History is progressive

thomascrosthwaite

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:31 am
@thomascrosthwaite,
I'm afraid that I did get off the subject, when I included religion in my statement that history is progressive. Because religion can make powerful men out of many who would otherwise be powerless, there is much dishonsity. Some preachers make a business out of lying. They even claim that they won the Monkey trial in Tennessee when it is a historial fact that the judge didn't allow any evidence of evolution to be presented. See The Scopes Trial.Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 01:38 am
@Grouch,
Grouch;65907 wrote:
And when you exclude the second sentence to make an inaccurate point you sound like an idiot. Go Fatal Freedoms!!

I did not exclude either sentence. But both of your examples are of homosexuality which supposedly shows that homosexuality isn't the norm. Intercrural sex between two greek males is a homosexual act, i'm not sure which law says that it has to be anal in order to be considered homosexual. AT any rate your argument is self refuting.

I really don't see why it even matters how frequently it occurs, I think you are just trying to be contrary.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 02:19 am
@thomascrosthwaite,
thomascrosthwaite;65836 wrote:
I was raised in a fundalimentalist church in the backwoods of Tennessee, where it was against the law to teach evolution at that time. What these people didn't know that people could become athiest by studing the Bible. Dan Barker and Farrel Till are two former hell fare and brimstone preachers, who attended Bible colleges and are now outspoken atheists. These men were not converted in science classes. Rather, by studying the Bible they became aware that it contains many contridictions.

The simplest of which is, if taken at face value, with all things being equal... religious texts are the odd ones out. They don't fit. Every single thing works within a predefined set of parameters and every single thing is defined by these same parameters.

Except religious ideas.

I was a southern Baptist, and even as a kid I noticed that if you look at what religion says and weigh it against science, mechanics, physics, and all of our collected knowledge... religion and its ideas are the rice ball in the fruit basket.

I'm supposed to suspend belief in reality. That's never worked.
thomascrosthwaite

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:50 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;66038 wrote:
The simplest of which is, if taken at face value, with all things being equal... religious texts are the odd ones out. They don't fit. Every single thing works within a predefined set of parameters and every single thing is defined by these same parameters.

Except religious ideas.

I was a southern Baptist, and even as a kid I noticed that if you look at what religion says and weigh it against science, mechanics, physics, and all of our collected knowledge... religion and its ideas are the rice ball in the fruit basket.

I'm supposed to suspend belief in reality. That's never worked.

I agree. Preachers like to use science and everything else as long as it reflicts favorablely with their arugments. I was raised im the Church of Christ, and I sometimes wounder which is the most radical them of the Southren Baptist Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
0 Replies

kynaston

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:58 pm
@thomascrosthwaite,
In some respects the present is progressive: we are escaping from the dominance of religious organisations and I reckon most people in most places are more tolerant of sexual and religious deviation. On the other hand, it is growing much harder to challenge capitalist orthodoxy, to form unions, to be free of govenment surveillance, to escape the tyranny of the media-driven mob. Torture and brainwashing, it seems to me, are growing far more common, and it is easy for authorities to work up a huge fear of 'devils' like paedophiles or 'terrorists'. If I were in a childrens' playground here and a child fell over and grazed her/his knee, I should be taking my life in my hands if I picked him/her up for a hug. Swings and roundabouts, in my view.
Carico

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:37 am
@kynaston,
Actually, according to atheists, history depends on a vote. :rollinglaugh: I read in the parade today that scientists fear they'll have to admit that the Big Bang is wrong. Wink But since atheists reject God, they have no clue what happened in history. It simply depends on the changing stories of scientists.Laughing
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:47 am
@Carico,
Carico;67002 wrote:
Actually, according to atheists, history depends on a vote. :rollinglaugh: I read in the parade today that scientists fear they'll have to admit that the Big Bang is wrong. Wink

What is the "parade"?

It doesn't surprise me that you would believe whatever you read.

Quote:
But since atheists reject God, they have no clue what happened in history. It simply depends on the changing stories of scientists.Laughing

Scientists don't write history, historians do.
0 Replies

Ares cv

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:45 am
@Carico,
Carico;67002 wrote:
Actually, according to atheists, history depends on a vote. :rollinglaugh: I read in the parade today that scientists fear they'll have to admit that the Big Bang is wrong. Wink But since atheists reject God, they have no clue what happened in history. It simply depends on the changing stories of scientists.Laughing

... Your rambling non-sense offers no help to ANY thread on this forum, except you make a good person to utterly prove wrong when I'm sitting at work bored... Aside from that, you're just... A troll that HATES atheist because they don't believe what you believe. Do you even KNOW any atheist? Peronally? Any in your family? ANYTHING? Or is your entire basis of what an atheist is, based off of what your manipulative theist peers and pastor(s) have told you? See in fact, you FEAR atheist... You really do... I used to be like that, my youth pastor and my church pastor built a FEAR for atheists inside of me... I built the image of rampant baby killers that roamed the earth spreading terror... It didn't take me long to figure out that it was in fact the opposite, maybe you should do the same.
Carico

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:31 am
@Ares cv,
Ares;67089 wrote:
... Your rambling non-sense offers no help to ANY thread on this forum, except you make a good person to utterly prove wrong when I'm sitting at work bored... Aside from that, you're just... A troll that HATES atheist because they don't believe what you believe. Do you even KNOW any atheist? Peronally? Any in your family? ANYTHING? Or is your entire basis of what an atheist is, based off of what your manipulative theist peers and pastor(s) have told you? See in fact, you FEAR atheist... You really do... I used to be like that, my youth pastor and my church pastor built a FEAR for atheists inside of me... I built the image of rampant baby killers that roamed the earth spreading terror... It didn't take me long to figure out that it was in fact the opposite, maybe you should do the same.

"The prudent see danger and take refuge. The simple keep going and suffer for it." Wink

Atheists are simple. So they don't see danger and jump right into the fire.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:31 am
@Carico,
Carico;67206 wrote:
"The prudent see danger and take refuge. The simple keep going and suffer for it." Wink

Atheists are simple. So they don't see danger and jump right into the fire.

What do you care?
0 Replies