Two Sides of the Family--One Building

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
Just received this message from an older cousin (ground floor, mother's nephew). It's his birthday today. He has no idea about this thread, but I guess we all get nostalgic once in a while. He wrote:

"I still think about punchball in ps 90 schoolyard."

The schoolyard was the boy's domain. No girls allowed. I played punchball in the street.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:48 am
So I was on the phone with a friend and was reminded of an incident from my childhood that made me smile.

I mentioned that my father was a good singer. My mother was a jazz pianist who also sang quite well. I was a good kid singer. We all liked to sing.

One night after supper we were sitting around the table, and we started singing. Just for fun. My father was able to harmonize a bit. We were singing for a while. We finished a song and to our surprise we got applause and cheering--our neighbors in the courtyard were hanging out the windows listening to us.

We went over to the window and looked out. I remember seeing heads poking out of windows.

I love this memory.

Neighborhood. Sense of community. Sense of family.
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:53 am
@Roberta,
Smile

Do you remember what you were singing, Roberta?
Roberta

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:38 am
@msolga,
A bunch of different songs.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:43 am
Hi gang, There's been a slight delay in the picture posting. Maybe next week. Sorry.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:57 am
My aunt had a friend down the street with a number on her arm.

This was the aunt that hated Japs.

What can I say?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:11 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
Hi gang, There's been a slight delay in the picture posting. Maybe next week. Sorry.

Roberta is very discreet about it, but this is entirely my fault. After the gym, I took what I thought was a nap, which then turned out to last seven hours. (I forgot to set the alarm.) When I woke up, I had a message from a worried Roberta in my inbox, asking if I'd show up. Mea culpa!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 03:46 am
Can't find some of the pictures I thought I had. Maybe I saw them elsewhere. On the other hand, I found a few that I didn't know I had. My father and friends at Coney Island in those 2-piece men's bathing suits.

I'll keep looking. I've got time.

Thanks for the mea culpa, Thomas. I was being discreet. You're a good kid, and like I said in my PM, stuff happens.

However, if you don't show up next week, discreet will be flushed down the toilet.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:36 pm
The pictures are starting. My father (on the left) in his teens. I think this is Coney Island.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/Dbathingsuit.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:53 pm
My father on the left. My uncle (his brother) on the right. Their nephew (my cousin--grown by the time I was born). The photo was taken in May 1929. I think my father and uncle were dressed for their vaudeville act.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/DUncleAlandHal.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
I got distracted from this thread and left off following. Now I have lots of reading to catch up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:02 pm
@Roberta,
oh my stars
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:29 pm
My grandmother, my mother (standing), and my eccentric aunt (baby).

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/GrandmaMandAuntB.jpg
sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:33 pm
Pictures, hooray!

I do wonder if we're related at some point in the family tree -- ehBeth remarked on that after she met you and these family photos have some familiar-looking faces!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:36 pm
Familiar to even some of my Italian ancestors.

Roberta, thank you! Do you have dates for any of these?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:36 pm
My mother and father on the Concourse--before they were married.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/MandDonconcourse.jpg
panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:40 pm
@Roberta,
Did your father serve in WWII or was he too old?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:48 pm
On the roof of THE BUILDING, standing from left to right--my father's mother, my aunt's husband, my aunt (father's sister), my mother's mother. Seated--my mother.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/Familyonroof.jpg
sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:49 pm
@Roberta,
Oh my! Maternal grandma looks like a force of nature.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:15 pm
I'll post more over the course of time. Thomas was here helping me. Now I'm on my own--with written instructions.