Courageous Soldiers Go AWOL

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:07 pm
Fed Up American: More Soldiers Going AWOL

Please watch the video prior to responding.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,580 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Freeman15

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:30 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
I am torn on this issue. On the one hand, they signed a contract submitting themselves to military jusidiction.

On the other hand, they took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. This war is unconstitutional, so their desertion and activism could be considered adherence to that oath.

I support them. Had we declared war on Iraq, I would support locking the guys up, but since the war is unconstitutional, these soldiers not only have the right, but the DUTY to refuse to deploy. Godspeed brothers.
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:53 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42937 wrote:
I am torn on this issue. On the one hand, they signed a contract submitting themselves to military jurisdiction.

On the other hand, they took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. This war is unconstitutional, so their desertion and activism could be considered adherence to that oath.

That's a riot, and I'll tell you why

Firstly, the president does have authority to engage in military action without congress for up to 60 days (this is why Panama and Grenada were legal under Reagan). The war in Iraq did not exceed the 60 day mark, by that time we were already in a "peace keeping roll", which likewise doesn't require congressional authorization (that's why Vietnam was legal)

And that's why those in the know, who's education surpasses their capacity to bitch and moan, understand that Bush didn't actually break any laws in Iraq. Interestingly enough while his opponents scream impeachment none of them have yet to actually consider doing it seriously, because they know this.

Secondly (and this one should ring a bell to the anti Bush crowd): due process,as it concerns governmental power, says that if the Executive Branch or the Legislative Branch does something suspect it must be deemed unconstitutional by the Judicial branch for it to become such. That's checks and balances. You can't go deeming something unconstitutional and disobeying lawful military orders because "that's my opinion".

It's interesting to note that the Constitutionality of this war has yet to be challenged by ANY democrat or Republican, Ron Paul included, to the Supreme Court. Just further proof that those in the know, know you're wrong.

I'll read the article later but 9 times out of 10 these instances rightfully result in

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2004/71/gotojail.gif

FEDUP why is it every time you defend a US solider they're either AWOL or fabricating stories about war crimes?
Freeman15

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:59 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;42943 wrote:
That's a riot, and I'll tell you why

Firstly, the president does have authority to engage in military action without congress for up to 60 days (this is why Panama and Grenada were legal under Reagan). The war in Iraq did not exceed the 60 day mark, by that time we were already in a "peace keeping roll", which likewise doesn't require congressional authorization (that's why Vietnam was legal)

And that's why those in the know, who's education surpasses their capacity to *** and moan, understand that Bush didn't actually break any laws in Iraq. Interestingly enough while his opponents scream impeachment none of them have yet to actually consider doing it seriously, because they know this.

Secondly (and this one should ring a bell to the anti Bush crowd): due process,as it concerns governmental power, says that if the Executive Branch or the Legislative Branch does something suspect it must be deemed unconstitutional by the Judicial branch for it to become such. That's checks and balances. You can't go deeming something unconstitutional and disobeying lawful military orders because "that's my opinion".

It's interesting to note that the Constitutionality of this war has yet to be challenged by ANY democrat or Republican, Ron Paul included, to the Supreme Court. Just further proof that those in the know, know you're wrong.

I'll read the article later but 9 times out of 10 these instances rightfully result in

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2004/71/gotojail.gif

FEDUP why is it every time you defend a US solider they're either AWOL or fabricating stories about war crimes?

Show me in the Constitution where Congress is authorized to permit the president to deploy troops. Show me in the Constitution any clause that makes the War Powers Act legal.

Just because it is federal statute doesn't make it legal. Without a declaration of war, NO MILITARY ACTION IS LEGAL. Read your Constitution.

Further, using your logic, soldiers, if ordered to kill civilians intentionally would be obligated to obey, since it requires a court to deem an action legal or illegal.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;42943 wrote:

Cite your sources on that pearl of wisdom please.
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:37 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;42947 wrote:
Cite your sources on that pearl of wisdom please.

well you started this thread and you were all over the "phony soldiers" scandal... even if you didn't quite do your homework first...
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:38 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42945 wrote:
Show me in the Constitution where Congress is authorized to permit the president to deploy troops. Show me in the Constitution any clause that makes the War Powers Act legal.

show me where it says it's illegal, the Supreme Court is the body which decides this, not you
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:52 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42937 wrote:
I am torn on this issue. On the one hand, they signed a contract submitting themselves to military jusidiction.

I support them. Had we declared war on Iraq, I would support locking the guys up, but since the war is unconstitutional, these soldiers not only have the right, but the DUTY to refuse to deploy. Godspeed brothers.

Only the Supreme Court determines constitutionality. They signed up. They're obligated.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:08 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;42955 wrote:
Only the Supreme Court determines constitutionality. They signed up. They're obligated.

Actually, Article III doesn't grant SCOTUS Judicial Review, they unlawfully assumed that authority in Marbury v. Madison. They have judicial authority to rule on cases arising under the laws enacted under the Constitution, but are nowhere granted the right to interpret the document itself.

You guys would benefit greatly from actually reading the document from time to time.

