goods. Property rights in manufactured goods have the additional advantage of allocating goods to the people who value it most. That's not the case for valuables who can be copied cheaply. There the optimal allocation of goods, once they're produced is to everyone who values them at all.

But that's only an argument for intellectual property rights being weaker than physical property rights. The incentive to produce still justifies that there be some property rights to people's intellectual work. And that includes property rights.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:08 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I'd love for there to be no police. That way I could have my own private security force that actually treats me like a customer and if I don't like their service I can go with one of their competitors.

You seem to believe police exist only for your physical protection but they also exist to enforce laws that private security would not have the societal mandate to. If you want lawlessness move to places like that with the predictable differences in quality of life. You will be able to download to your heart's content and you won't have to worry about police, just the private security forces of others.

In short order you'd see how these theories of yours could use a bit more thought.

Quote:
As for the social contract nonsense, that's been discredited since Hume.

Ipse dixits are as easy, watch: As for the social contract, that has not been discredited since Hume.

Quote:
I'm no more a party to a social contract than the poor bastard that finds himself in the middle of the ocean. I'm sure you would drive us into the sea with tanks if you could but that's not a serious offer.

There you go again. Where do you get this stuff? Tanks? Sea? My position is that intellectual property as a concept has validity, what kind of brain damage (seriously, give me your dealer) does it take to get to tanks and the sea?

Jesus, I seriously overestimated you, which is itself very surprising to me.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
Why should copyright infringement be illegal?

Because property in copiable ideas, like property in anything else, provides an incentive to produce value. Abolishing copyright would reduce the amount of intellectual assets people produce.

Now, I'll grant you that the case for intellectual property, including copyright, is weaker than the case for property in manufactured goods. Property rights in manufactured goods have the additional advantage of allocating goods to the people who value it most. That's not the case for valuables who can be copied cheaply. There the optimal allocation of goods, once they're produced is to everyone who values them at all.

But that's only an argument for intellectual property rights being weaker than physical property rights. The incentive to produce still justifies that there be some property rights to people's intellectual work. And that includes property rights.

Creation/production has nothing to do with property rights. Otherwise I could steal a block of metal from you and make a sword from it and have that sword be mine. In reality, you would have me for theft and destruction of property. Legitimate ownership of property comes about by either claiming unowned property or trading for it.

I understand that outlawing copying of music encourages the production of music just like the outlawing of cars would encourage the production of buggy whips. Of course, the costs, death or imprisonment on one hand and the lack of fast, easy transportation on the other hand, outweigh any perceived benefits.
Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:21 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Creation/production has nothing to do with property rights. Otherwise I could steal a block of metal from you and make a sword from it and have that sword be mine.

I'll keep that in mind the next time someone gets arrested for stealing a book of metal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:23 pm
I'm the one who dealt with this stuff in real life, however boring I am. You are all poseurs prancing, to me.

Oh, but wait, I'm boring.

Why on earth would you just dump on me?Just as I was posting, I saw my last post as zeroed.

Whatever.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm the one who dealt with this stuff in real life, however boring I am. You are all poseurs prancing, to me.

Why on earth would you just dump on me?Just as I was posting, I saw my post as zeroed.

Whatever.

Haha, as a software developer that makes his living off of intellectual property, I think you're basically full of it. I'm sure I have more to lose than any of you from piracy but I think there are more important things than protecting my bottom line, i.e. individual liberty. I would rather have my business drop to nothing and be forced to find a different line of work than be part of the currently corrupt system. Luckily, I have found other ways to keep my business afloat without threatening people with the law.

Not that it should matter. We all have equally valid opinions.
parados

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:45 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Wrong. They were paid for the ORIGINAL work or PERFORMANCES of their work. They were never paid for COPIES which is what I'm arguing against.

Really? So that is your argument? Vivaldi and Bach weren't paid for copies of their work? How do you think people GOT copies of the work back then?

I'll give you a hint, they didn't download it. They BOUGHT sheet music which required the composer's consent.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
What is the deal? I'm not all that legal smart. I'm interested in how things go, and have been, since I read Variety & the Reporter back in the fifties when I was a teen.

How is it I'm somehow horrible, and, even worse, boring? Cameron was in our building for quite a while, and so what.

Instead of Let Me Entertain You, I'll do a If I bore you, check the truck for Mariscos, always a psychologic plus.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
They BOUGHT sheet music which required the composer's consent.

Do you have any credible sources to back up this ridiculous claim?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:52 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Haha, as a software developer that makes his living off of intellectual property, I think you're basically full of it. I'm sure I have more to lose than any of you from piracy but I think there are more important things than protecting my bottom line, i.e. individual liberty.

Don't assume you are the only software developer in the discussion, much less that you are the one with the most to lose from piracy.

Quote:
I would rather have my business drop to nothing and be forced to find a different line of work than be part of the currently corrupt system. Luckily, I have found other ways to keep my business afloat without threatening people with the law.

Out of purely technical curiosity can you expound on those other ways? Is all your code open-source? I like open-source a lot but don't feel compelled to open source all my code (though I'm going to be working on some big open source projects soon, we are going to release the php framework we use on our sites like a2k).

