The Beginning Of a Revolution

B A N A N A S

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:03 pm
@wjharve,
Go protest at rap concerts, hold proper parenting classes, teach black children about what MLK's life was really about.

The al sharptons, 50 cents, and P Diddy's of your race are the problems here, not the 'white man'.
Dmizer

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm
@wjharve,
Yes this is 2007, so what is this inequality you speak of? Education? You speak of a getting a hard time. Let me tell you about a hard time, I was born into a family of eight children. Father left when I was 11 yrs old. My mother worked 110 hrs a week. We had enough to eat but not much else. I lived in a low income housing development in Philadelphia area (Chester). I worked hard at school so as to not let my mother, who worked herself to an early grave, down. When it came time to appliy for college, I tried to get into the Unversity of Penn, I had a 3.9 GPA. A good friend of mine who was African American also applied. He had a GPA of 3.2, He was accepted while I was not. I guess that was the white man giving him a hard time. He has since gone on to become a very successful business man in his own right. We are still friends and speak on occasion. He believes the world is what you make it. If you want to find inequality, then you will. If you want to find success and work hard then you will. If you want to find oppression then you will. The world is not fair, it never will be. American way is oppression? The American way is the reason why African American's are no longer Slaves. The American way began the dismantling of slavery that was business as usual for 500 years. The American way may take longer still to reach your idea of equality, but it is the best system (imperfect as it is) in the world.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" --JFK

wjharve,
Do agree with affirmative action? Do you believe scollarships and grants only available to African Americans is in of itself a form of racism?
briansol

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 12:17 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13499 wrote:
50 cent word's are a reflection of his life he lived and can not do nothing to hinder me just piss you off.

right. It doesn't effect you, because you (and I) KNOW better. Biggie is one one of my favorite artists of all time for the "stories he told". Great stuff in a lot of his music.

The problem is, kids look up to 2pac, biggie, and 50cent and say "I want to be a gang banger, drive six fours, and bang blunts, 40's, and bitches fo' sho'" instead of "Damn, this guy had a hard life, but turned it around and now he's in word-up magazine instead of reading and dreaming about it. I should sit down, gather my thoughts and make music about the stuff I've been through".

Note, I said kids.... not blacks, not whites. ALL kids.

The power to make that decision lies in parental influence more than anything.

Like all things in life, there are choices to be made.

I'm white.
I (mostly) listen to hardcore and metalcore music.

Stereotypically, I could come off as a "white power" individual.
But, if an outsider actually did some research, they would realize that 99% of hardcore music is positive, telling you to better your self.

This happens to be on my winamp as I type

Quote:

This Calling
All That Remains

I secretly crave, crave that scent again
Still feel it pressing on me now
Now with the onset, my flesh is weakening
I steel my nerves for temptations at hand again

And I hear this calling still you don't seem so far at all
And I hear this calling out

No secrets deception for these would tear this down
I'll note the past spare the pain
words match my deeds with brutal honesty
never forget these choices were made by me

Not falling victim to the fire that burns inside of me
though I am fearful I will not prevent this tragedy
My strengths been tested I wear the scars that prove
Still I believe that this calling will see me through

My strengths been tested I wear the scars that prove
Still I believe that this calling will see me through

(if you care to actually hear the track its on my myspace page as my current song.

www.myspace.com/pissedoffsol
)

To my point.... 98% of rap music is about "the life" or "the game" or "blunts, 40's and bitches"

and I'd hazzard a guess that 98% of young black Americans listen to rap/hip hop.

Now, I'm not remotely trying to point the finger at music as I don't believe it is the cause for anything (in the same way, i don't believe that violent video games breed killers in the future, etc) but it presents a picture to them from a very young age of what their role models are doing.

One of my favorite bands is Killswitch Engage.
They are also a metalcore band, similar style to the above linked song.

3 of the band members hold degrees in music from Berkley and UHartford school of music, the drummer participates in a symphony orchestra in spare time, the bass player is an established graphic designer that has done the liner notes for over 10 national-level albums of various bands.

then, they get together and tour and play out hard/heavy music that they enjoy.

As a kid looking to this band as a role model, they see Damn, these guys worked real hard to get to where they are, got a degree, participate in community, and so on instead of "Ok, I need to sell crack, get some 20's on my SUV and cheat on my girl".

While it doesn't effect everyone, the pull is there to "the life".

