Anderson Cooper on the Gulf Oil Spill

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:32 pm
For the first time Friday, the Coast Guard and BP acknowledged that a mysterious second pipe, wedged next to the drill pipe in what remains of the Deepwater Horizon's riser, is fouling up the works where the well is spewing hundreds of millions of gallons of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

"We used a diamond saw and we got inside. We found there was actually two sets of drill pipe there," said retired Adm. Thad Allen, the top U.S. Coast Guard official overseeing the response to America's worst-ever oil spill.

roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Certainly reassuring to know that the people charged with fixing the leak are staying johnny-on-the-spot with knowing what's in the wellbore they created themselves.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Certainly reassuring to know that the people charged with fixing the leak are staying johnny-on-the-spot with knowing what's in the wellbore they created themselves.

Those were my thoughts exactly, as I approached the computer just now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 08:28 pm
THe cap is in place. Now the testing begins.
JPB

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Or not...

Quote:
An unstable area around the wellbore could create bigger problems if the leak continued elsewhere in the well after the cap valves were shut, experts said.

"It's an incredibly big concern," said Don Van Nieuwenhuise, director of Professional Geoscience Programs at the University of Houston. "They need to get a scan of where things are, that way when they do pressure testing, they know to look out for ruptures or changes."

Also...

Quote:
As attempts to stop the leak continued, scientists reported early signs that the spill was altering the marine food web by killing or tainting some creatures and spurring the growth of others more suited to a fouled environment.

Near the spill site, researchers have documented a massive die-off of pyrosomes — cucumber-shaped, gelatinous organisms fed on by endangered sea turtles.
Along the coast, droplets of oil are being found inside the shells of young crabs that are a mainstay in the diet of fish, turtles and shorebirds.

And at the base of the food web, tiny organisms that consume oil and gas are proliferating.

If such impacts continue, the scientists warn of a grim reshuffling of sealife that could over time cascade through the ecosystem and imperil the region's multibillion-dollar fishing industry.
Source
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
If the fishing industry ever returns at all, I will be surprised.
Yet, the impetus is to drill on.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:59 am
@edgarblythe,
I know... I've truly never seen anything like this debacle. It's disheartening and scary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:15 pm
I am very cynical about any good faith gestures by big oil these days. Farmerman said on another thread he thinks they could have stopped the flow long ago, but for selfish reasons waited until they relief wells are almost ready.
snood

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am very cynical about any good faith gestures by big oil these days. Farmerman said on another thread he thinks they could have stopped the flow long ago, but for selfish reasons waited until they relief wells are almost ready.

I don't doubt that a bit. I don't think one can overstate the influence of raw greed in all this destruction.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:29 am
@edgarblythe,
They are going to be a long while waiting to make up for expenses incurred, not to mention lost oil.

It's pretty clear that cutting every corner was a part of BP strategy, but the same greed would have had them shutting in the well as soon as possible.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 05:36 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I don't think one can overstate the influence of raw greed in all this destruction.

word
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That's quite a claim.

Can't imagine how any "selfish reason" could generate enough profit to offset what BP is going to have to pay and the damage done to their stock pric

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
farmerman gives his reasoning on the other thread. I just mentioned it to see what others might say.
0 Replies