Patriot Act DOES harm Citizens

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
Part of Patriot Act ruled unconstitutional - U.S. Security - MSNBC.com

Looks like a judge finally had the sack to rule against this horrible measure. God Bless America.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,422 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Drakej

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:57 pm
@Freeman15,
This is what happens when we allow fear to over rule common sense. The Patriot Act was put in place by we the people. They where doing it before it was "real" any ways, but that isnt the point. We give an inch they take a mile. So dont give.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:02 am
@Drakej,
A print misread has probably ruined this mans life. I'm glad he got the 2 million , but that won't happen often. it is really hard to sue the government and now good luck getting them pay up.

And how many of us have finger prints on file that could be " misread"?

I know I had to get finger printed in Ohio to get my Sales License.

And the mere act of talking on forums like this under the expanded patriot act could be deemed as causing decent and the President could decide we are dangerous to American security . He is the decider, and he can delegate that role under the patriot act to any goons he chooses. Can you imagine a idiot like Rush Limbaugh or Bill O' Rilely ( not them actually) but men who think like them , being delegated the authority by the patriot act and our presidents powers under it to decide who is a security risk?

Geez they'd round up and imprison half the country. Or try anyway.
0 Replies

kmchugh

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:30 am
@Freeman15,
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:50 am
@Freeman15,
So I guess we should just give up and let anyone that wants this country have it....
Freeman15

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:04 am
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;39309 wrote:

They haven't appealed it though, and SCOTUS hasn't ruled it unconstitutional. Victory for liberty is all this is, I'd think you'd be on board with that.

Oh, and the government has made no statements that they desire an appeal, and yes, the judge DID rule searches under PATRIOT unconstitutional. Until a superior court rules otherwise, the government can take a hike.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;39329 wrote:
They haven't appealed it though, and SCOTUS hasn't ruled it unconstitutional. Victory for liberty is all this is, I'd think you'd be on board with that.

Oh, and the government has made no statements that they desire an appeal, and yes, the judge DID rule searches under PATRIOT unconstitutional. Until a superior court rules otherwise, the government can take a hike.

It's funny, I've seen a couple forums where some people actually attacked the judge as being too liberal because she called a spade a spade, it just happened to be a spade they supported.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:16 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;39321 wrote:
So I guess we should just give up and let anyone that wants this country have it....

We already have.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:29 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;39331 wrote:
We already have.
And that the sad part,I could sue the VA, but that wouldn't help anyone, but the lawyer.
mlurp

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
@92b16vx,
;39330 wrote:
It's funny, I've seen a couple forums where some people actually attacked the judge as being too liberal because she called a spade a spade, it just happened to be a spade they supported.

Right on.92b16vx
I wonder what AMERICAFIRST thinks about this in depth? Give an inch and they might not have the brass thingys to get it back in line.

See how the Patriot Act does do great injustice to the American people. Now go after the White House list of names whom might be dragged away in the dark under the RICO ACT because the ATTY. General deems them subversive.
And while one is at it check out the many different executive orders the Bush presidents have written.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:32 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;39334 wrote:
And that the sad part,I could sue the VA, but that wouldn't help anyone, but the lawyer.

We've given up so much in this country because of fear that it's... well... frightening. Things like the PATRIOT Act (The last thing dubbed Patriot by the gov't was a missile... I don't wanna live under one of those either) and all the goodies you've heard about warrantless wiretaps and searches, secret prisons, torture, and the like make me wonder what country I am in again.

Why are worried about these terrorists taking away our freedoms when we gladly give them up on a silver platter, never to be seen again?

This is America. Some things should NEVER change, no matter the enemy we face.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:38 pm
@Sabz5150,
Km chugh is right this will be appealed.

Sabz I quoted your post because I liked it so much. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sabz5150;39350 wrote:
We've given up so much in this country because of fear that it's... well... frightening. Things like the PATRIOT Act (The last thing dubbed Patriot by the gov't was a missile... I don't wanna live under one of those either) and all the goodies you've heard about warrantless wiretaps and searches, secret prisons, torture, and the like make me wonder what country I am in again.