Further, your position flies in the face of current laws that demand that a soldier refuse to obey unlawful orders. This would fall under such a provision, since it is CLEARLY unconstitutional.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:16 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42963 wrote:
Actually, Article III doesn't grant SCOTUS Judicial Review, they unlawfully assumed that authority in Marbury v. Madison. They have judicial authority to rule on cases arising under the laws enacted under the Constitution, but are nowhere granted the right to interpret the document itself.

You guys would benefit greatly from actually reading the document from time to time.

Further, your position flies in the face of current laws that demand that a soldier refuse to obey unlawful orders. This would fall under such a provision, since it is CLEARLY unconstitutional.

Thank you for clarifying that. I'll call Chief Justice Roberts tomorrow to straighten this mess out with these new insights.:thumbdown:
Freeman15

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:38 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;42967 wrote:
Thank you for clarifying that. I'll call Chief Justice Roberts tomorrow to straighten this mess out with these new insights.:thumbdown:

Read the document. Show me where the SCOTUS is given authority to interpret the Constitution.

Just because they do it, doesn't mean it's legal.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:19 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Bushbot apologist never get tired of ignoring the constitution like the puppetmaster does.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 11:19 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
oh I'm sorry, did me reminding you of your baseless liberal blogging... (could there be any other kind), bother you? beyond that didn't you ask me for an example?

and I'll ask you for a second and final time, do not refer to me, or any other board member as "son"
Drakej

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 12:38 am
@FedUpAmerican,
These guys all enlisted. Every man or woman that signs there name should accept that it is possible they will have to go and fight. I have never been in the military but it seems to me that you are told what to do and you do it. Your rights are more or less suspended while you are under contract. I have several friends over there as we speak, and these guys feel that it is okay to abandon them. I have never been in war, so I really do not know what it is like. But if these guys thought it was gonna be all rainbows and sunshine with a free education and they wouldn't have to go and fight. They should have thought about it a little more.
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:22 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42945 wrote:

Just because it is federal statute doesn't make it legal. Without a declaration of war, NO MILITARY ACTION IS LEGAL. Read your Constitution.

Further, using your logic, soldiers, if ordered to kill civilians intentionally would be obligated to obey, since it requires a court to deem an action legal or illegal.

Sorry, but you don't rate a defense of the Constitution or explanation of it. The Constitution transcends you, by many light-years. Besides, you should know more about it as an American citizen by now. Your libertarian anarchy is a pipe-dream and/or lurid nightmare. Forget it.:no:
Freeman15

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 05:53 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;43021 wrote:
Sorry, but you don't rate a defense of the Constitution or explanation of it. The Constitution transcends you, by many light-years. Besides, you should know more about it as an American citizen by now. Your libertarian anarchy is a pipe-dream and/or lurid nightmare. Forget it.:no:

I'm not seeing any Constitutional evidence supporting undeclared war......
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:30 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;43001 wrote:
These guys all enlisted. Every man or woman that signs there name should accept that it is possible they will have to go and fight. I have never been in the military but it seems to me that you are told what to do and you do it. Your rights are more or less suspended while you are under contract. I have several friends over there as we speak, and these guys feel that it is okay to abandon them. I have never been in war, so I really do not know what it is like. But if these guys thought it was gonna be all rainbows and sunshine with a free education and they wouldn't have to go and fight. They should have thought about it a little more.

Your rights are..."amended" while in the service, BUT it is your duty to disobey any illegal orders.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 09:00 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;42996 wrote:
oh I'm sorry, did me reminding you of your baseless liberal blogging... (could there be any other kind), bother you? beyond that didn't you ask me for an example?

and I'll ask you for a second and final time, do not refer to me, or any other board member as "son"

Deleted by Admin As the video stated, MORE AND MORE soldiers are going AWOL because of what YOUR president, their commander in chief has done to Iraq, America and the world.

Because of bush, thousands of people are dead. More are maimed and crippled for life. What makes him any different than Saddam or even binLaden? They are all terrorists in their own right.

Deleted by Admin
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 09:22 am
@FedUpAmerican,
bickering belongs in Private message, and your "terms of endearment" are derogatory, if somebody else is doing likewise to you then report it, don't copy it

back on topic or thread closes
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:38 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;43038 wrote:
Your rights are..."amended" while in the service, BUT it is your duty to disobey any illegal orders.

This is a real problem because a soldier is suppose to obey the last oder given him/her then seek higher authority to not to respond. But like the situation in Nam where ordered to shoot civilians by Lt. Callie or what ever his name was. they were tried for obeying. So it is a bad situation for the troops.
But AWOL is just that. Not present for duty and in times of war it can bring a death sentences. Not that this is a war. But they took a oath. And as I have pointed out before Jesus, warned us about taking oaths.... But what ever the reason they chose to go AWOL I know these guys today face some bad situations over there. An if they wern't informed by now they were fools for signing up, period with out knowing they would be sent over there. Remember the slogan, An Army of One. At this point in time the Army can't allow anyone to go AWOL for any reason. I served and felt it was just a mess and a promotion place for the officers to avoid being passed over or brcome retired. But even thought I in the middle of it all felt it was wrong I had buddies that needed me as I them.
And that ismy take on it which I am sure will be ignored. loooooool