Vick "takes a knee" and pleads guilty

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 02:19 pm
FOXNews.com - Vick Enters Guilty Plea in Dogfighting Case - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

well glad he maned up and admitted it, although the odds were staked against him

still I hope he isn't let off with probation or something, these are federal felonies and I hate to see celebs walk...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,562 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 05:26 pm
@Silverchild79,
Hell be lucky to be playing by 2010 if he's lucky.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:17 am
@Silverchild79,
He wont play in the NFL again. 2010? not a chance. We will see him in NFL europe or CFL if he is going on the field in the future.

Anyone who took him in the Fantasy Draft, I point and laugh at you, anyonw who took the Falcons starting Running back... There is your sleepr of the year boys and girls.
westernmom

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:50 am
@Silverchild79,
It all boils down to kids that come from poverty striken homes that make BIG bucks and getting every whim pampered and not having a value system to fall back on. They have no clue how to handle themselves. No morals, no standards and lots of money to throw around. When you make six figures just for warming the bench it's hard for these kids to get their priorities straight.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:08 am
@Silverchild79,
I know plenty of people who grew up poor and have wonderful moral fiber

I'm not sure I understand your point, are you saying they should have had money earlier in life?

My dad grew up dirt poor, like not enough food poor. He's a "millionaire next door" now and we haven't had a dog fight in, oh let's see, ever.

Michael Vick is scum period, his brother is scum too (arrested for armed robbery, kicked off out VT's team for stepping on a players throat). Having more money or government health care wouldn't have changed that.

However neither had a father in the home, I think that's a much more likely cause...
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:14 am
@Silverchild79,
I know money doesn't fix the problem. I'm just saying that they way these athletes jump from one life into another doesn't prepare them to handle themselves very well. That's one reason so many get into trouble.

My son in law played with quite a few guys that are now in the NFL and is good friends with them and it's pretty sad to watch how they are destroying their lives with all of the cash they have and no moral fiber to back it up.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
I agree Western, todays sports heros are big on talent and very low in the morals department. Integrity is a learned trait, and a vast majority of sports heros have none.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:09 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;32171 wrote:
He wont play in the NFL again. 2010? not a chance. We will see him in NFL europe or CFL if he is going on the field in the future.

Anyone who took him in the Fantasy Draft, I point and laugh at you, anyonw who took the Falcons starting Running back... There is your sleepr of the year boys and girls.

Agreed - the public and the NFL have short memories. Did you know that a number of college seniors were asked if Germany was an enemy or an ally in WWII and more than half got it wrong..?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:25 pm
@Silverchild79,
To be honest (......for once),

I'm ashamed of the Black spokes-people in the media who are trying to turn this into a racial issue. The man is a sadist.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:08 pm
@Silverchild79,
I really hope that Vick gets what is coming to him. The part that makes me mad the most isn't the fact that he hosted dog fights and all that, it was the way in which they killed the dogs that didn't do well.

And whats all this about Vick acting this way because he was poor? That is a pretty lame exuse. I know kids that grew up in nice middle to upper middle class homes with a 2 parent family and they are some of the most screwed up people around. They shove more of the white lady up there nose then most "impoverished" people I know. He is a grown man, he should be responsible for his actions as a man. Don't try and down play his choices. No one held a gun to his head.
westernmom

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:02 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;32346 wrote:
I really hope that Vick gets what is coming to him. The part that makes me mad the most isn't the fact that he hosted dog fights and all that, it was the way in which they killed the dogs that didn't do well.

And whats all this about Vick acting this way because he was poor? That is a pretty lame exuse. I know kids that grew up in nice middle to upper middle class homes with a 2 parent family and they are some of the most screwed up people around. They shove more of the white lady up there nose then most "impoverished" people I know. He is a grown man, he should be responsible for his actions as a man. Don't try and down play his choices. No one held a gun to his head.

I wasn't saying that being poor is an "excuse" for the way a lot of these guys handle fame and money. It's part of the explaination for their bad behavior.

I totally agree that they need to be held responsible for their actions and hope that they don't just let him off because of who he is. It's like the steriod abuse cases. They are prosecuting the drug makers and sellers but what about the athletes that take them?
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:25 am
@Silverchild79,
Personally, I do not believe being poor is the root cause of bad behavior. My grandparents were dirt poor Iowa farmers and lived completely honorable lives while raising 4 children, all of whom went on to lead successful lives.
westernmom

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:45 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;32531 wrote:
Personally, I do not believe being poor is the root cause of bad behavior. My grandparents were dirt poor Iowa farmers and lived completely honorable lives while raising 4 children, all of whom went on to lead successful lives.

I grew up poor but I think that my life was totally different than that lived by kids that grow up in the slums. Even though my mom struggled a lot I had grandparents that taught me values. I think the family unit is so broken in the lives of a lot of these kids that they have three strikes against them before they even start. Gosh, I'm starting to sound like a bleeding liberal. My bad....
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:48 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;32549 wrote:
I grew up poor but I think that my life was totally different than that lived by kids that grow up in the slums. Even though my mom struggled a lot I had grandparents that taught me values. I think the family unit is so broken in the lives of a lot of these kids that they have three strikes against them before they even start. Gosh, I'm starting to sound like a bleeding liberal. My bad....

I agree entirely - but is the answer to pour millions upon millions into those areas with little or no accountability..? Of course, the answer is no. The problems of the poor are very complicated - may take generations to overcome, if ever....
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:26 pm
@Red cv,
Red;32322 wrote:
I agree Western, todays sports heros are big on talent and very low in the morals department. Integrity is a learned trait, and a vast majority of sports heros have none.

a lot of athletes come from deprived backgrounds,many lack a good education,but as you say are very talented,so they go from having nothing to being millionaires,they live the high-life,drugs,drink,sex ! that sounds great Very Happy
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:41 pm
@Silverchild79,
I grew up dirt poor... And I am a sadist and pyro maniac, I like to poor gasoline down mole hills and light it. (Fire comes out of three holes sometimes HAHA. and I like to take magnafying glasses and roast ants... Maybe dogs is the next step to me... I blame it on slavery, and being poor.
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:42 pm
@Silverchild79,
Speaking of the gasoline down a mole hill... Cameron... do you remember that big tree in front of our house? I caught that bitch on fire in my assassination attempt of a pesky mole.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:41 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;32581 wrote:
I grew up dirt poor... And I am a sadist and pyro maniac, I like to poor gasoline down mole hills and light it. (Fire comes out of three holes sometimes HAHA. and I like to take magnafying glasses and roast ants... Maybe dogs is the next step to me... I blame it on slavery, and being poor.

So were you with my husband when he took the gas pump on the farm and started squirting gas all over the place and then lit a match to watch it burn in the "designs" he created? Oh, and then burned down the outhouse???
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:03 pm
@Silverchild79,
Send Vic to prison. Make him pay. Cruelty is unacceptable.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:58 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;32346 wrote:

Stupid is as stupid does....Let's not pretend that Jethro and Homer ain't doing the exact same thing, in the hollers of Tennessee, or the backwoods of Alabama. To do so, would be to make it a "racial thing". Never forget that there are at least 2 kinds of justice in this society.
What Vick did was inexcusable, and he should bear the brunt of his actions.
But Jethro and Homer are not NFL quarterbacks, making millions of dollars, and are not the subject of envy, outrage, and prejudice.
0 Replies