I don't understand how gravity works

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 10:57 am
while I get it that modern physics describes gravitation using the general theory of relativity, in which gravitation is a consequence of the curvature of spacetime which governs the motion of inertial objects. the thing is I still don't understand how gravity works. I am confident that the above average IQ members here and explain to me and other trailer trash just how gravity works.
thanks in advance for you explanations;
Gabby Hayes, the king of trailer trash.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:07 am
@dyslexia,
Gravity works because of fairies. The heavier something is, the more fairies it has, and they're all wanting to get together with all the other fairies and fornicate like mad, well, fairies.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:12 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Gravity works because of fairies. The heavier something is, the more fairies it has, and they're all wanting to get together with all the other fairies and fornicate like mad, well, fairies.
well then the photons that light up faries bums, do they have mass in their ass making them subject to gravity?
Francis

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:16 am
@dyslexia,
In order to wear an air of gravity, one needs to have well drawn down eyebrows, slightly affirmed, and a verisimilitude that's well calculated to mislead a reader not previously aware of the deception.

That's how gravity works...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:23 am
i thought gravity was how we got apples out of trees
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:25 am
@djjd62,
that's using your head...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:29 am
@dyslexia,
You should see the junk in those trunks.

http://img1.jurko.net/6129.gif
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 11:39 am
just think of a magnet
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
si , it's not just us trailer trash that can't explain gravity, none of you wooden dick-heads have a clue. so much for understanding politics or religion. I'm left with the question of why can't a make jello with fresh pineapple. Possibly BBB/Okie/Ican or Finn will cut and paste me an answer to that.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 12:44 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
No, you cannot make Jell-O (or any gelatin based dessert) with fresh pineapple. This is due to the presence of an enzyme called bromelain in the pineapple. This enzyme is a protease, which digests (or breaks down) the collagen based gelatin protein. The digested gelatin cannot solidify and you end up with a soup instead of a gel.

Cooked or canned pineapple can be used in gelatin desserts, because the heat used in canning and cooking destroys the bromelain.
Eva

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:11 pm
Gravity isn't easy but it's the law.

(I tried to look it up for you, but this quote is all I could find.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
@Ticomaya,
oh groovy, now we can add ticomaya to our list of skilled google-masters/wikkisters to our able2know cohort.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 01:42 pm
A situation of extreme gravity exists when Jello fails. I eat that stuff all the time. My recipe: Cherry Jello, with suspended grapes and Wheat Chex. Fresh grapes and Chex only.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:05 pm
@dyslexia,
We're still trying to work out basic vector forces on the "I don't understand how this vehicle works" thread. I don't think we're ready for General Relativity yet Wink
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:06 pm
@dyslexia,
It's most likely an electrostatic dipole effect of some sort. There are BIG problems with Einstein's attempt to describe it as some sort of a four-dimensional differential geometry thing.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
It's most likely an electrostatic dipole effect of some sort. There are BIG problems with Einstein's attempt to describe it as some sort of a four-dimensional differential geometry thing.

I love it when you talk about gravity and Einstein. Let's hear more.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:15 pm
http://media.theonion.com/images/articles/article/1778/Evangelical-Scientists-C_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

Quote:
Scientists from the Evangelical Center For Faith-Based Reasoning are now asserting that the long-held "theory of gravity" is flawed, and they have responded to it with a new theory of Intelligent Falling.

"Things fall not because they are acted upon by some gravitational force, but because a higher intelligence, 'God' if you will, is pushing them down," said Gabriel Burdett, who holds degrees in education, applied Scripture, and physics from Oral Roberts University.

Burdett added: "Gravity"which is taught to our children as a law"is founded on great gaps in understanding. The laws predict the mutual force between all bodies of mass, but they cannot explain that force. Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power." ...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/evangelical-scientists-refute-gravity-with-new-int,1778/

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:18 pm
@ebrown p,
That was classic Onion. I love it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:36 pm
I may be a simple man. And I may not know much. But I do know that if we allow the gays to marry, our children will need to wear cement shoes in order to walk to school without ascending into outer space.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
Sigh. Ok. Here's how gravity works. You hold something up in the air. You let go. It falls down. That's how gravity works.

0 Replies