Why are worried about these terrorists taking away our freedoms when we gladly give them up on a silver platter, never to be seen again?

92b16vx

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:49 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39367 wrote:
Km chugh is right this will be appealed.

On what legal grounds? Having a fingerprint is enough maybe to get a warrant, but it appears it is not enough to do warrantless search and seizures. The 4th is quite clear, and the PATRIOT Act is trying to muddy it up.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:55 pm
@92b16vx,
92 b

You obviously are a virgin to the mess our legal system is. Exxon has never paid off on the mess they made in Alaska , that's right after 20 years they appealed as recently as may 2007 and will keep appealing.

Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia scroll down to litigation to get the story of the legal mess.

And did you know that no law exists that puts a time limit on how long a judge can take to rule on a case. Thats right forget speedy justice. I sued a county for over taxing my clients one time . Took 10 grand out of my own pocket 13 years ago and that was a lot of money back then and sued for what was obviously tax collection that did not follow the codes. they were collecting way too much from new homeowners. The auditor and clerk of court fell all over themselves blaming each other for the wrong doing . Almost got in a fist fight in court blaming the over taxation on each other. No brainer right I won. Nope the judge just never ruled on the case. if he had at least ruled against me I could have moved it on to the state supreme court. But he never ruled. My attorneys and I tried everything to get him to rule. And in the mean time I found out from other attorneys that they had cases like mine that had never been ruled on and were 8-12 years old. Just prior to the judge retiring 6 years after my case was heard I got a notice in the mail that due to the length of time since the judge had heard the case he did not feel qualified to rule on the case . Too much time had passed he said . As he was retiring I was free to refile the suit and have the new civil court judge hear it. .... Forget it. The old creep made a pass at me in his chambers one time. But bet you anything even had I done him , he would never have ruled. Creep. I should have sued him for harassment , but that would have just been another waste of money in a heavily Republican county and state. They take care of their own. I registered independent after that!
Believe me the legal system in this country has as many loop holes for the powerful as does our tax code. If they want this case to go away it will. Evidently they got a judge willing to make a statement about the Patriot act. Good for him. But you can bet collecting the money will be another matter because that would validate the verdict and set precedent.

The case will get kicked up above this judges pay grade , and disappear in the legal system.

And you can bet this judge will never make US attorney under the Bush administration.

92b16vx;39372 wrote:
On what legal grounds? Having a fingerprint is enough maybe to get a warrant, but it appears it is not enough to do warrantless search and seizures. The 4th is quite clear, and the PATRIOT Act is trying to muddy it up.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:05 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39374 wrote:
92 b

You obviously are a virgin to the mess our legal system is. Exxon has never paid off on the mess they made in Alaska , that's right after 20 years they appealed as recently as may 2007 and will keep appealing.

Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia scroll down to litigation to get the story of the legal mess.

And did you know that no law exists that puts a time limit on how long a judge can take to rule on a case. Thats right forget speedy justice. I sued a county for over taxing my clients one time . Took 10 grand out of my own pocket 13 years ago and that was a lot of money back then and sued for what was obviously tax collection that did not follow the codes. they were collecting way too much from new homeowners. The auditor and clerk of court fell all over themselves blaming each other for the wrong doing . Almost got in a fist fight in court blaming the over taxation on each other. No brainer right I won. Nope the judge just never ruled on the case. if he had at least ruled against me I could have moved it on to the state supreme court. But he never ruled. My attorneys and I tried everything to get him to rule. And in the mean time I found out from other attorneys that they had cases like mine that had never been ruled on and were 8-12 years old. Just prior to the judge retiring 6 years after my case was heard I got a notice in the mail that due to the length of time since the judge had heard the case he did not feel qualified to rule on the case . Too much time had passed he said . As he was retiring I was free to refile the suit and have the new civil court judge hear it. .... Forget it. The old creep made a pass at me in his chambers one time. But bet you anything even had I done him , he would never have ruled. Creep. I should have sued him for harassment , but that would have just been another waste of money in a heavily Republican county and state. They take care of their own. I registered independent after that!
Believe me the legal system in this country has as many loop holes for the powerful as does our tax code. If they want this case to go away it will. Evidently they got a judge willing to make a statement about the Patriot act. Good for him. But you can bet collecting the money will be another matter because that would validate the verdict and set precedent.