Humans are the 1 creature with the ability to reason. Black, white, or any shade of gray, that reason exists and any choice made is that of their own self.
0 Replies

wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:21 pm
@B A N A N A S,
B A N A N A S;13502 wrote:
I dont think its good practice to allow my kids to grow up thinking their life's goal is to "pimp slap ho'es", and have "bluntz and B i t c h ezz" . . . . if you do that your a bad parent.

White parents dont do that . . Chineese parents dont do that . . . Mexican parents dont do that. I guess the black parents need to get their act together.

You sir are the racist here. You think all races are out to get you.

So if Aldolf Hitler rapped, you'd let your kids spam their minds with "reflections of his life"??

Your Hippocrasy underscores the problems with 'black america' today. People like you are keeping the shackles of slavery on your own race and hindering their progress.

Aldolf Hitler had a right to speak his mind and I will defend his right to say it, or any member of the KKK but I will not support their right to oppress people. Remember, words can't hurt any race just action. I don't nor do I want to have kids so it's not 50 cent job to be a parent to other people kids. And the last time I checked White America purchases more rap C.D. than Black America. And on the real black parents tends to be more stricter than whites. By the way I have two interracial nephews with one on the way, so just trust me I understand the current situation. Honestly, I think that everybody has misinterpreted my letter and maybe I should be clearer but " I DON'T THINK ANYONE OWES ME ANYTHING, EVERYTHING I GOT I WORK MY ASS OFF FOR, AND IN THE CURRENT BOOK BOOK THAT I AM WRITING "LETTERS OF FRUSTRATION" I HAVE HARSH WORDS OF CONDEMNATION FOR AL SHARPTON AND JESSIE JACKSON. I WILL ADDRESS BLACK AMERICA FLAWS JUST AS I POINT OUT AMERICA, MY GOAL IS NOT TO HINDER MY PEOPLE OR ANY OTHER RACE INSTEAD I WRITE THESE LETTERS IN HOPE OF CREATING UNITY. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THE WORLD IS NOT SET ON UNITY. THE PAST IS THE PAST BUT SHOULD I BITE MY TONGUE BECAUSE DEMOCRACY IS NOT PERFECT? I AM TRYING TO BE THE BEST PERSON THAT I CAN BE SO LIKEWISE I WANT TO LIVE IN THE BEST WORLD THAT I CAN. I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE BUT I AM DEAD SET ON ACHIEVING EQUALITY. IT'S NO EXCUSE WHY WE CAN'T AND IF YOU THINK THAT EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE THEN I HAVE NOTHING ESLE TO SAY.
B A N A N A S

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:39 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13520 wrote:
IN THE CURRENT BOOK BOOK THAT I AM WRITING "LETTERS OF FRUSTRATION" I HAVE HARSH WORDS OF CONDEMNATION FOR AL SHARPTON AND JESSIE JACKSON. I WILL ADDRESS BLACK AMERICA FLAWS JUST AS I POINT OUT AMERICA, MY GOAL IS NOT TO HINDER MY PEOPLE OR ANY OTHER RACE INSTEAD I WRITE THESE LETTERS IN HOPE OF CREATING UNITY. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THE WORLD IS NOT SET ON UNITY. THE PAST IS THE PAST BUT SHOULD I BITE MY TONGUE BECAUSE DEMOCRACY IS NOT PERFECT? I AM TRYING TO BE THE BEST PERSON THAT I CAN BE SO LIKEWISE I WANT TO LIVE IN THE BEST WORLD THAT I CAN. I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE BUT I AM DEAD SET ON ACHIEVING EQUALITY. IT'S NO EXCUSE WHY WE CAN'T AND IF YOU THINK THAT EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE THEN I HAVE NOTHING ESLE TO SAY.

I hope you use spell check, proper punctuation, and lowercase letters in your book.
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:41 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;13508 wrote:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" --JFK
Wjharve,
Do agree with affirmative action? Do you believe scollarships and grants only available to African Americans is in of itself a form of racism?

The only thing I ever asked for is equality. Lets not forget that point. Affirmative action is not the solution to Black America problems. The problem is why is there a need for anything in a democracy set on equality and way do other feel offended because Blacks believes they have a right to equality. Nobody life should be tougher just because of their race,religion,sex, sexual orientation,age, or for any other dumb reason and I will defend all these causes not just Black America. Affirmative Action has nothing to do with equality, on the real Affirmative Action is a political move to attain Black America vote. Let's not play politics because that is the problem with equality. I am open to any ideas to improve my race and you should do the same, so why is everybody fussing. I am beyond blaming others and by the way what will that solve. I JUST WANT EQUALITY FOR ALL NOTHING MORE AND NOTHING LESS.
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 01:52 pm
@B A N A N A S,
B A N A N A S;13523 wrote:
I hope you use spell check, proper punctuation, and lowercase letters in your book.