Quote:

I hate the increasingly common notion that all opinions are created equal. They may all have equal rights to be expressed but they certainly aren't all equally valid.
parados

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:57 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the industry and everything to do with the law. If I am an indie artist and you infringe on my copyrights, I can have you locked in the same rape dungeons as the RIAA. You should read more than the first sentence of a post before responding.

Speaking of logical fallacies Night Ripper....
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Don't assume you are the only software developer in the discussion, much less that you are the one with the most to lose from piracy.

I read your profile and know what your profession is but I seriously doubt you make as much as I do.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Out of purely technical curiosity can you expound on those other ways? Is all your code open-source?

I make it more attractive to pay for my software than to get it for free. If you download my software for free then you have to worry about cracking it yourself or hoping that the crack you downloaded didn't include a trojan horse.

Most people find my software useful and reasonably priced so they are willing to buy it rather than risk getting infected or jumping through hoops looking for a crack every time a new version comes out.

Of course, all of this could fail and I would simply walk away or devote less time to it in proportion to how much less I am making off of it.
parados

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:06 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

parados wrote:

Do you think they just downloaded it?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I read your profile and know what your profession is but I seriously doubt you make as much as I do.

And you also have a humongous penis right? Again, what are you? 16?

Quote:
I make it more attractive to pay for my software than to get it for free. If you download my software for free then you have to worry about cracking it yourself or hoping that the crack you downloaded didn't include a trojan horse.

Why do they have to crack it? Why don't you give it away for free? Sincere question, why don't you give it to them and let them choose whether or not they should pay, just like you are advocating that others do with their intellectual property (or lock it up in a basement).

Quote:
Most people find my software useful and reasonably priced so they are willing to buy it rather than risk getting infected or jumping through hoops looking for a crack every time a new version comes out.

It is odd that you support this kind of measure to protect your own intellectual property while arguing against the very validity of intellectual property. Well not odd (it's decidedly human), more like hypocritical and logically inconsistent.

Quote:
Of course, all of this could fail and I would simply walk away or devote less time to it in proportion to how much less I am making off of it.

Alternately you can just recognize the intellectual property rights you already do for yourself for others as well and choose what of your work you charge for and what of your work you give away. That is what I do.

Some of my work I give away, some is mine to keep.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:16 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

parados wrote:

Do you think they just downloaded it?

No, of course not. The rediculous part of your claim is the part about requiring the composer's consent to make a copy of sheet music. Perhaps you meant the original score? In that case, yes it did require at least 1 person to have consent to copy it, otherwise it would be theft of the paper it was written on. However, once one person had a copy, he was free to give it to whomever he liked or to make as many duplicates as he liked.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Why do they have to crack it? Why don't you give it away for free? Sincere question, why don't you give it to them and let them choose whether or not they should pay, just like you are advocating that others do with their intellectual property (or lock it up in a basement).

You have some kind of misfire in your logic. When I write a program, I can put whatever the hell I want into it. I don't know where you got the idea that I believed otherwise. People are welcome to try and crack it and I won't kick their doors down and demand payment. That's all I'm advocating here.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:43 pm
I really don't understand. What did I say that was all so bad?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:51 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Why on earth would you just dump on me?Just as I was posting, I saw my post as zeroed.

Whatever.

Haha, as a software developer that makes his living off of intellectual property, I think you're basically full of it. I'm sure I have more to lose than any of you from piracy but I think there are more important things than protecting my bottom line, i.e. individual liberty. I would rather have my business drop to nothing and be forced to find a different line of work than be part of the currently corrupt system. Luckily, I have found other ways to keep my business afloat without threatening people with the law.

Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:57 pm
Knight Ripper---

I'm not interested in interfering with your ego, and with your apparent desire to parade it around in this thread. So instead of arguing with you directly, let me just point you to a text by an author who shares your outlook on property, almost shares your perspective on the state, and uses this intellectual framework to make a case for intellectual property rights based on this view. The source is Ayn Rand: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. Chapter 11: Patents and Copyrights. Enjoy!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Full of it? I've seen ideas stolen and run with. I can understand that ideas aren't copyrightable... and agree they shouldn't be.

I have many faults, easily certifiable on a2k, but I don't lie, or at least I never mean to.

0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:03 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Knight Ripper---

I'm not interested in interfering with your ego, and with your apparent desire to parade it around in this thread. So instead of arguing with you directly, let me just point you to a text by an author who shares your outlook on property, almost shares your perspective on the state, and uses this intellectual framework to make a case for intellectual property rights based on this view. The source is Ayn Rand: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. Chapter 11: Patents and Copyrights. Enjoy!

Thanks for the veiled insults. They are always a welcome sign that I've hit a nerve.

I'll read that if you promise to read "Against Intellectual Property" @ http://mises.org/journals/jls/15_2/15_2_1.pdf and tell me what you think. Deal? As a bonus, my source directly refutes Rand's argument. She argues that producing is what matters but I've already provided a counterargument that producing a sword from a stolen block of metal no more makes that sword yours than producing anything else makes it yours. Property must be claimed or bartered for.