• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,463 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 01:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Big mess.
Huge mess.

I just hope they (CNN) keeps pressing them.

Joe(Meanwhile, while I was looking at the video and typing this another 5,000 gallons entered the Gulf.)Nation
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 03:14 pm
It is now illegal to film or to come within 65 feet of a boom, oil clean up workers, or affected wildlife. Trespassing is punishable by a $40,000 fine, and is a class D felony.

Quote:
Billy Nungesser, president of Louisiana's hard-hit Plaquemines Parish, said BP and the Coast Guard provided a map of the exact locations of 140 skimmers that were supposedly cleaning up the oil. But he said that after he repeatedly asked to be flown over the area so he could see them at work, officials told him only 31 skimmers were on the job.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 04:57 pm
I saw that story earlier today. It is what prompted this thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:21 pm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:19 am
Cooper keeps saying "We are not the enemy here?"

Who is?

With all the negative publicity surrounding this disaster, it's understandable that both BP and the Obama Administration don't want more.

BP tells their employees not to speak with the news media.

The Obama Administration uses the National Guard, and the threat of hefty fines and felony convictions to keep the news media from being able to show what is going on in the Gulf.

I've little doubt that if BP could use soldiers and threats of fines and jail time they would and we would expect our government to stop them...but BP can't use Guardsmen and strong arm tactics.

The Obama Administration can and is, and who can we expect to stop them?

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency." Barrack Obama

Yeah right.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 01:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
My thread "the collapse of american journalism" has already been buried by a2k popularity sifting, but is relevant to this thread. Why is it that months after this disaster started Cooper is making noise as the only one pointing out how Government and the corporate class are colluding to make sure the American people don't know what is going on? When did American Journalists so forsake their profession?

http://able2know.org/topic/158056-1
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 03:08 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
My thread "the collapse of american journalism" has already been buried by a2k popularity sifting, but is relevant to this thread.

You didn't post it to any forums, if you don't use any tags it's much less likely to be found and it's not being "sifted" for lacking popularity, like you so baselessly claim, but because it's not posted to any particular forums. If you want people to find your topics you should post them to appropriate categories (an easy way is to just pick the most appropriate one on home page if you can't figure a better system out).
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
it's not being "sifted" for lacking popularity, like you so baselessly claim, but because it's not posted to any particular forums.
I put a tag on it, and it still is filtered out of "new posts"......so much for that story....

I was actually talking about the churn and burn of a2k now, if a thread does not catch on fast it drops out of view fast, on both the "new post" button and "popular" button. Sure, it could eventually get found by someone looking for a tag or someone looking for stuff that I personally post, and have another chance at a life. But for the most part new threads now have hours to attract attention, not days like they used to.

I am going to start watching how many hits these non responded to threads get, they used to get 30-50 with a couple of bot hits (it appeared) and now they get 20 bot hits. This thread in question has 37 hits, 20 of them bots and prob 3 me, so it has been seen by about 15 people so far . A far cry from the old days, but it is a holiday so we will see how this works over the long haul.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:13 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I put a tag on it, and it still is filtered out of "new posts"......so much for that story....

That is unread sorting at action (and you can now turn that off too), and these are "stories" they are programming commands that just aren't nearly as obsessed with popularity as you are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:15 am
The first new thread I started recently got 'lost' for a time. Fortunately, I realized it had to be tagged. I think, the more relevant the tag, the more likely it is to be 'out there.'
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
My thread "the collapse of american journalism" has already been buried by a2k popularity sifting, but is relevant to this thread.

You didn't post it to any forums, if you don't use any tags it's much less likely to be found and it's not being "sifted" for lacking popularity, like you so baselessly claim, but because it's not posted to any particular forums. If you want people to find your topics you should post them to appropriate categories (an easy way is to just pick the most appropriate one on home page if you can't figure a better system out).

Do you have a program that searches all threads for any criticism of this forum?

It's uncanny how often you quickly arrive to respond to a knock on A2K.
jawfly

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:38 am
WHERE IS THE US NAVY?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:41 am
@jawfly,
On their boats.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:37 am
@jawfly,
I hear this plea elsewhere too.

I honestly don't know what people think the Navy could (would) accomplish that isn't already being done. This is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Unfortunately, sending in the Navy isn't a real solution. It would, however, cost a tremendous amount of money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:25 pm
I think they are very close to stopping the leak. At least I hope so. The mammoth job of cleaning the gulf and shoreline looms as a gigantic kick in the ass to us as a society for allowing these people to set us up for disaster, not just in this instance, but again and again. I don't want unsafe drilling out there, ever again.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I doubt we're ever going to have drilling without the possibility of blowouts and leaks. Still, I don't think it's too much to ask that the operating and service companies have the knowledge and means to fix the problem.

They're surely learning from the present experience, but talk about a steep and expensive learning curve.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 07:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Do you have a program that searches all threads for any criticism of this forum?

No, it's not like it's hard to find.

Quote:
It's uncanny how often you quickly arrive to respond to a knock on A2K.

They usually come when I change something about a2k, which usually means I'm working on a2k, which usually means I'm likely to be monitoring the forums for feedback. I find that more like "no brainer" an less like "uncanny".

I'm not just looking for "knocks" (though I can always expect those from hawkeye, who will tie any site dissatisfaction he runs into into his own crusade), I'm looking for a lot of different things like bug reports and even positive feedback.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
According to what I have read, we should know tomorrow if they can shut the spill off.

Of course we've seen such expectations dashed more than once already.

Wouldn't you agree though that the "gigantic kick in the ass" which you hope will significantly change behavior be more effective if we get to see the extent of the mess that has been caused?

I can understand why BP would want to keep images of massive pollution from the public, but not the government (and it is the government, not BP, that is using Guardsmen and the threat of heavy fines to keep us blind to the mess)...unless the government thinks the images are politically damaging in some way.

Why would that be though? It was all BP's fault, the government has been doing all it can from day one, and transparency is a cornerstone of this administration.

The relative paucity of outrage over this news blackout is amazing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:13 pm
The government has bought into the notion of controling how we react by controling the flow of information. A trick they picked up after the Vietnam War was over and during response situations involving hurricanes. I don't know why they think we have to be controlled this way, except, perhaps, by controlling what we know they may be able to limit the amount of money and resources that get spent. The reporters shaped public opinion during that war. My reference to hurricanes is to the way they set up FEMA and what-all and promise to help people out. But, mostly, they let the action and promises fade with time.
0 Replies