FUNNY, BUT IF I WAS AN FOOL I WOULD CHANGE THE SUBJECT TOO. WRITING A BOOK AND CHATING OVER THE INTERNET IS TOO DIFFERENT THINGS. JUST FOR YOU SWEETHEART I WILL STARTING CHECK MY GRAMMAR IN BETWEEN ACHIEVING MY EQUALITY. BE CIVIL, A FOOL THROWS AROUND INSULTS. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME. MY BAD, I AM NOT YOUR EQUAL BECAUSE I'M BLACK SO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE GRAMMAR CHECK. LOL
B A N A N A S

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:17 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13526 wrote:
UST FOR YOU SWEETHEART I WILL STARTING CHECK MY GRAMMAR IN BETWEEN ACHIEVING MY EQUALITY.

Please also check your capitalization.

Back on topic:

You already have your equality. Give me an example where you dont.
briansol

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:41 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13524 wrote:
Affirmative Action has nothing to do with equality, on the real Affirmative Action is a political move to attain Black America vote. Let's not play politics because that is the problem with equality.

Um, are you sure?

AA was established post 1960's reform era, to enforce the new combined society rulings.

Today, it should be obsolete IMO, along with EOE's and all the rest that require large companies to hire X amount of Y race to make it happy, thereby not always getting "the best man for the job".
B A N A N A S

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 02:56 pm
@wjharve,
. . . . still waiting on that example of inequality.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 04:34 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13451 wrote:
I want equality for all but my letter is focus on Black America and considerating that I am Black that makes a lot of since to me. Find a better reason to defend injustice.
Perceived injustice!
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:18 pm
@briansol,
briansol;13530 wrote:
Um, are you sure?

AA was established post 1960's reform era, to enforce the new combined society rulings.

Today, it should be obsolete IMO, along with EOE's and all the rest that require large companies to hire X amount of Y race to make it happy, thereby not always getting "the best man for the job".

What's your point ? Sound like politics to me and if you notice in the letter I say things like that should be obsolete.
0 Replies

wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13524 wrote:
I JUST WANT EQUALITY FOR ALL NOTHING MORE AND NOTHING LESS.

What is wrong with that?
0 Replies

wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:29 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;13508 wrote:
The American way may take longer still to reach your idea of equality, but it is the best system (imperfect as it is) in the world.

If you know that it's not perfect then why should I or anybody else settle for less? I'm about improve myself and the world not oppressing people.
0 Replies

wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:37 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;13542 wrote:
Perceived injustice!

I guess Rodney King got beat up because he was white. No, I'm sorry it's all in my mind. Sorry again you probably feels that his beating was justified because all blacks are criminal because of hip hop. Please wake up and join me in the real world.
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:46 pm
@B A N A N A S,
B A N A N A S;13507 wrote:
Go protest at rap concerts, hold proper parenting classes, teach black children about what MLK's life was really about.

The al sharptons, 50 cents, and P Diddy's of your race are the problems here, not the 'white man'.

Nope, you are because 50 cent is sucessful and the last time I checked so was Al Sharpton and P Diddy. I'm ashamed of Democracy and you not them. They are not the oppressors but on the other hand they represent sucessful Blacks. Now what is wrong with that?
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 07:50 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;13447 wrote:
Personally i think the fight is in your head.

I think the Mexicans beat you to the jump.

I guess it's trouble for the U.S. if the Blacks and the Mexican joined together. It does not matter to me who starts the revolution just as long as equality is achieve.
wjharve

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:16 pm
@B A N A N A S,
B A N A N A S;13529 wrote:
Please also check your capitalization.

Back on topic:

You already have your equality. Give me an example where you dont.

You could never understand my struggle because you are not me just as I can not understand your struggle but that don't mean they don't exist. On the real, reread this part of my letter and you will learn that I am beyond the point of gaving example. I am not begging for my equality, I am demanding it. Thank you

"Some people will say this is nothing but anti-American propaganda, but I am an American, and most importantly, a believer in free speech. You can criticize or debate what I say, but history is my proof. The Constitution gives me the right to make known my frustrations with this country. I wish that the topics that I will discuss in this letter weren’t true, but they are and I have moral and personal reasons to not just turn the other cheek. Anyway, I have never been a cheek turner, but I have been known to turn cheeks. I refuse to just sit, wait, and hope that one-day America will change. I shouldn’t have to expect my equality tomorrow or the day after, I want my equality today. Let’s get the ball rolling America, we can and we must.

