BumbleBeeBoogie's strange questions

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
If you dug a hole through the center of the earth,and jumped in, would you stay at the center because of gravity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,697 • Replies: 47

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
How far east can you go before you're heading west?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If, in a baseball game, the batter hits a ball splitting it right down the center with half the ball flying out of the park and the other half being caught, what is the final ruling?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:19 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If girls with large breasts work at Hooters, then do girls with one leg work at IHOP?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:22 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If ghosts can walk through walls and glide down stairs, why don't they fall through the floor?
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:14 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
i understand you'd be " deep-fried " very quickly - molten lava and all that jazz
" down there " .
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:51 am
@hamburgboy,
The center of the earth seems to be similar to the uncontrolled oil in the gulf.

BBB
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:55 am

As far as you want to go, you'll always be headed East.
Unless you are out in the middle of the Universe, then at some point in time, you will reach the edge and be headed back in the same direction.

Joe(How far is up, how fast is down?)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
How far east can you go before you're heading east?

The Allston/Brighton tolls
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
If you dug a hole through the center of the earth,and jumped in, would you stay at the center because of gravity?

No, because your momentum would take you right through the center and out into the other half of the tunnel. You would only stop once you reach the surface in the South Pacific or whatever, and fall back in to the hole again. In other words, gravity would work just like a spring, and you would act just like any other piece of mass attached to a string.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@George,
George is kidding us but he is clever:

The toll hike plan that passed 4 to 1 Tuesday, forged amid months of protests and public deliberations, comes in two steps. The first increase takes effect March 29, bringing cash tolls to $1.50 at the Allston-Brighton and Weston tolls and to $5.50 at the Ted Williams and Sumner tunnels.

That's an increase of 25 cents at the turnpike booths inside Route 128 and $2 at the tunnels. Fast Lane users will continue to get a discount.

The second hike takes effect July 1, bringing cash tolls to $2 at the booths inside Route 128 and $7 at the tunnels.

"Bad idea," said Jim Boyle, a Beverly resident who works in Boston. "Make one plan. That's why things don't seem to get done the way they should in this state."

Board members said both rounds of toll increases can be averted if the Legislature increases the gas tax before they take effect. If the Legislature raises the gas tax after tolls go up, the toll increases will be rolled back, they promised.

"There's no confusion," said James A. Aloisi Jr., state transportation secretary and chairman of the turnpike board. "We've been very clear that we need to do this or we face financial disaster on the turnpike."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Forever.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:34 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas, would we need a protective hasmat suit to make that journey?

BBB
Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
More like the pressure capsule like the Cocteaus' on steroids. Unlike you like being squeezed to the size of a pea as you pass the center of the Earth.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@Thomas,
we better keep an eye on BBB - she likely wants to zoom back and forth through that hole .
perhaps charging a toll would keep her in check .
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

My guess would be that you would be "suspended" in the centre as the spherical wall around you around you would be exerting the same amount of gravity in all directions.

Although, I should say, Thomas' comments earlier are correct if you jumped in the hole from the surface as you would overshoot, then be pulled back and overshoot again etc etc.

However, if you were able to be carefully positioned in a spherical cavity in the centre, then my contention would hold true I think
dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:55 pm
@stevecook172001,
My guess would be you would end up in a covenant controlled community in San Francisco and found guilty of not wearing Birkinstocks in public areas.
stevecook172001

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:22 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

My guess would be you would end up in a covenant controlled community in San Francisco and found guilty of not wearing Birkinstocks in public areas.

he he

I'm wearing a pair of Birkenstock standals right now

Bought off the internet from the USA because I couldn't find anyone who held my size in the UK.

Size 16.

I'm buggered if I know what that equates to in US sizes. I worked it out at the time of purchase in order to know what US size to order, but have forgotten.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

No. If you ignore friction from air resistance, then you would arrive at the other side of the earth and could just step onto the edge of the hole, there. Total travel time would be something like 42 minutes.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mechanics/earthole.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
http://able2know.org/topic/145670-1#post-4009419
0 Replies