Brits: How do I pronounce words like "letter"/"better"

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:57 am
How is your friend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:28 am
I thought Solskjær was in England.

As for the language tree, it's blatantly wrong.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:37 am
What what ho! im a jolly brit! canst thou not tell my my frightful englishness? i say i say.
erk.. one must desist the incessant rambling on this website.. traaa
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:43 am
annifa, as long as you ramble with content, you will be loved. However, if you feel the need to ramble without content, feel free to visit one of that smoking bunny's (dlowan) diversion threads. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:43 am
Psst....I don't wanna admit it, but they are fun.
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:13 pm
annifa wrote:
What what ho! im a jolly brit! canst thou not tell my my frightful englishness? i say i say.
erk.. one must desist the incessant rambling on this website.. traaa

Lo and behold! Indeed, thou art British! Jolly good! Innit.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:16 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Psst....I don't wanna admit it, but they are fun.

Hah! Twisted Evil Gunna tell!!!!!!!!!!! Razz
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 08:14 am
Hey Margo, is your cat sitting on our rugby ball?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 10:16 am
[size=7]eaten it i think[/size]
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Thanks viv, I thought you said it stuffed it up its ass, but magnification was clarification.

Are they going to give it back?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:22 pm
Viv may be right - Possum-cat's a good size! But absolutely never vulgar!

OK - so you got that once (for the first time!). Hanging on to it is the tricky bit!

But, in the last 12 months, we've walloped you in cricket, rugby league, tennis, (and picked up Davis Cup in final last weekend!) darts, and even soccer - which is the 4th football code here. Considering the population of Oz only hit 20 million this week, we're not doing too badly!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:33 pm
Oh no.. didst thou not know that to criticize or to debase the name of Margo's cat resulteth in Capital punishment?

Really; insulting such an institution is treasonable.

For England's sake, don't carry on gloating..
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

For England's sake, don't carry on gloating..

oh the English are generally far too well mannered to gloat - we leave that to the Australians! :wink:

Possum is gorgeous but ..... suspiciously rugby ball shaped??????
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:33 pm
Vivien wrote:

oh the English are generally far too well mannered to gloat! :wink:

Possum is gorgeous but ..... suspiciously rugby ball shaped??????

Vivien, my friend, had you been in Sydney the last 2 weeks, you would know that this is not so....So many pasty-looking men, with substantial paunches, wearing the white of England (virginal - crap!!!!), gloating as much as possible. We're a pretty good-natured lot, but thank heavens they've gone home now! Mind you - we still have their bloody rainy weather! Mad

Yes - the Poss is gorgeous, and, surprisingly, not fat. He's just a loooong cat - over a metre long when he stretches out, and quite stocky with it. I've never had such a big cat before. As a kitten, he had big eyes, ears and feet. He's surely grown into them Confused
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:52 am
In American english, anyway, double t's are pronounced as a flap (like a spanish r) rather than as a t. Is that different in British English?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:41 am
Yes it is. British standard English pronounces them as t, but in the fashionable "estuary accent" (a sort of debased cockney) they are pronounced as glottal stops.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:35 am
The point is Margo that we so rarely have a genuine 24 carat gold gloating opportunity, that we go into overgloat...a bit. And possum is a very nice cat, and not rugby ball shaped or anything, so please apologise to her from me. Very Happy

And please note changed signature line...there almost back to being normal English... Sad
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:48 am
Hey Steve, the euphoria has worn off has it? Like your signature line! :^) Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:40 am
(Not really, just felt I'd been a bit harsh on Margo, especially Margo's cat, sort of trying to make amends)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 01:50 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
The point is Margo that we so rarely have a genuine 24 carat gold gloating opportunity, that we go into overgloat...a bit. And possum is a very nice cat, and not rugby ball shaped or anything, so please apologise to her from me. Very Happy

And please note changed signature line...there almost back to being normal English... Sad

Steve - Laughing Laughing wonderful to have a good belly laugh, before breakfast, on a cold and rainy Saturday morning! As I said on another thread - you took our cup and left your bloody awful weather! We've been in drought for 3 years, and....it's rained almost ever since 22 November Confused Still bloody dry in the country, though, and still water restrictions.

Poss is pretty good natured, too!

Sorry, Rufio!
0 Replies