did this ever happen to you?

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:37 am
ok im single, which im happy with, fooling around with like minded (female) friends, but last week i was kissing this girl, and in the middle i forgot who it was. it sort of freaked me out, cos for like another minute i forgot who i was with. then i saw her face, knew who it was, which desk at work she has, conversations we've had over the past 6 months or so shes been in the office, but i couldnt remember her name until i got home in the early hours. is this sort of thing normal? id only had a couple of bottles of wine and a 6 pack, so it wasnt alcohol. and advice? comments? abuse? it really freaked me out! cheers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,121 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:40 am
Is this Slappy's new nom de net....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:44 am
Re: did this ever happen to you?
hello wrote:
id only had a couple of bottles of wine and a 6 pack, so it wasnt alcohol.

You are right. It really cant be the alcohol. U need to see the doctor I guess........
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:55 am
why would i go see a doctor? i dont understand that comment
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:57 am
Ahhhh, sounds like a young alcoholic to me. I remember in the early days of my drinking, Id forget little things too, like where I parked. Then, as I matured into a seasoned professional drunk, i would forget entire days .
Yes, it couldnt be the alcohol, could it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:58 am
Quote:
id only had a couple of bottles of wine and a 6 pack, so it wasnt alcohol.

If you think that a couple of bottles of wine and a six pack did not cause what happened to you, IMO, you don't need a doctor, you need A.A.!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:00 am
If this is a serious post, lemme tell you, it was the booze. 2 bottles of wine and a six pack?? I am guessing you are young too. Wake up, before you really do damage to yourself.
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:04 am
yeah ok id had a bit, but i was fine. was walking no prob, remembered other stuff later that night, even committed a waitress' name and number to memory (this was after original occurance, and more drinks). Aslo, said amount of drink is not considered a huge amount here (I live in Switzerland), especially when consumed over 5-6 hours. Maybe different standards or something. not needing to call A.A yet! :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:06 am
Good morning, Slappy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:09 am
hello- I think that you are in denial. Listen to the guys who have "been there, done that". I don't care where you come from. If you think that a couple of bottles of wine and a 6 pack over one evening is no big deal, you have a B-I-G problem. Deal with it before it overwhelms you!
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:09 am
sorry cav, didnt see you there. depends what you mean by serious. if your refering to truth, then yes everything i say is accurate (and confirmed by pals). its not a life endangering problem so in that respect its not serious. i just would like to hear people comments to an unusual occurance that happened to me.
by the way, although i am young (27) i am old enough to make responsible decisions and not let them get out of hand. cheers
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:14 am
Isn't the first sign denial? Let's put it this way....on average, there are 6 glasses of wine in a bottle, and a regular-sized beer (12 oz.) is considered one drink. Assuming you were not drinking pints, that adds up to 18 drinks in that 5-6 hour period. The liver generally processes one drink per hour. You were drunk dude. If this was a one-off, I wouldn't worry. If that level of consumption is a regular thing, I would think about it. Alcoholics don't always stumble around, slur their words and forget things. They are just called "functional," which is BS.
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:17 am
wow this feels like an attack. form your own opinions as you will, but here goes: yeah it might be a lot, but i have no drug/alcohol problems. i started smoking at 11, then quit at 20 (7 years now with no cigarttes). ive never touched any other drug outside of hospital. i hold down a secure job at an international company here. ive never been injured, been in a fight, or injured someone else as a result of being drunk. ive been physically sick because of it one time when i was 13. ive never had memory problems before, and and in good physical condidtion. and that amount although not sonsidered too high, is not something i would do on a weekly basis. maybe you all still think im a moron with a problem but thats just really not the case.
i just wanted peoples opinions on what happend to me
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:17 am
I had a feeling it was Slappy, but hey, maybe the kids can benefit from this. Laughing
0 Replies

hello

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:19 am
by the way im not 'slappy' whoever that may be.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:26 am
Sorry there. Nobody's calling you a moron or attacking you, but the consensus seems to be that it was most likely the booze. Also, whatever country you might be from, lovely Switzerland it is, that is still considered a large amount of booze by most doctors worldwide. Ergo, it was the booze. No hard feelings, that's just what it was. Stuff happens.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:28 am
I'll differ from the pack. Fisrt I know you are not Slappy and second I'm not sure you have a drinking problem.

The numbers you cites were common for me to hear and even say when I used to party more. They were usually padded a bit but alcohol tends to do that.

3/4 of a bottle becomes a bottle because your pal's a wuss and didn't drink much of it..

In any case I don't think you can determine a problem merely on the basis of quantity. I used to drink a bottle of vodka a day (ok, so it was with dan-e so it wasn't really a whole bottle but the beer makes up for it).

I have little predisposition to addiction to alcohol. Just about anything else yes, but alcohol is simply not something I can even imagine myself addicted to.

So despite the quantities I drank it did not result in addiction and I had no problems stopping. It was also not adversely affecting my life in any way except perhaps health.

And frankly my health is my own business and if I decide to drink it's up to me if it's a "problem" as long as I am adversely affecting no one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:36 am
If you normally consume this amount in a social situation, you are a bit over the edge. Alcohol intake is not a political boundary issue, its metabolism and toxins from breakdown products.
i was already an alcoholic at 27 and was an associate professor and was called all over the world for my craft.
Get some discipline and see what results. You will find that you are a more boring person (to yourself) but you will remember names.
Of course, there is the other possibility that you have early onset Alzheimers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:05 am
Quote:
And frankly my health is my own business and if I decide to drink it's up to me if it's a "problem" as long as I am adversely affecting no one.

I am the first one to agree with you on that. The fact that hello asked the members the question that he did indicated to me that he was concerned about what happened to him.

Quote:
The numbers you cites were common for me to hear and even say when I used to party more. They were usually padded a bit but alcohol tends to do that.

There are people who are alcohol abusers who drink much more than people who have alcoholism, which is a disease. At one time in my life I could drink just about anyone under the table. I am grateful that I did not have the propensity to become an alcoholic, 'cause I would have been in BIG trouble.

Hello- Check this out, and see if anything sounds familiar!
http://www.paulhutchinson.com/signsof.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 09:24 am
Phoenix, the genetic component was, when I was trying to become sober, not understood except for the relationship of the metabolic pathways of a few long named enzymes. These enzymes resulted in the production of increased amts of acetaldehyde in the bloodstream. We now know the genetics of this. In many ways, my own sobriety has become a scientific inquiry into specific metabolic paths.
All the symptoms listed are scary when one finally realizes that one has been fooling oneself al along. For me, the scariest experiences were the constant panic attacks as I sobered up, usually before my classes . Again, an acetaldehyde reaction, easily handled by 20 mikes of valium. Therein lay another problem
As I look back and see the developing signals of my own addiction when I was in my 20s, my reaction is always" How could I be so stupid as to believe all my own rationalization",
0 Replies