This is more for the science section, so I am gonna slide it on over there

*shimmy*
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 03:28 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;67861 wrote:
As far as "aliens" go... we have evidence that:

Life originates on planets with atmospheres. We can get specific, but that focuses the search down to looking for "us". We're not looking for humans, so don't look for human-friendly environments.

These planets must orbit stars... they are the outside energy needed to make everything work. Earth isn't a "closed" system any more than a pot of water would be. There has to be energy for the process of life to begin and be sustained.

That's what we know from sitting at our PCs. We fall under those categories (we're life, duh Smile ). Here's what we also know...

Planets orbit other stars. Our nine (Pluto is a planet, damnit!) aren't the only ones. EDIT: What is it now... thirteen? Twelve without Puto?

These planets have atmospheres. The Kepler telescope just imaged a planet and its atmosphere. Granted it's some four thousand degrees on that planet, but the important part is that it has an atmosphere and we know it.

These stars provide a wealth of radiant energy. Four thousand degrees of heat doesn't come from nowhere.

Given those facts, it isn't too far of a jump to presume that life can arise on other worlds. Will it look like us? Probably not. Evolutionary biology could take many different avenues given the planet's environment. Example: Flight on Mars. Earth birds couldn't even begin to fly on Mars... outside of lacking oxygen, the atmosphere is far too thin. Don't even think of a conventional airplane at that point. So if a planet with a thin atmosphere were to develop life, flight would develop very differently (if at all) given the environmental pressure. Different stellar classes produce different amounts of radiation and different planets "deal with" this in different ways which also mixes up the environmental pressures a tad.

All in all, given the data that's been coming in, life out there isn't very far fetched at all.

I can't remember what I was watching but it was a show on the discovery channel and it talked about the different possible world's, I only caught the end of it, but one of the worlds they described was an oxygen rich planet with a thick atmosphere in which it may be possible for much much larger animals to attain flight. It would be odd to see whale sized creatures floating about.

There are limitations to what sort of creatures might emerge, but the possibilities are truly staggering.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:52 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67886 wrote:
I can't remember what I was watching but it was a show on the discovery channel and it talked about the different possible world's, I only caught the end of it, but one of the worlds they described was an oxygen rich planet with a thick atmosphere in which it may be possible for much much larger animals to attain flight. It would be odd to see whale sized creatures floating about.

There are limitations to what sort of creatures might emerge, but the possibilities are truly staggering.

Well, the atmosphere on Venus is so thick that anyone who attempted to walk on its surface would feel like they're swimming against a river current. Titan's atmosphere is so thick that you could pull an Icarus and actually have it work. Given a friendler atmosphere, the concept of larger creatures attaining flight doesn't sound far off. In the case of an oxygen atmosphere and creatures adapted to live within it (re: us) more O2 equals more energy for the body, at least up to a point. That would allow for the extra energy that larger creatures need for powered flight.
0 Replies

synthy

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:12 am
@mimidamnit,
Arent we looking in the wrong places, we harbour a full alien universe in us,it is closer than the next galaxy.Does that make us gods or a universe to the alien cell in a cell in a cell?Are we living in a sleeping giant?Many children belief that notion.Then is it not a alien dimension the universe within the universe.
Aliens by definition are unknown,is it the capacity or limitation of dimension that does not let us know.But we feel the urge to search and comunicate outward when it is outwardly within.
If we met a alien life we will not perceive its beeing as we see the light of stars that dont exist anymore.Time is the barrier.When we meet we are gone and vise versa.
But we are not alone.It is a matter of perception and deception.
Does that make any sence? Or is the notion to alienated from our common origin of stardust.
0 Replies

Petey J

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:36 pm
@mimidamnit,
Do aliens exist?

Who has proof?
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:38 am
@Petey J,
Petey J.;68830 wrote:
Do aliens exist?

Who has proof?

We have concrete proof that life can and does exist on a large rock orbiting a star. It happened on one out of one hundred said rocks orbiting this star. To date, we've located about 400 more orbiting other stars. If you take the percentage from your control (this star and its rocks) and apply it to the variables (your other stars and rocks), things start looking good for the whole little green men side of things. They only increase as more exoplanets are found.

Astronauts to the moon... HA HA HA HA HA!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:37 am
@Sabz5150,
I'm sure moss or algae or something of the like exists somewhere else in the universe, can I prove this? No, but it would be an even bigger miracle if earth was the only planet in the whole universe that supported life.
0 Replies

Petey J

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
@mimidamnit,
Jesus was a visitor from another world, was he not?

John 8:23
But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world."

