Online relationships

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:30 pm
Love/Like/Hate etc are human emotions which find their way into all human interactions. When people are together(physically) these emotions become more personable but in online interactions there is nothing like that. Its only what one says to one screen name/email address and the response from that screen name/email address. All these emotions are as real as one wants them to feel, but that does not guarantee their reality(or does it ?)

Hate/Dislike is easy to figure out anywhere. What exactly does love mean in the context of online relationships( assuming the two screen names havent met ). Can one fall in love online and how does one know if it really is love ? How is that different from getting addicted to being online ?

Just thinking of online relationships..and wondering about these issues aloud.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,213 • Replies: 49
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:49 pm
Oy, it's a big can of worms you've opened there, Crashed. I opened a can that looked a lot like yours a while back.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:56 pm
To take a stab at your questions: I think that there are at least a couple components to falling in love. One is purely physical and another is intellectual. Online you get the intellectual side of a person (if that's what they are showing and if they are being themselves), but not the physical. Even if you've seen photos, talked on the phone and viewed video clips - nothing compares to face-to-face communication. I know, I've been there. BUT, as we all (I think ALL of us know this) know, a great intellect can make an otherwise average person seem very attractive.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 11:17 pm
Right-On, littlek:)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:15 am
Welcome to a2k, crash.

One of the things I like most about the internet is the lack of physical cues we all use when meeting someone in person. This means that anyone, whether beautiful or ugly, well built or with a disability, will be known for his/her writing and way of thinking, not for any other reason.

I was attracted to Dyslexia long before I met him at the Albuquerque gathering in late April. We had never corresponded privately, but I liked the way his mind worked and his philosophy about life and people. He told me later, that he was interested in me for the same reasons.

When we met in person, I was floored with emotion. Our minds seemed to mesh and our attraction turned to love.

We are together now because of the internet. We both still comment on how this has changed our lives for the better--in ways that we could never have imagined before meeting.

I do think age makes a big difference. I am sixty and Dys is fifty eight (yeah, I robbed the cradle). We were more aware of what we wanted in a relationship because of having lived through past mistakes.

To me, the internet has changed, permanently, the way people meet and form relationships. Meeting someone who is truly your soul mate would never have happened to us if not for the internet. I certainly never expected it to happen to me! Yes, the chances for abuse are geometrically increased, which is why I would always limit a teenager's access; but for mature adults, it is a way to meet someone's mind before meeting the 'package.' A beautiful mind is far more attractive than a package that only covers what's inside.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:43 am
Handled quite nicely Diane and littlek.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:50 am
Dys and Diane both make quite an impression in person. This one was a natural.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:05 am
:wink:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 05:35 am
I don't think that one can define relationships formed on the internet; it's all very variable, and it depends not only on the people involved but whether the two people in question intend to meet each other eventually. Although the Internet allows for great emotion to be shown, it sometimes doesn't allow for the whole experience that one gets in person...

Nevertheless, I agree with Diane; it allows people to see others without bias towards physical features... and you never know when you might find someone on it perfect for you.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:15 am
I think that HOW you meet people isn't nearly as important as what happens WHEN you meet people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:16 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:08 pm
Just a smile!

It seems so natural to have met
The friends that forums have beget.
Perhaps with Di's and Dys's resolution,
We can start a whole new revolution.

God Bless the Child
Billie Holiday
Them that's got shall get
Them that's not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own

Yes, the strong gets more
While the weak ones fade
Empty pockets don't ever make the grade
That's got his own

Money, you've got lots of friends
Crowding round the door
When you're gone, spending ends
They don't come no more
Rich relations give
Crust of bread and such
You can help yourself
But don't take too much
That's got his own

That's got his own
He just worry 'bout nothin'
Cause he's got his own
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:16 pm
{{{{{{{Roger}}}}}}}

Cav, yes, the actual meeting in person can actually make or break a relationship. I still argue that knowing a 'person' before being distracted by physical cues is a tremendous help in the decision as to whether or not to continue with the relationship.

Letty, love, God bless you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 12:41 am
Diane
I envy you and Dys. You are both wonderful people :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:46 am
Diane and Dys- I am thrilled to pieces! I love love stories and happy endings. sniff Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 06:51 am
Awwwww dys and diane !!!

I met my only bf (now ex) on line as well, and spent the most wonderful one year of my life with him !!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
They never work . . .

Take my word for it . . .
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:54 am
Mine did
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
Montana, Phoenix and Gautam, love and good thoughts to each of you.

Setanta, you old cuddly bear, you more than anyone (with the exception of ehbeth) can speak to the wonderful possibilities of developing an online/long-lasting love.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:57 am
There is, ostensibly, ironic humor in my remark, Guatam . . .
0 Replies