One Atheist's Holiday Season

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:37 pm
Merry Christmas, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
How touching, that the thread stopped with a post by noddy. I wish her a Merry Christmas in spirit, this year and in all to come.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Touching and probably not by chance. Merry Christmas, Noddy. Merry Christmas, Edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 06:28 pm
@Intrepid,
Merry Christmas, intrepid.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:01 pm
Last year was such a fine Christmas. I try to have a good one every year. I feel expansive enough to wish a happy holiday to even the posters I have on "ignore."
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Based on your last post... I take it that I am not on the ignore list. Very Happy
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:04 pm
@Intrepid,
I hope I can consider you a friend.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I hope I can consider you a friend.

That would please me. Even Christians and atheists can be friends, contrary to what some may believe. It is what lives in one's heart that counts.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:11 pm
@Intrepid,
Most of my friends are Christians, incuding my wife and a few of my children.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:15 pm
a happy christmas - or whatever your preference - to all , near and far !
already shopped for matzoball mix yesterday . btw i first had matzoball soup in jack dempsey's restaurant in NYC some 30+ years ago and developed an instant liking for it .
hbg

http://www.corgihouse.com/bilder/stickkunst/erster%20advent.jpg
dyslexia

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:21 pm
@hamburger,
well you know what they say, good taste is timeless.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:28 pm
@hamburger,
matzoball soup - I have never had occasion to try this. Perhaps one day I shall.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:30 pm
@dyslexia,
...and does not respect political boundaries ! Wink
hbg

i'm sure you'll like this fellow as the "festive season" approaches : knecht ruprecht

http://bilderkiste.de/phpcliparts/media/knecht_ruprecht_sack.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 09:35 pm
The Companions of Saint Nicholas (or Father Christmas) are a group of closely related figures who accompany St. Nicholas in many European traditions. The tradition is particularly strong amongst the Germanic peoples, with some regional expression in the U.S. (largely from European ethnic groups).

The most recognized companion, especially outside of Europe, is Knecht Ruprecht, which translates as Farmhand Ruprecht or Servant Ruprecht. Other companions include Krampus (Austria, Bavaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Friul, Hungary [spelled Krampusz]), Klaubauf (Bavaria, Austria, Bartel (Styria), Pelzebock, Pelznickel, Belzeniggl, Belsnickel (Pennsylvania), Schmutzli (Switzerland), Rumpelklas, Bellzebub, Hans Muff, Drapp or Buzebergt (Augsburg), Hanstrapp (Alsace, East of France) and Le Père Fouettard (Northern France). In the Czech Republic, St. Nicholas or Svatý Mikuláš is accompanied by the Čert (Devil) and Anděl (Angel). These servants are often associated with, but are distinct from Saint Nicholas' helpers in the Netherlands and Flanders (called Zwarte Piet, meaning Black Pete(r) in English).
Wickepedia
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 04:45 pm
Wull, I been out in the yard, putting up a wire deer, spiral tree, and lots of lights. My wife put some big snowflakes on the fence and helped unravel lights and cords. Whew. I'm done in. Time for some r and some r.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 06:25 pm
If people don't want to be joyful, how are you going to stop them? Dept.:
You can't. You can only carry the one candle and hope there are enough of them burning to engulf the darkness like a thousand suns.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:57 pm
Going to the company Christmas party this evening. We won't stay more than a few hours. It is held at the Cadillac Bar, in N Houston. The man I work with is going with me. His wife prefers to skip it, and my wife is going to be busy with her job. We just want to eat and be available for any awards or door prizes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
Several a2k people and/or families are having health issues this season. Here is my sincere wish that all will be well with each and every one of them, so they can wince at my Holly Jolly Christmas thread some more seasons in the future.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://images.chron.com/apps/comics/images/2008/12/24/Pluggers.754.g.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 09:51 pm
And an atheist Christmas to all.