This idea of the divine extraterrastrial may not be so preposterous after all ... :scratchchin:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 06:40 am
@Petey J,
Petey J.;68894 wrote:
Jesus was a visitor from another world, was he not?

John 8:23
But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world."

This idea of the divine extraterrastrial may not be so preposterous after all ... :scratchchin:

I think it's all pretty far-fetched.
0 Replies

Josef cv

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:39 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;68879 wrote:
We have concrete proof that life can and does exist on a large rock orbiting a star. It happened on one out of one hundred said rocks orbiting this star. To date, we've located about 400 more orbiting other stars. If you take the percentage from your control (this star and its rocks) and apply it to the variables (your other stars and rocks), things start looking good for the whole little green men side of things. They only increase as more exoplanets are found.

Astronauts to the moon... HA HA HA HA HA!

OMG! A wanna-be Carl Sagan!

"There are billions and billions of stars out there."
Josef cv

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:41 am
@JBeukema,
JBeukema;67302 wrote:
Can you prove we're not? :whistling:

Can you prove you are?
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:56 pm
@Josef cv,
Josef;69044 wrote:
OMG! A wanna-be Carl Sagan!

"There are billions and billions of stars out there."

That's a new one.

Is that the typical response to being on the wrong side of the math?
Josef cv

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 02:51 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;69071 wrote:
That's a new one.

Is that the typical response to being on the wrong side of the math?

What math is that, Maurice?
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:11 am
@Josef cv,
Josef;69077 wrote:
What math is that, Maurice?

Funny you could pull Carl Sagan out of my post, but none of the actual numbers.

Try again. I'll be here Smile
Josef cv

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 02:05 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;69117 wrote:
Funny you could pull Carl Sagan out of my post, but none of the actual numbers.

Try again. I'll be here Smile

Why don't you be a good little boy and tell Daddy which numbers you are talking about? Daddy may not be as smart as his little boy.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:14 am
@Josef cv,
Josef;69128 wrote:
Why don't you be a good little boy and tell Daddy which numbers you are talking about? Daddy may not be as smart as his little boy.

Well, at least you admit the problem out the door, and since you insist...

Using a control source of the worlds we have explored, we have roughly 120 places where life could arise. To date, we have found exactly one. There are a few candidates, few places to look, but life's only confirmed in one place. This includes all nine planets (Pluto is a planet, damnit), their respective moons and the little guys hanging out in the nosebleed section... Sedna, Quaoar, etc. etc.

So 1 in 120, give or take. Less than a percent. Not too hot for the home team until you look at the number of planets outside our solar system that we've discovered. That's hovering around 400 at the moment, goes up a few every month or so. That's more than enough to hit a positive in a 1 in 120 chance. More than enough to hit it twice.

So if its sheer math you want, there it is.
Josef cv

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 04:34 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;69130 wrote:
Well, at least you admit the problem out the door, and since you insist...

Using a control source of the worlds we have explored, we have roughly 120 places where life could arise. To date, we have found exactly one. There are a few candidates, few places to look, but life's only confirmed in one place. This includes all nine planets (Pluto is a planet, damnit), their respective moons and the little guys hanging out in the nosebleed section... Sedna, Quaoar, etc. etc.

So 1 in 120, give or take. Less than a percent. Not too hot for the home team until you look at the number of planets outside our solar system that we've discovered. That's hovering around 400 at the moment, goes up a few every month or so. That's more than enough to hit a positive in a 1 in 120 chance. More than enough to hit it twice.

So if its sheer math you want, there it is.

Who gives a $hit?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 05:22 am
@Josef cv,
Josef;69131 wrote:
Who gives a $hit?

Apparently you do.

First you get mad and insult him demanding the "numbers" and then when he gives them to you, then you grumble *who gives a *****.

It's amusing to me
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:12 am
@Josef cv,
Josef;69131 wrote:
Who gives a $hit?

You do, daddy! You asked your "little boy" to school your ass, and he did.

With the numbers put in front of you, in a plain easy to use fashion that anyone should be able to understand, you back off with no avenue for response.

I'll let you lick your wounds before we continue.

Class dismissed Smile
Josef cv

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 12:15 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;69150 wrote:
You do, daddy! You asked your "little boy" to school your ass, and he did.

With the numbers put in front of you, in a plain easy to use fashion that anyone should be able to understand, you back off with no avenue for response.

I'll let you lick your wounds before we continue.

Class dismissed Smile

I have something for you to lick on, sonny boy, but I don't want to contract any fatal disease. You love to harp on one thing, don't you, loser?

Obama sucks like a vacuum pump! LOL! Hahahahahahaha!