War in doubt, Millions of Americans might die as a result

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:00 pm
Now that Hawkeye had gotten us off topic once more does anyone know in their own life either a friend or a family member or a neighbor or a co-worker that was a life long non-smokers who die of lung cancer and once more lung cancer and not some other condition that cause harm to the lungs.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Lung cancer is not a major problem in my scheme of things, thus smoking is not a major risk. I feel great about lighting up my occasional cigar.

Well to the degree you are smoking you are increasing your risk of dying as your mother did and if you wish to do so that fine with me. You need to weight the risk/benefit of your drug habit not me.

Next as almost all smokers begin as minors and not adults it is surely the business of the society to protect children from getting hook on a lifetime harmful habit if possible.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:12 pm
@BillRM,

Quote:
Next as almost all smokers begin as minors and not adults it is surely the business of the society to protect children from getting hook on a lifetime harmful habit if possible.
I am fully with David on that score, when Government tries to protect people from themselves it has usurped its authority, and it must then be dealt with. This can not be allowed to stand.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I
Quote:
am fully with David on that score, when Government tries to protect people from themselves it has usurped its authority, and it must then be dealt with. This can not be allowed to stand.

So the labor laws that forbid a minor from taking on dangerous jobs such as a cool minor for example should not be allow to stand?

A 12 year old should not be protected from being talk into having sex with a 40 years old either?

Oh and we should allow anyone who can reach the gas pedal of a car to have a driver license also.

No protection for children of any kind is that your stand Hawkeye?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Second hand smoke is injurious to the people in the vicinity of the smoker, The government can, and should, try to protect people from public health hazards.

The government does not allow cigarettes to be sold to minors. It should also do everything possible to discourage minors (and everyone else) from smoking. Mounting anti-smoking campaigns is a sensible public health effort. Helping people to quit smoking is also a worthwhile government effort.

Those who want to smoke can still do so. Let them do it in areas where they don't pollute the air for everyone else around them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:32 am
Quote:

Smoking and Death in the United States
The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly 1 of every 5 deaths, each year in the United States.More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.
--------------------------------------------------------

Each day in the United States, approximately 3,900 young people between 12 and 17 years of age smoke their first cigarette, and an estimated 1,000 youth become daily cigarette smokers.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/#disparities

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:46 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Now that Hawkeye had gotten us off topic once more does anyone know in their own life either a friend or a family member or a neighbor or a co-worker that was a life long non-smokers who die of lung cancer and once more lung cancer and not some other condition that cause harm to the lungs.

Yes - two as a matter of fact.
JTT

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am fully with David on that score, when Government tries to protect people from themselves it has usurped its authority, and it must then be dealt with. This can not be allowed to stand.

You are so full of ****, Hawkeye. The US government protects people from all manner of harm and this tobacco thing isn't any different except for the fact that the government finds it exceedingly difficut to wean itself from the huge tax gains it gets.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 03:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Yes - two as a matter of fact.

Interesting not one but two.

Did they live in a household with a heavy smoker or did they work around asbestos or have family members working with asbestos?

Coal miners by any chance?
0 Replies

Devaughn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 04:35 am
smoking can do nothing good to your life Smile my advice quit smoking or dont start if you are not a smoker yet.
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Long as it's the millions who vote Republican I don't see the problem. Smile
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 07:32 am
@Devaughn,
Makes you look cool though. Smile

How long we live is a functio of our genes. Life style factors are next to neglible. Pleanty of people who lives well beyond 100 smoke, drink, eat crap, and don't exercise. Just like pelanty who do exercise, eat organic or vegan, and maintain low-stree die from a popped anneuryism on their morning jogs.

"Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you wont live one instant longer. Our fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." - "The 13th Warrior"
0 Replies