• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 12
No top replies

kynaston

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:45 pm
@RonPrice cv,
If Iran were Baha'i it would be a different country, as would the UK and the US be different countries if they were Christian. Meanwhile, we live in the world we live in, and our politicians have to balance the interests of the businesses that finance them with the opinions of the voters who could turn them out if they had any sense. What - apart from converting to your (doubtless excellent) faith would you have them - and us - do now?
RonPrice cv

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 11:08 pm
@kynaston,
kynaston

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 12:49 am
@RonPrice cv,
Okay - it's a rather different point from the one you started with, but is there a petition or such, so that we can do something?
RonPrice cv

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:58 am
@kynaston,
Go to the official international Baha'i site at: bahai.org and become more familiar with the Baha'i stuation in Iran and the nature of the Baha'i Faith--that is my first suggestion.-Ron in Tasmania:)
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 01:55 pm
@RonPrice cv,
RonPrice;66078 wrote:

I believe the general thought of the fundamentalists there is that any non-muslim belief is false and is thus against the will of god (allah). Any perversions of the Baha'i faith pale in comparison of the perversions of the Jewish faith. It has been circulated that the Jews require the blood of a gentile for the celebration of a jewish holiday, however this is a completely false and malicious lie meant to degrade and slander the jewish faith.

Even Christians are often seen as infidels.

The problem as I see it is religious fundamentalism has stifled progress, censored intellectualism, produces propaganda and hate speech, and corrupted the very government that is supposed to serve it's people. Many of the people are medieval in sentiment. This is a dangerous cocktail for violence and unrest. This religious fundamentalism is the very thing that has prevented the free exchange of ideas necessary for a stable society.The difference between the western world and the middle east is that the western world has already had it's ENLIGHTENMENT period and the middle east has not.

Despite their best efforts, new and radical ideas are being leaked into the country by foreigners and through the internet. Once the people start thinking for themselves it is only a matter of time before the current regime is ousted.
RonPrice cv

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:06 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Thanks, Fatal_Freedoms. As you say regarding the general thought of the fundamentalists and non-muslim beliefs, your statement is in the right ballpark in my view. As far as which religions are subject to the worst perversions is concerned, I won't quibble with you on that. The Jews have suffered for 2000 years in relation to such perversions. The Baha'is with their world centre in Israel, I have often felt, have an understanding and sympathetic milieux for their world religion, in part at least due to this fact, this history of religious prejudice.

When you say that "the problem of religious fundamentalism has stifled progress, censored intellectualism, produced propaganda and hate speech, and corrupted the very government that is supposed to serve it's people," I am with you all the way. "Many of the people are medieval in sentiment," for sure.

I liked the point you made about: "The difference between the western world and the middle east is that the western world has already had it's ENLIGHTENMENT period and the middle east has not." Excellent--I've often said/written the same thing.

"Despite the best efforts on the part of those with medieval attitudes, new and radical ideas are being leaked into the country by foreigners and through the internet. Once the people start thinking for themselves it is only a matter of time before the current regime is ousted."-Amen, brother.-Ron
"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent."-Thomas Jefferson....goold old Thomas Jefferson!!
kynaston

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:53 pm
@RonPrice cv,
I believe the key point is that it is supposed to be a Muslim belief that Muhammad was the last prophet, so there cannot be others after him. Jews and Christians are tolerated, because Islam comprehends them. The BBC has been giving some publicity to the current iniquity, I'm glad to say. As a known supporter of Iran here I shall certainly write some letters to some key people, for a start. All regimes are subject to international pressure, quack as they may. My MP is a man of some influence, for a start: I shall get onto him too. Good luck!
RonPrice cv

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:09 pm
@kynaston,
Thanks, kynaston. You are an unusual person to offer your support to the Baha'i Cause after only a brief introduction on the internet. I wish you well in all your efforts personally and professionally.-Ron Price, Australia
0 Replies

Carico

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:01 am
@RonPrice cv,
RonPrice;66078 wrote:

The crisis in Iran will only be solved on judgment day. Wink But I'm sure they won't like the outcome very well. Wink
RonPrice cv

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:07 pm
@Carico,
That was an interesting comment, Carico. The eschatological-theological implications, alone, of your comment could fill volumes. For me: it's time for breakfast or, I should say, brunch.-Ron in Tasmania;)
0 Replies

David cv

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:00 pm
@Carico,
Carico;66168 wrote:
The crisis in Iran will only be solved on judgment day. Wink But I'm sure they won't like the outcome very well. Wink

Muslims believe in Jesus (it's a required belief in fact), you know this yes? As accepting Jesus, by your own words, is all 1 has to do to be 'saved', what will they not like about the result of Judgment Day? Wink

By Christian logic, Muslims are saved and threw in an extra prophet for added insurance. :rollinglaugh:
RonPrice cv

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:22 pm
@David cv,
The question of salvation: in a Christian, Islamic or Baha'i sense is quite a complex theological question/subject. The topic can not really be properly treated in a small box at an internet site. I would say generally, though, from a Baha'i point of view that both belief and actions are required. Then the questions are: (a) belief in who and what and (b) what sorts of actions--when, where, why and how. -Ron Price, Tasmania:peace:
0 Replies