The case will get kicked up above this judges pay grade , and disappear in the legal system.

And you can bet this judge will never make US attorney under the Bush administration.

I know you probably got all happy slipping in the "virgin to our legal system" ASSumption, but...

On what legal grounds will the ruling be appealed?

Try not to do an end run around the answer, just give an answer, and while you are at it you can retract you false ASSumption too.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:09 pm
@92b16vx,
I did not mean anything at all by the virgin comment 92B

In fact at first I had written "you obviously know nothing about the legal system in this country." Thought that sounded rude and condescending and on a whim changed it to virgin sounded better. Sorry if virgin upset you I meant nothing by it , it was just the term I picked. Like I am a virgin to installing car carburetors. because I have never even attempted to work on a car engine.

I am not a lawyer , I have no idea on what grounds they will appeal. But I am very familiar with the loop holes and wrangling that goes on in the legal system so I know a appeal will happen.

Apparently the terminology I used so upset you that you missed the point of my post. The powerful elite in this county and the government can do just about anything they want to do including manipulating the courts.

Now 92B will you apologize to me when the appeal happens? Since it seems to be a big deal to you?
92b16vx

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:17 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39378 wrote:
I did not mean anything at all by the virgin comment 92B

In fact at first I had written "you obviously know nothing about the legal system in this country." Thought that sounded rude and condescending and on a whim changed it to virgin sounded better. Sorry if virgin upset you I meant nothing by it , it was just the term I picked. Like I am a virgin to installing car carburetors. because I have never even attempted to work on a car engine.

I am not a lawyer , I have no idea on what grounds they will appeal. But I am very familiar with the loop holes and wrangling that goes on in the legal system so I know a appeal will happen.

Apparently the terminology I used so upset you that you missed the point of my post. The powerful elite in this county and the government can do just about anything they want to do including manipulating the courts.

Now 92B will you apologize to me when the appeal happens? Since it seems to be a big deal to you?

IF the ruling is over turned on appeal yes, I will. I don't think that it will be since the incident is already seen as an embarrassment to the agency, and they settled in a suit.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:26 pm
@92b16vx,
Ah when did overturned come into play?

I thought we were talking about if it would be appealed. Which it will most certainly be appealed. And from there lost I would imagine or hung up in court for years at the very least.

92b16vx;39379 wrote:
IF the ruling is over turned on appeal yes, I will. I don't think that it will be since the incident is already seen as an embarrassment to the agency, and they settled in a suit.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:35 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39383 wrote:
Ah when did overturned come into play?

I thought we were talking about if it would be appealed. Which it will most certainly be appealed. And from there lost I would imagine or hung up in court for years at the very least.

Simply appealing it doesn't mean a whole lot, getting it over turned would mean something. Mass murderers appeal convictions all the time, that's doesn't mean they get it, or that they didn't do it.

I still do not think it will see the appellate, and notice of appeal doesn't mean anything unless a judge thinks it has merit, and if they settled, I don't think they will produce anything of merit. I could be wrong, maybe it will see the USCAFC.
0 Replies

AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:52 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;39350 wrote:

wasn't we talking this one case? actually you nor I will know what the terrorist are going to do, if someone tell you he's going to kill you and your love ones are you going to play it off as a joke? list I belivev y'all (many of you) hate Bush so bad, that your willing to over look crap just to get you jabs in..I have nothing to hide and if the cia , fbi or who the hell ever want to question me that fine, as long as it to defend me and my family, now you can keep blameing until you a dead child in your arm, but by than it will be to late and your on damn fault...noone is perfact, and this one case.