There is no compromising when you are dealing with mandatory rights. To quote an infamous president, George W. Bush (43rd),”you are either with us or against” for freedom or against freedom, but America I ask you: What will you stand for? How in the hell can Americans be fighting in Iraq to establish democracy when the real fight is in the United States of America? I can only come up with one: America cares more about Iraqis than they do about the welfare of Black America. Saddam Hussein is dead and gone, yet Jim Crow is still walking and kicking. Where is the logic in that America? How long do you really expect Black America to be this country doormat? Enough is enough, and I can guarantee you that if America chooses to continue to walk over Black America that a racial war will be on our horizon.

Now that may sound crazy, but the reality is that the majority of my race is frustrated with this country, and you should never under-estimate a group of people who desires to be free. I will now end this brilliant better-put forewarning letter with a quote from James Baldwin’s book The Fire Next Time:

“When I was very young, and was dealing with my buddies in those wine- and urine-stained hallways, something in me wondered, What will happen to all that beauty? For black people, though I am aware that some of us, black and white, do not know it yet, are very beautiful. And when I sat at Elijah’s table and watched the baby, the women, and the men, and we talked about God’s or Allah’s vengeance, I wondered, when that vengeance was achieved, What will happen to all that beauty then? I could also see that intransigence and ignorance of the white world might make that vengeance inevitable- a vengeance that does not really depend on, and cannot really be executed by, any person or organization, and that cannot be prevented by any police force or army: historical vengeance, a cosmic vengeance, based on the law that we recognize when we say, “Whatever goes up must come down.” And here we are, at the center of the arc, trapped in the gaudiest, most valuable, and most improbable water wheel the world has ever seen. Everything now, we must assume, is in our hands; we have no right to assume otherwise. If we-and now I mean the relatively conscious whites and the relatively conscious blacks, who must, like lovers, insist on, or create, the consciousness of the others-do not falter in our duty now, we may be able, handful that we are, to end the racial nightmare, and achieve our country, and change the history of the world. If we do not now dare everything, the fulfillment of that prophecy, re-created from the Bible in song by a slave, is upon us: God gave Noah the rainbow sign, No more water, the fire next time!”

I will always preach peace, but I will never exclude violence as a reasonable option because my mind’s capacity is too vast to limit my expectation of a completely free and functioning democracy in America. I dream like King but fight like Ali. Created in God’s image, I am a king among kings, a rose in a concrete jungle. I need water and this is my last warning: I am officially frustrated America. Until the next letter, be good, be safe, and be peaceful with love and faith. ONE"
briansol

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:30 pm
@B A N A N A S,
wjharve;13585 wrote:
I guess Rodney King got beat up because he was white.

Rodney king got beat up because he resisted arrest.

if a cop says jump, you jump. Rodney king played this very same "you pulled me over because i'm black" bullshit and instead of just listening to instructions, resisted and got his ass kicked.

Granted, it was excessive, but had he said "Yes sir, here's my license" none of that would have ever happened.

wjharve;13597 wrote:
You could never understand my struggle because you are not me just as I can not understand your struggle but that don't mean they don't exist.

I have no struggle. I eat, sleep, go to work, and hang out on line.... Just as you do.

Quote:

On the real

That is getting real annoying.

oh wait, i'm oppressing you. sorry, i don't want to do that any more :p
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2007 09:31 pm
@wjharve,
wjharve;13585 wrote:
I guess Rodney King got beat up because he was white. No, I'm sorry it's all in my mind. Sorry again you probably feels that his beating was justified because all blacks are criminal because of hip hop. Please wake up and join me in the real world.

Quote:
I guess Rodney King got beat up because he was white.

Rodney King got beat up because he was resisting arrest. Where you getting your information?
Quote:
No, I'm sorry it's all in my mind.

As per the court decision, i would say yes, it is in you mind.
Quote:
Sorry again you probably feels that his beating was justified because all blacks are criminal because of hip hop.
His beating was justified because they ordered him to stay down, and you know the rest of the story.
Quote:
Please wake up and join me in the real world

I left your world about thirty years ago.
0 Replies