Why Have Americans Forgotten Their British Roots?

xris

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:26 pm
@spendius,
What got me, he did not even know how to spell the place where his father came from and then tried to tell me my history.. o my o my..
Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:30 pm
@mark noble,
If there's been any testiness or forgetfulness, it's minor. In the last 100 yrs, I see nothing but friendliness and alliance.

However, these reasons COULD be an explanation:

Firstly, many of us have no British roots whatsoever. In fact, within my circle friends and relatives, not a single one could trace their roots to UK.

Secondly, because Americans are aware of history as the 13 original Colonies had to overthrow the heavy-handed British colonial power with 2 wars.

Our respective governments have shown strong loyalty and strong alliance for the last 100 yrs. Throughout the period of time this very close alliance in WW I, WW II and many/most of the international conflicts. This bonding has been tested repeatedly and shown to be one of the strongest bonds in history.

Wasn't the whole US involvement in WWII proof positive of the undying support between US and UK?

Then withing TV programming there's the love affair with British humor and British programs. For example nightly BBC on cable, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers , Mr. Bean, Benny Hill (yuck) and a sea of other shows (Upstairs Downstairs), etc.

Forgotten? Where is it forgotten?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:37 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
What got me, he did not even know how to spell the place where his father came from
and then tried to tell me my history.. o my o my..
In your CORRECTION, u spelled it the same way,
and NOW, u complain about it.

My father did not come from there.

David
spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:38 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Wasn't the whole US involvement in WWII proof positive of the undying support between US and UK?

There are other theories. We nearly died--you got supported--type of thing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:41 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

There are other theories. We nearly died--you got supported--type of thing.
Maybe u shoud have stopped Hitler SOONER.

Any chance of that?

Discuss it with Neville Chamberlain.

David
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ok your grand daddy..you did spell it wrong. A Devon shire is a horse , a big horse. Devonshire is a county its Devon, a shire county called Devonshire. Yorkshire, Monmouthshire..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Ok your grand daddy..you did spell it wrong.
Again: in your CORRECTION,
u spelled it the same way that I did.

U just jabbed in an mt space; no difference in spelling.
xris

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 01:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
O my can you not understand it even now? I give up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:01 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
O my can you not understand it even now? I give up.
I understand that u just put in a space
and left the spelling the same and then accused me of misspelling.

David
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:04 pm
@xris,
Quote:
Thankfully we have learnt to be pragmatic in our politics , we have avoided the extremes expressed by certain capitalists and the horrors of revolutionary communism.

I'm very impressed by what I see the British government and its citizens obviously committed to and striving to do for all citizens- and even residents.

I think America could take a couple of lessons.

aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Rebecca-you could write a nice essay about man trying to imitate nature using his brains because his physique is so hopeless. Cartoonists use Tiger chases man to point it up.

I'm not writing much these day - nice or otherwise...but I bet you could do it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Here's a recipe, with photo, for something that sounds very similar...

not a recipe I'd dare try myself..

http://cakewoking.blogspot.com/2007/10/banana-toffee-pie.html
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 02:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
D o y ouu nd ersta nd i t ain t Eng lish to say Devon Shire...A devon shire is fricking horse, is that where your grandad came from an orse?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I'm very impressed by what I see the British government and its citizens obviously committed to and striving to do for all citizens- and even residents.

Just today the PM made a big speech about us governing ourselves. He didn't say we would have to because the government had lost the plot and had no idea how to proceed with its strivings but I can't think of any other reason for a government to go in for some gradual abdication. It has shown no sign of doing such a thing before and neither has any other government I've heard of.

Still-- being in a coalition with bloody Liberal Democrats must be confusing. The Labour Party wouldn't entertain such a thing but Mr Cameron did so much want to be Prime Minister. I enjoyed how Mr Brown retired to his quiet cloisters with the electorate taking all the blame.

There's a referendum coming up on what is known as the alternative vote system which sounds simple if you say it quick. Like some use words such as "evolution" and "quantum mechanics". Casually with a knowing mien.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 03:37 pm
@spendius,
Why did I get a zero for saying I'm not writing these days? Or do you think it's because I said I thought you could?

Quote:
Still-- being in a coalition with bloody Liberal Democrats must be confusing. The Labour Party wouldn't entertain such a thing but Mr Cameron did so much want to be Prime Minister. I enjoyed how Mr Brown retired to his quiet cloisters with the electorate taking all the blame.

I haven't the foggiest - I can't vote - I'm trusting you guys to do the right thing - although I have to say - I was sad to see Gordon Brown go - I thought he seemed a man of integrity. But what do I know?

spendius

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 05:09 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Why did I get a zero for saying I'm not writing these days? Or do you think it's because I said I thought you could?

Oh no Rebecca. I was merely offering you an opportunity to strut your stuff before and international audience on a subject well worth a writer exercising their creative talents upon.

The massive survey a few years ago, five maybe, showed that the most advanced society in the world was the closest to being "on the job" as efficiently as monkeys have achieved.
aidan

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 05:15 pm
@spendius,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I'll refrain and let some pictures paint a thousand words - these guys are working at least as efficiently as monkees- and the Dubliners are too - if you ask me anyway:

*click on it and watch it full screen - the people who made the video did a better job than monkeys would have too.
0 Replies